Do it like the Ravens

Procus

I see a major philosophical shift in the organization.  But for the three year blip of the Chip Kelly era and Kotite's last year in Philly, the Eagles have been a West Coast Offense team during the Lurie era.  Now, the WCO has evolved since the Walsh/Holmgren era, but that has been the model for the Eagles offense and team by and large.

This year, with a new coaching staff that does not come from a Green Bay or Andy Reid tree, I see a shift - two pronged.  It really looks like the Eagles are in part modeling their approach from what we've seen in Baltimore with Lamar Jackson's Ravens.  No doubt Sirianni and co. want to use Hurts' escapability to the team's advantage and make that a part of the offense.  Remains to be seen how much of that WCO passing game from prior years will stay in the gameplan.  I also see a renewed emphasis on defense by the front office and coaching staff which is really a breath of fresh air.

For better or for worse, this team really looks like it's changing direction.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Procus said:

I see a major philosophical shift in the organization.  But for the three year blip of the Chip Kelly era and Kotite's last year in Philly, the Eagles have been a West Coast Offense team during the Lurie era.  Now, the WCO has evolved since the Walsh/Holmgren era, but that has been the model for the Eagles offense and team by and large.

This year, with a new coaching staff that does not come from a Green Bay or Andy Reid tree, I see a shift - two pronged.  It really looks like the Eagles are in part modeling their approach from what we've seen in Baltimore with Lamar Jackson's Ravens.  No doubt Sirianni and co. want to use Hurts' escapability to the team's advantage and make that a part of the offense.  Remains to be seen how much of that WCO passing game from prior years will stay in the gameplan.  I also see a renewed emphasis on defense by the front office and coaching staff which is really a breath of fresh air.

For better or for worse, this team really looks like it's changing direction.

Problem is we always try and copy another team, but it is after the league has figured that team out.

We tried the NE two TE offense, years after it was successful.

The league has figured out Lamar Jackson, now we are going to copy it.  DUMB.

I’d like to see the Eagles simply play to the strengths of their players. From Kotite, to Chip, to Reid, and the WCO it just felt like we tried to fit players into systems they didn’t fit in. Kotite trying to make Randall a pocket passer. Reid doing the same with McNabb coming from an option system. Kelly with so many issues to start with trying make Murray a north south guy into an east west type back. Trying to turn BG into a linebacker. Trying to make Agholor an outside receiver. Just countless times of coaches rarely adjusting their systems to the talents (or lack of talent) of their players. I just hope Siriani and his coaching staff can asses his players and put them into positions where they can succeed. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think Ravens have been successful because defenses have been scared to hit him. I've seen them just let him run out of bounds

The Ravens offense works because they have Lamar Jackson. The Eagles need to create a Jalen Hurts offense.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Problem is we always try and copy another team, but it is after the league has figured that team out.

All scrambling QBs are figured out after 2-4 years. Hurts, like Jackson, will have to learn how to be a pocket passer as well. Hopefully Hurts rather be more like Wilson than Vick. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

All scrambling QBs are figured out after 2-4 years. Hurts, like Jackson, will have to learn how to be a pocket passer as well. Hopefully Hurts rather be more like Wilson than Vick. 

Not for nothing but the Ravens won 11 games with a "figured out” scrambling quarterback in a division with 3 teams having double digit wins. The Eagles won 4 games in the worst division in football with the traditional style quarterback. I think being figured out is working for them better than what the Eagles have been doing. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, downundermike said:

League has figured out Lamar Jackson? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not for nothing but the Ravens won 11 games with a "figured out” scrambling quarterback in a division with 3 teams having double digit wins. The Eagles won 4 games in the worst division in football with the traditional style quarterback. I think being figured out is working for them better than what the Eagles have been doing. 

That’s because you aren’t looking at the overall team for those wins. Jackson is taking steps back. 

47 minutes ago, downundermike said:

What am I missing? Jackson may not have had the MVP season in 2020 that he did the year before, but he still put up a 99.8 passer rating with 26 TD to 9 picks. 

2 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

That’s because you aren’t looking at the overall team for those wins. Jackson is taking steps back. 

Again, 99.8 rating, 26 TD to 9 picks. Still almost a 65% completion percentage. Still had over 1000 rush yards and 7 rushing TDs. 

3 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

So was our guy and the Eagles. They haven’t had double digit wins since 2017 and that was in the worst division in football with the traditional style quarterbacks. 

1 minute ago, nipples said:

What am I missing? Jackson may not have had the MVP season in 2020 that he did the year before, but he still put up a 99.8 passer rating with 26 TD to 9 picks. 

Again, 99.8 rating, 26 TD to 9 picks. Still almost a 65% completion percentage. 

All a step back and as I said 2-4 years unless they learn to pass first run third. 

34 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’d like to see the Eagles simply play to the strengths of their players. From Kotite, to Chip, to Reid, and the WCO it just felt like we tried to fit players into systems they didn’t fit in.

Both Sirianni and Gannon have both stated multiple times that they do not have a particular system, that they’ll adapt whatever scheme they run around the strengths of their players.  That what they are asking a particular position group to do may change with changes in personnel.  I like what I hear (but the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak … heard Reid continually talk about putting his players in the best position but didn’t necessarily do so).  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

League has figured out Lamar Jackson? 

9 minutes ago, nipples said:

Again, 99.8 rating, 26 TD to 9 picks. Still almost a 65% completion percentage. 

Now give us his playoff numbers last year

10 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Both Sirianni and Gannon have both stated multiple times that they do not have a particular system, that they’ll adapt whatever scheme they run around the strengths of their players.  That what they are asking a particular position group to do may change with changes in personnel.  I like what I hear (but the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak … heard Reid continually talk about putting his players in the best position but didn’t necessarily do so).  

100% Reid always talked about doing a better job and running the ball more. So did Pederson, but I can’t help but wonder if th FO has too much say here. When the rumors came out that Lurie wasn’t happy with that Green Bay win a few years ago, because the Eagles ran too much it concerned me. Can the coaches really do their jobs properly if the FO is constantly meddling? 

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

100% Reid always talked about doing a better job and running the ball more. So did Pederson, but I can’t help but wonder if th FO has too much say here. When the rumors came out that Lurie wasn’t happy with that Green Bay win a few years ago, because the Eagles ran too much it concerned me. Can the coaches really do their jobs properly if the FO is constantly meddling? 

Wonder if there is any truth to that.  If that did happen, that is beyond retarded considering THEY WON.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, downundermike said:

How is that relevant to the topic of him being "figured out?” So you’re saying two games is a better indication than the other 16 that he played?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, downundermike said:

1-1

70% passing, 179 yards passing, 0 passing TDs and 1 INT, 136 yards rushing and 1 rushing TD in their win. 

Obviously played worse in the loss to Buffalo but Buffalo was a better team. 

28 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

All a step back and as I said 2-4 years unless they learn to pass first run third. 

Pretty much anything was going to be a "step back.” He was the at damn good in 2019. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

1-1

70% passing, 179 yards passing, 0 passing TDs and 1 INT, 136 yards rushing and 1 rushing TD in their win. 

Obviously played worse in the loss to Buffalo but Buffalo was a better team. 

I love how you pull the stats for the win, but not the stats for the loss.

image.thumb.png.76dce7d0f640d75dc3de0e8019153a54.png

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Nah.  Running QB’s never last in the NFL.  We should have learned this by now.  

Next one to win a Super Bowl will be the 1st.

11 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I love how you pull the stats for the win, but not the stats for the loss.

image.thumb.png.76dce7d0f640d75dc3de0e8019153a54.png

I told you he played worse in a loss.  Players tend to play bad in a loss.  

No idea how you can say after a good season and a playoff win that a loss in the playoffs means he was thus "figured out" by the league. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

LJ's Ravens and LJ have their weaknesses, but calling out a team as being "figured out" because it didn't win the SB is a stretch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Pretty much anything was going to be a "step back.” He was the at damn good in 2019. 

They also had the lowest passing attempts per game.