2019 draft class -- draft picks versus undrafted rookie FAs

hoosierdaddy

We had five picks: Dillard, Sanders, JJAW, Miller, Thorsen.

Only three remain and only one of those three is a lock to make the roster this year.

If TJ Edwards, Herbig and Opeta all make the roster there's a good chance we'll have more undrafted rookies from that class still with the team than actual draft picks.

Great job Howie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

My theory - this is just my opinion - is that the Eagles tend to find pretty decent players in the later rounds and UDFA because at that point Howie doesn't know any of the "names" and there's not opportunity for the "big splash" headlines, and he listens to the scouts and coaches and sticks to the board.  For example with O linemen if the scouts and Stoutland are saying get this guy then Howie drafts him and he turns out good because the people that know what they're talking about wanted him.

• Like 2

Rosebud thinks he knows more than the scouts so that is why the draft is so screwed up every year. He took a one year pro football class "on how to mess up" a draft and he passed with flying colors. Lock him in the broom closet each year during draft week and see how a real draft is handled. 

17 hours ago, slick1234 said:

Rosebud thinks he knows more than the scouts so that is why the draft is so screwed up every year. He took a one year pro football class "on how to mess up" a draft and he passed with flying colors. Lock him in the broom closet each year during draft week and see how a real draft is handled. 

Honestly I think the biggest issue here is the "collaborative effort” campaign the Eagles have spun, because in many ways we don’t know who actually makes the pick. Howie can worm his way out of blame so we don’t really know who picked which player. These sneaky Howie moves go back as far as the Reid days. Seems like the only people who really get blame in the Eagles organization is the coaching staffs. 

3 hours ago, nipples said:

I get your point but… Howie still gets credit for bringing in those UDFAs, no?

hard to say at that point could be a scout says you need to look at this player and he is more willing to listen to them or doesn’t care because it doesn’t cost a draft pick. 

think the point is more that out of 250 picks or whatever is in the draft we got a few bums and a decent player. 

I don’t care the UDFAs are apart of the class. T.J is the normal overachieving LB with not great talent but excellent instincts. Herbig was a very good player for Stanford but his body wasn’t NFL caliber. Opeta was a excellent run blocker who was rough around the edges and needed a year or two Sanders was absolutely the best player and is a key player for years to come. With the little picks we had we did okay. I still can’t believe the JJAW pick I was so mad