OT Clark Activated...Too Many OLmen

weko

We have 12 NFL OLmen.  Maybe another shoe to drop.  Dillard has next to no trade value and Howie won't cut him.  Maybe he gets stashed on IR out of site for another 11 months.  Maybe we trade one of our guys for a pick.  Or maybe they keep 10 and they will waive the OG FA from Buffalo and hopes he clears and makes it to the PS. Without an injury we have a bit of a logjam there.  And that doesn't count the 2nd rounder.  Stoutland loved Opeta.  Too many bodies here...

19 minutes ago, weko said:

We have 12 NFL OLmen.  Maybe another shoe to drop.  Dillard has next to no trade value and Howie won't cut him.  Maybe he gets stashed on IR out of site for another 11 months.  Maybe we trade one of our guys for a pick.  Or maybe they keep 10 and they will waive the OG FA from Buffalo and hopes he clears and makes it to the PS. Without an injury we have a bit of a logjam there.  And that doesn't count the 2nd rounder.  Stoutland loved Opeta.  Too many bodies here...

Maybe just stash Dickerson on IR, give him a redshirt year to get healthy , it's not like they need him this year.

If the kid from buffalo makes it past waivers I imagine he'd be a protected player on the PS.

He's shown some promise.

Like you said seems the coaches like Opeta and I'm not sure there's room for him 

I think either way the eagles are going to be cutting some good O lineman.

The shoe to drop will be Dickerson, Lane, and Brooks not being able to play most of the year.  So we have 12, but it's going to be 9 before you know it.

Watching the Saints/Ravens preseason game. 

Hill in at QB for the Saints…. Let’s just say currently Winston is winning the QB battle. 

2 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Watching the Saints/Ravens preseason game. 

Hill in at QB for the Saints…. Let’s just say currently Winston is winning the QB battle. 

Winston has his flaws, but he’s a qb.  It was obvious he was going to be the right guy for that job.  

7 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

McSorely just isn’t an NFL QB. Not even a backup 

Was that ever a debate? 

18 hours ago, weko said:

Hmm... I thought cut down day was a little ways off yet.   They have a lot of bodies in the OL room right now.  When they cut down to 53, there won't be 12, that's guaranteed.  Maybe 8, maybe as many as 10.  Dickerson will start on PUP, he won't count against the 53 for quite some time, by which time another injury might befall the group.  

Clark is in no way guaranteed to make the squad.  He's an insurance policy.  Lots of time between now and when the final cuts are made for injury, trade or for some to really separate themselves.

• Like 1

Indeed the OL is deep.  Good mix of vets and young players.  This is an extra game this season and they need to have the back-up ready for the older players.  I'd imagine they will trade someone for pick.  A high quality problem if there is one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Winston has his flaws.

Like throwing 30 interceptions a few years ago? 🤣

It's Sunday and they have to cut 3 guys by Tuesday. One of them is sure to be an offensive lineman. My guess - Casey Tucker gets waived/injured. 

That will leave - 

• T - Johnson, Mailata, Dillard, Driscoll, Toth, Clark
  • G - Brooks, Seumalo, Dickerson, Herbig, Pryor, Perrschbacker, Opeta, Awisoka
  • C - Kelce, Juriga, Crider

I don't agree there is no value in Dillard - a 4th or a 5th is reasonable from a team that has a couple of injuries at tackle. When the Bears see how bad Peters is, watch for them to knock on the door. 

No way Awosika clears waivers.

Gotta find a way to stash him on the roster.

He's going to be a quality starter in a few years.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Utebird said:

Maybe just stash Dickerson on IR, give him a redshirt year to get healthy , it's not like they need him this year.

Don't they? Kelce is another year older and has managed incredibly to miss very little time (but who knows if that can continue). Brooks is coming back off of another Achilles tear and we don't have a lot of depth behind Seumalo. I think they are going to need Dickerson this year for sure.

20 hours ago, eagle45 said:

The shoe to drop will be Dickerson, Lane, and Brooks not being able to play most of the year.  So we have 12, but it's going to be 9 before you know it.

Unfortunately this. Not sure those will be the exact names but the way our luck has gone the past few seasons, we'll have an unrecognizable starting 5 by around week #10.

How is Pryor still there? I expect he won't be for much longer.

52 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

How is Pryor still there? I expect he won't be for much longer.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/8/9/22616862/philadelphia-eagles-training-camp-interviews-jason-kelce-alex-singleton-fletcher-cox-updates

As far as some of the other lineman — especially with Brandon Brooks and Isaac Seumalo sidelined with injuries early — Kelce says Matt Pryor is having "an excellent camp” at right guard and is starting to get some work at right tackle as well, just to get experience at multiple spots.

Based on last season, my expectations are low. However, if he worked hard to improve since then and has indeed become a better player, demonstrating it in camp, all the better for us. We have some pretty good depth at O-line without Pryor. I won't be surprised if we see at least one of these fringe guys (or Dillard) traded before the cuts to a team with holes on the O-line (like miami, Jacksonville).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/8/9/22616862/philadelphia-eagles-training-camp-interviews-jason-kelce-alex-singleton-fletcher-cox-updates

Based on last season, my expectations are low. However, if he worked hard to improve since then and has indeed become a better player, demonstrating it in camp, all the better for us. We have some pretty good depth at O-line without Pryor. I won't be surprised if we see at least one of these fringe guys (or Dillard) traded before the cuts to a team with holes on the O-line (like miami, Jacksonville).

What did he do last offseason to improve then?  Nothing?   Shame on him in that case.    Either way, I'll believe he's improved when I see it.

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

What did he do last offseason to improve then?  Nothing?   Shame on him in that case.    Either way, I'll believe he's improved when I see it.

If you're going to cut everybody that had a disappointing year last year, then we'd only have about 3 or 4 players on our roster. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, brkmsn said:

If you're going to cut everybody that had a disappointing year last year, then we'd only have about 3 or 4 players on our roster. 

Did I say he needs to be cut?  I merely said I'll believe he's improved when I see it.   Obviously, each player has a chance to improve in the offseason... but he was so bad last year... not just disappointing, but almost Jamon Brown level bad.  So, he has a long way to go just to reach 'disappointing' level for me.  

That said, there's still time to make a believer out of the coaches.

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Did I say he needs to be cut?  I merely said I'll believe he's improved when I see it.   Obviously, each player has a chance to improve in the offseason... but he was so bad last year... not just disappointing, but almost Jamon Brown level bad.  So, he has a long way to go just to reach 'disappointing' level for me.  

That said, there's still time to make a believer out of the coaches.

My point is that sometimes players have to learn from the past. My opinion is we overrated him as a rookie when he stepped in for Brooks because he didn't appear to be a liability. In 2019, though, we still had most of the line intact. Last year Kelce was the only constant. Pryor was exposed when the play around him wasn't as good. I don't know how much work (or effort) Pryor put in in the offseason in 2020, but it wasn't a normal offseason either. Things are a little more normal this year and Kelce at least thinks Pryor has had a good camp. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Don't they? Kelce is another year older and has managed incredibly to miss very little time (but who knows if that can continue). Brooks is coming back off of another Achilles tear and we don't have a lot of depth behind Seumalo. I think they are going to need Dickerson this year for sure.

Seumalo, Herbig could both play center, Driscoll even played some center in college.

If brooks goes down Herbig, Opeta ,Driscoll could fill in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

My point is that sometimes players have to learn from the past. My opinion is we overrated him as a rookie when he stepped in for Brooks because he didn't appear to be a liability. In 2019, though, we still had most of the line intact. Last year Kelce was the only constant. Pryor was exposed when the play around him wasn't as good. I don't know how much work (or effort) Pryor put in in the offseason in 2020, but it wasn't a normal offseason either. Things are a little more normal this year and Kelce at least thinks Pryor has had a good camp. 

Sure.  And sometimes players are just not good enough to stick.  We'll see which Pryor is soon enough.

5 minutes ago, Iggle_nj said:

I thought I saw Pryor at LG at the start of the game vs. Pittsburgh on Thursday?

Opeta started at LG.

• Like 1