What were some of the overlooked things last night?

Portyansky

I know it's just pre season.... To me it was Elliott, happy we let him kick instead of going for it. He needs to get his head right and did well last night.

• Like 1

Looks like the 6th round DT from Charmin USC is going to be on the PS.  thought he might show better than he did.  The 6th round DE from Coastal Car has a shot to make the roster.  Can't cut DEs that can rush the QB.  Good chance they don't make it thru waivers.  We have to cut JJ and go with 5 WRs.  Easy to call one up from the PS if needed.  Don't need one to sit in the press box every game.  And we need that spot to keep 10 OL, specifically that FA OG from Buffalo most probably.  Not sure he would clear waivers and that kid has the potential to start at RG in two years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Portyansky said:

I know it's just pre season.... To me it was Elliott, happy we let him kick instead of going for it. He needs to get his head right and did well last night.

Speaking of him... he barely made that one kick that the broadcasters said was straight down the center

Was it overlooked that we barely ran the ball? Defense also was tired pretty quickly

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Speaking of him... he barely made that one kick that the broadcasters said was straight down the center

Was it overlooked that we barely ran the ball? Defense also was tired pretty quickly

Oh well, he made it. He made more over 47 yards in yesterday's game then all of last year. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Oh well, he made it. He made more over 47 yards in yesterday's game then all of last year. 

I still don’t trust him. Even when he was good he was much better 45 yards and beyond than he was making extra points and kicks inside of 35 yards. I need to see more.

i think we keep 4 tight ends if we keep ertz.. which at this point i would like to do he looks pretty good out there.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I still don’t trust him. Even when he was good he was much better 45 yards and beyond than he was making extra points and kicks inside of 35 yards. I need to see more.

I don't, I already expect him to be sporadic. 

3 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I don't think that game represented what we'll see in real games. The coaches obviously wanted to see how the 3rd sting defense handled being tired. There was no rotation at all or blitzing. I think they wanted to measure the players' effort.

Gainwell is going to be a matchup nightmare for some teams. I love how he is able to lineup anywhere and he definitely has some juice. I think he will be used a lot against teams like the Cowboys and Falcons who have struggled mightily over the years covering running backs. It wouldn’t suprise me if he had 50-60 catches this year. I don’t think he will be a huge volume guy running the ball but I definitely see him being used on third downs slot. Him and Scott are our best receivers out of the back field and I could definitely seeing them being used together on the field to create mismatches. Sanders can also be a choice but he has to stop dropping the ball like last year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SlimReaper4Six said:

Gainwell is going to be a matchup nightmare for some teams. I love how he is able to lineup anywhere and he definitely has some juice. I think he will be used a lot against teams like the Cowboys and Falcons who have struggled mightily over the years covering running backs. It wouldn’t suprise me if he had 50-60 catches this year. I don’t think he will be a huge volume guy running the ball but I definitely see him being used on third downs slot. Him and Scott are our best receivers out of the back field and I could definitely seeing them being used together on the field to create mismatches. Sanders can also be a choice but he has to stop dropping the ball like last year. 

No way anyone has close to that many catches with the qb 

howard might make the team was surprised he started and he had a very good block on blitz pickup

• Like 1

You can’t take too much from a pre season game, but I felt pretty good about the game. Hurts did fine. Watkins looks like a player. Reagor ran a couple of really nice routes. The first team D looked pretty good. Elliot will never be automatic, but hopefully can get back to 2017/18 levels.

Couldn’t care less about our 3rd stringers struggling. 

I’m cautiously optimistic for the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheesteakitis said:

i think we keep 4 tight ends if we keep ertz.. which at this point i would like to do he looks pretty good out there.

I think so too. My current thinking is 4 TEs and 5 WRs on the final roster, meaning only one among Fulgham, Hightower or JJAW will make the team. 

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

I don't think that game represented what we'll see in real games. The coaches obviously wanted to see how the 3rd sting defense handled being tired. There was no rotation at all or blitzing. I think they wanted to measure the players' effort.

Yes the coaches used the game as they should to see who on the 3rd string DL might be able to play.  

15 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

To me Alex Singleton's play was the most surprising.

Singleton played like he did last year. I was pleased (because he missed most of camp), but not surprised. Bradley also was real active which was nice to see since he didn't get a lot of defensive snaps last year. I wish we could see Taylor in some preseason work since he was getting a lot of 1st team reps before he was hurt. 

I actually feel pretty good about our LBs this year. 

• Like 1

I thought the waterboy was good, better than last years anyway

2 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

I think we’re throwing a few passes to Ertz in preseason to show that he has recovered so we can move him and keep the three other good ones we have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metal said:

I think so too. My current thinking is 4 TEs and 5 WRs on the final roster, meaning only one among Fulgham, Hightower or JJAW will make the team. 

Fulgham - roster

Hightower - PS

JJAW - cut

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Not worried about defense getting tired quickly. Listened to several former NFL players who said no conditioning can really get you into football shape, that it’s from the games.

3 hours ago, olsilverhair said:

No way anyone has close to that many catches with the qb 

Why are you hating on him so much? What has he done to make your assessment? Look at what the Colts do with Naheim Hines. Nick said that we will be focusing on getting the ball to running backs in the passing game a lot more than we have in previous seasons. Mckinssic had Dwayne Haskins and Alex Smith as his QBs and they were either terrible or couldn’t actually play the position well enough due to his serious injury. 

I don’t know what the reason for the Hurts hate, every game he played in he was giving us a reallly good chance to win the game. I think you all are just hooked on the fact he got benched for a 5 star player in Tua who before his injury was a projected number one pick by tons of evaluations from many NFL scouts and GMs.

The kid was a Heisman finalist and has shown he isn’t afraid of anything and has overcome all obstacles so far. What makes you think he can’t make it in the NFL. 
In my opinion I think he can be a top 12-17 QB and basically be what Russell Wilson was in his early years in Seattle. His pocket awareness has shown significant improvement since his college days. He may never be a 68-70 percent passer but I have faith that he will win us games and not be a liability. 
My prediction for this year 

Hurts 3600 yards 63% completions 26Tds 560 yards rushing 6TDS  Win Loss Record 9-8 we are second in the division and get the last wild card . We lose his first playoff game

Elliott is fine on the long FGs, but he seems to have a brain cramp on the extra points, 33 yards out. He barely made that one. Really makes me nervous.

7 hours ago, SlimReaper4Six said:

Hurts 3600 yards 63% completions 26Tds 560 yards rushing 6TDS  Win Loss Record 9-8 we are second in the division and get the last wild card . We lose his first playoff game

Either he's turning the ball over too much, or our D will be terrible. Those QB stats seem to be better than 9-8. 

7 hours ago, SlimReaper4Six said:

Why are you hating on him so much? What has he done to make your assessment? Look at what the Colts do with Naheim Hines. Nick said that we will be focusing on getting the ball to running backs in the passing game a lot more than we have in previous seasons. Mckinssic had Dwayne Haskins and Alex Smith as his QBs and they were either terrible or couldn’t actually play the position well enough due to his serious injury. 

I don’t know what the reason for the Hurts hate, every game he played in he was giving us a reallly good chance to win the game. I think you all are just hooked on the fact he got benched for a 5 star player in Tua who before his injury was a projected number one pick by tons of evaluations from many NFL scouts and GMs.

The kid was a Heisman finalist and has shown he isn’t afraid of anything and has overcome all obstacles so far. What makes you think he can’t make it in the NFL. 
In my opinion I think he can be a top 12-17 QB and basically be what Russell Wilson was in his early years in Seattle. His pocket awareness has shown significant improvement since his college days. He may never be a 68-70 percent passer but I have faith that he will win us games and not be a liability. 
My prediction for this year 

The issues many of us have with Hurts have absolutely nothing to do with getting benched for Tua.

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

Either he's turning the ball over too much, or our D will be terrible. Those QB stats seem to be better than 9-8. 

Lots of QBs with way better stats then that and still can't win