Lane Johnson blasts offense for performance vs. Patriots

time2rock

Lane Johnson blasts offense for performance vs. Patriots

If you didn’t like what you saw from the Eagles Thursday night, you’re not alone.

Lane Johnson feels the same way.

Johnson, the Eagles’ three-time Pro Bowl right tackle, was among numerous starters who didn’t play in the Eagles’ 35-0 preseason embarrassment against the Patriots at the Linc.

Johnson, speaking on the JAKIB Media Live Postgame Show with Marc Farzetta, Derrick Gunn and Devan Kaney, said the fact that the Eagles played virtually the entire the game without starters is no excuse for such a wretched performance.

"It’s terrible,” Johnson said. "Anytime you don’t put up anything, I don’t care what you’re doing. If you’re in the nature of competing and being in competition, that’s unacceptable. I don’t care if it’s preseason or whatnot, there’s still a standard to play at at this level and represent yourself and to represent this team.”

And the Eagles, even without Johnson and a bunch of other starters, clearly did not do that.

The Patriots outgained the Eagles by more than 300 yards and handed them their most lopsided preseason loss in at least 40 years.

Johnson, Jason Kelce, Brandon Brooks, Darius Slay, Fletcher Cox, Javon Hargrave, Brandon Graham, Josh Sweat, Derek Barnett and Jalen Hurts didn’t play, and Jordan Howard, Jordan Mailata, Isaac Seumalo, Greg Ward, Zach Ertz, Dallas Goedert, Miles Sanders, Anthony Harris, and Steve Nelson played a combined 51 snaps.

The only projected starters to play more than 10 snaps were linebackers Alex Singleton (19) and Eric Wilson (15) and wide receivers Quez Watkins (30), DeVonta Smith (26) and Jalen Reagor (22).

Still … a lot of the guys who were part of this loss will be on the team and several will have important roles. And a bunch of others are competing for roster spots and certainly didn’t help themselves.

"We’ve got a lot of work to do,” Johnson said. "We haven’t done nothing yet. We haven’t accomplished anything yet, so moving forward, we have a lot of work to do and that’s coming from me and the veterans, top down.

"Anytime you’re between those lines, it doesn’t matter, that’s how people get elevated, demoted. That’s really a place of opportunity. It wasn’t a good outing by us tonight. … We’re not where we need to be.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-patriots-lane-johnson-eagles-offense-nfl-preseason?fbclid=IwAR1UCcOHiIAsLFys0m21fMOr9SO_gajsMBZJALkV9rLCE0K8eHkugsbJfBw

32 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Again, for many reasons, I see this as a 4 or 5 win season. 

If that is where we end up I really hope it is due to the lack of talent overall but Hurts plays well enough to be given a longer look so that we use those 2-3 first rd picks next April to add premiere talent at other positions (DE, CB, etc).  It has been said next year’s QB class isn’t very strong … I’d hate to use those assets to reach for a lesser prospect.  I think it would be better use of those assets to build a stronger team and if after a longer look at Hurts they decide they need someone better then go get someone in 2023.  I realize they’ll have to give up future assets (draft picks) to do so but having a stronger team in place to which they then later add a top QB prospect to I think gives them a better shot at success.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, time2rock said:

If that is where we end up I really hope it is due to the lack of talent overall but Hurts plays well enough to be given a longer look so that we use those 2-3 first rd picks next April to add premiere talent at other positions (DE, CB, etc).  It has been said next year’s QB class isn’t very strong

100% my friend. We hope Hurts flashes and shows potential because imagine if we could add 3 premiere talents in the draft next year! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Again, for many reasons, I see this as a 4 or 5 win season. 

Looks like we are following the slow start blueprint. Who cares if they suck as long as they're healthy? :towel:

• Haha 1