IR spots

EaglesFan

How many people here have IR spots in their leagues?  I’ve played fantasy a looooooong time, and never had them (that I can recall, anyway) prior to last season.  While I’ve played in some 12 team leagues, for whatever reason the majority of time I’ve been in ten team leagues.  The bench has always been fairly large IMO, like say a 9 position starting roster with seven bench spots.  I’m guessing this is why I’ve never felt much need for IR spots, one could fairly easily decide to either just keep an injured player on their bench or dump them if it was really proving problematic (in cases where it was assumed the player was actually returning to game action at some point).  

Last season I introduced IR spots for the two leagues I’m commish of, with the agreement that one could only put a player there if they were missing time due to COVID.  My thinking before the season began was that there was a chance of widespread player absences, perhaps even somewhat unexpectedly, and as such wanted to ensure league members had an opportunity to field a starting lineup each week.  It ended up being used in one league as essentially a method to increase their bench size, as they’d put players on there that they probably weren’t planning to start that week in the first place, and grab hot prospects at other positions to stash from the rest of the league.  As such, I decided to forgo IR spots this season.  However, one of my leagues just expanded to twelve teams for this season.  It still has the same roster/bench size (16 total players), but obviously team’s benches won’t feel as deep as the ten teamer.  Would it make more sense to have one IR spot in this league, especially given that COVID seems like it could still be causing players to miss games potentially (and just say IR could be used for anyone designated as such - injured or COVID related), or is a bench of seven still plenty big enough to make it unnecessary?

The IR spot, in one of my leagues is reserved for guys who are listed as Out for the week.  So if a guy is doubtful, they can’t be put in the IL spot.  Teams also can’t make moves if a guy is in the IL spot without an Out designation.  For example, you can’t put a claim in if the guy in your IL spot is listed as doubtful, even if it’s known he won’t play.

We also have a rule for the playoffs that you can only add guys if one of your players is Out.  This helps make it so the lowest waiver guy doesn’t get some random hot free agent guy in the playoffs.

• Like 1

I think if you use IR spots, it shouldn't be qualified as COVID only. It doesn't matter if he's out for COVID, the flu, a broken leg... If he's out, he's out, and he can go on IR for the week. Pick another player.

in a 12-team league, 16-man roster, I feel Free Agency is going to thin out pretty quickly. You're likely relying on your bench players, not guys available as Free Agents. Like what you said, guys will stash lottery tickets instead of replacements. But I find it valuable to have the ability to add a new player if somebody goes on IR, to take a place on the bench. Or not. The alternative is owners will just drop guys at will when players get hurt, only to make the same sort of moves.

I lean towards using IR, especially in these crazy times, because I like the system. But it could go either way. Just make a rule and stick with it. I hate when commish changes rules midseason.

• Like 1

Definitely would be a rule prior to the season beginning, and not changing at any point throughout.  I only went away from it in the one league due to it not being used how we’d all agreed as a league when first instituting it (there was a lot more that I didn’t bother mentioning).  That change was made this off-season though, not during the actual season.

I do think if I were to put it in place in the league that just expanded to 12 teams, it would be just an IR spot and not COVID-only.  I appreciate the feedback and insight.

Just remembered an ancillary question I have on IR spots.  My leagues are in Yahoo, and one thing that surprised me last season was when a league member had put a player on their IR, but was then still able to add a new player via a waiver claim even after that player was no longer IR-eligible.  I would have thought Yahoo would force someone to resolve the roster status of a player that no longer carried any type of IR designation prior to being able to add new players, but that was not the case in this instance at least.  Is this typical?  Or perhaps just typical for Yahoo?

I added 1 IR spot in my league last year & kept it for this year. the league is on espn so it uses their IR rules.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 4:56 PM, EaglesFan said:

and one thing that surprised me last season was when a league member had put a player on their IR, but was then still able to add a new player via a waiver claim even after that player was no longer IR-eligible.  I would have thought Yahoo would force someone to resolve the roster status of a player that no longer carried any type of IR designation prior to being able to add new players, but that was not the case in this instance at least.  Is this typical?  Or perhaps just typical for Yahoo?

Not sure if player stays ineligible until activated? Or if Yahoo forces player to resolve before games start for the week? You'd have to check the fine print on that move. Each app makes their own rules.

• Like 1

Thanks for the continued feedback, I appreciate it.  I still have a week and a half or so until the draft, so am still sitting on a bit of time to decide.  

Yeah, it seemed off to me.  In the specific instance I’m thinking of, whichever player he had put on IR (think maybe it was Cam?) had been cleared from the COVID protocol and as such no longer had any type of special designation, just like every other non-injured player on his roster.  Yet he was able to keep him there while winning a FAAB claim on a sought after free agent.  So afterward, he still had the same number of roster spots as everyone else in the league, but also still had Cam on his IR even though he was no longer eligible and hadn’t been for some period of time.  Essentially it gave him the advantage of an extra bench spot, and did not sit too well with those that noticed.  Was just curious if this was likely a quirk/ glitch, or the way it normally works.  

• 9 months later...

It seems MLB players Pham and Pederson got in a tiff about IR rules in their fantasy league. 

What do you think? Violence is not the answer. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

usually 1 and in ten team deep bench keeper 2. with covid we added extra in every league but only for covid designation

On 5/28/2022 at 10:39 AM, toolg said:

It seems MLB players Pham and Pederson got in a tiff about IR rules in their fantasy league. 

What do you think? Violence is not the answer. 

Ha, just seeing your post now, but I had seen this and wondered what on earth could have happened specifically that would cause that type of altercation.  In the league I mentioned last year that had some IR discrepancies, I don’t think anyone even got actually upset.  It was more, "uh, they’re not supposed to be able to do that, right?”

On 7/13/2022 at 12:11 PM, EaglesFan said:

Ha, just seeing your post now, but I had seen this and wondered what on earth could have happened specifically that would cause that type of altercation.  In the league I mentioned last year that had some IR discrepancies, I don’t think anyone even got actually upset.  It was more, "uh, they’re not supposed to be able to do that, right?”

Are you sure you are not tommy Pham? Lol 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 3:11 PM, EaglesFan said:

My read on the situation is Pederson had a player on the fence of playing or out. He was eventually ruled out for a game. So Joc placed him on IR and picked up a Free Agent. He must've picked a player Pham wanted, because he got mad and accused him of abusing IR rules.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 2:04 PM, toolg said:

My read on the situation is Pederson had a player on the fence of playing or out. He was eventually ruled out for a game. So Joc placed him on IR and picked up a Free Agent. He must've picked a player Pham wanted, because he got mad and accused him of abusing IR rules.

That seems a fair and reasonable read on the situation, yeah.  Clearly was personal for Pham in some way.