Bad drafting catching up to us

GroundAttack

Knew it was going to come. Was just a matter of time. We always said let’s cross that road when we get there. Well, we’re there. No draft picks in the 2014 and 2015 drafts are on this team. Only 1 in 2016 and 1 in 2017 are still with us. Seumalo (2016) Barnett (2017). 2018 has shown flashes as Sweat, Goedert and Mailata have paid off so far. 2019 has shown that Dillard has been a bad pick and don’t even start with Whiteside. I’m giving the 2020 class a break and still learning what we have from this past draft but I’ve never seen a group of 2nd and 3rd stringers be this bad

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Bad drafting caught up to us about 2 years ago.

Not this bad. This was the last year I was going to give Dillard a chance and he’s hurt and possible getting traded. Shareef turned out to be nothing. 2018 draft was pretty good

That's why what Siri did today was so impressive. Let's play the backups, let's see how good/bad they really are. Better to know now, than later. If we had this result with the starters playing 1-2 qrts I might be a little concerned. I'm not worried at all. They now have more "game tape" on these players.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

That's why what Siri did today was so impressive. Let's play the backups, let's see how good/bad they really are. Better to know now, than later. If we had this result with the starters playing 1-2 qrts I might be a little concerned. I'm not worried at all. They now have more "game tape" on these players.

That "game tape” is horrible 

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

That "game tape” is horrible 

No doubt about that but at least they know. At least now Sirianni knows that outside of one or two back ups this roster is very thin in terms of depth. 

56 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No doubt about that but at least they know. At least now Sirianni knows that outside of one or two back ups this roster is very thin in terms of depth. 

We all pretty much knew that though. Most of the guys out there were starting last season because the starters were hurt. Why I’ve been trying to tell people a team this lacking in talent shouldn’t be drafting friggin backup players, projects, and injured guys with 2nd round picks. Really who picks a quarterback in the 2nd round to be a backup? Why use a 2nd round pick on Goedert to be a backup to a TE in his prime? The Eagles vastly overrated their own talent and it’s all due to Howie. Not like the 1st round picks have been much better either. From the 16-17 drafts the only players left (mind you those guys should be entering their primes right now) are Seumalo and Barnett. Neither player is much to write home about. No player left from the 14-15 drafts. Four years of drafting have only yielded 2 players for the current Eagles team. Right now the 14-17 drafts should be running this team, but those drafts are basically a wash for the Eagles. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

We all pretty much knew that though. Most of the guys out there were starting last season because the starters were hurt. Why I’ve been trying to tell people a team this lacking in talent shouldn’t be drafting friggin backup players, projects, and injured guys with 2nd round picks. Really who picks a quarterback in the 2nd round to be a backup? Why use a 2nd round pick on Goedert to be a backup to a TE in his prime? The Eagles vastly overrated their own talent and it’s all due to Howie. Not like the 1st round picks have been much better either. From the 16-17 drafts the only players left (mind you those guys should be entering their primes right now) are Seumalo and Barnett. Neither player is much to write home about. No player left from the 14-15 drafts. Four years of drafting have only yielded 2 players for the current Eagles team. Right now the 14-17 drafts should be running this team, but those drafts are basically a wash for the Eagles. 

I completely agree with you. If we look back at our drafts it is quite startling how few players from the last few drafts are left on the team. That's why this team is in the position it is in. That's why the starters may be quite good (though certainly not great) but the back ups are just simply not good enough. 

26 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I mostly agree on what you say, but it’s still my strong view that Hurts was never drafted to be a backup, always as an alternative to Wentz and that’s how it’s played out.

I am far from a Howie hater, but if Hurts doesn’t work out, then I just hope Lurie makes a move at GM and gives someone else a chance to rebuild with all those high picks.

Just now, ManchesterEagle said:

I mostly agree on what you say, but it’s still my strong view that Hurts was never drafted to be a backup, always as an alternative to Wentz and that’s how it’s played out.

I am far from a Howie hater, but if Hurts doesn’t work out, then I just hope Lurie makes a move at GM and gives someone else a chance to rebuild with all those high picks.

But if that's true and correct about Hurts then that's fundamentally a failing of this organization. You don't give Wentz the contract they did if you aren't sure about him. That's just crazy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But if that's true and correct about Hurts then that's fundamentally a failing of this organization. You don't give Wentz the contract they did if you aren't sure about him. That's just crazy.

Exactly.

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yes. Yes it is.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I can’t even begin to decipher the level of foolishness that would have to be involved with this team actually selecting Hurts cause they flaked on Wentz and are now flirting with a Watson trade, cause they’re flaking on Hurts.

43 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Yes. Yes it is.

Which of course we know... but either way it's a failing by the organisation. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I completely agree with you. If we look back at our drafts it is quite startling how few players from the last few drafts are left on the team. That's why this team is in the position it is in. That's why the starters may be quite good (though certainly not great) but the back ups are just simply not good enough. 

Eagles young players that one can say are future all pros are few and far between.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Eagles young players that one can say are future all pros are few and far between.

I mean right now are there any? That we can say with a degree of confidence?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean right now are there any? That we can say with a degree of confidence?

Nope. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Nope. 

We have hopes for some I guess but there is nobody we can truly say is going to be a legit stud.

• Like 1

Our better players are older and near retirement.  Unfortunately this is what our future looks like and perhaps our present.  If the old guys stay healthy and Hurts plays well maybe we can go 7-10, 8-9, but that's best case scenario and would be a last hurrah for this group.  Howie has destroyed the roster with Lurie's help meddling and picking players.  It's why no one wanted the coaching job when we let Doug go.  Hitting rock bottom is the only thing that gets Howie out of personnel and hopefully Lurie too.  I moved the FL after 21 years on Maui and picked a good year to get Dolphins season tickets.  Will have to tape some games.  Haven't missed live Eagles football since my 4 years of college out of state.  Watching a number of them tape delayed will be just fine the way we look now and going forward.  Thank God we won the SB

Howie and Lurie should be locked in a room together with no phone or internet access during the draft. Let a Fing bot make the picks and they'd probably do better!

• Haha 3

We've been talking about their bad drafting for years.  People are naïve to think it will get better under Howie.  Every offseason fans will say "Howie really needs to nail this draft or else the team will be set back for years."  Literally people have said that for about 10 years in a row.  Still waiting for Howie to nail a draft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1