More excited for next year but anxious this year.

SlimReaper4Six

Is it weird that I’m more excited about next years draft than the actual football season about to start? 
I’m extremely excited and I can’t wait to see how Jalen plays. Carson and his performance was extremely hard to watch. Jalen throws a more catchable ball, has incredible playmaking ability and never gets rattled He won’t be perfect but he should jreally open up lanes in our running game for our backs. Miles and Kenny Gainwell should really have a bunch of long runs, the RPOs will definitely be considered way more important now. With he speed that we have should make the offense extremely dangerous.

Devonte is absolutely a stud and I finally know who he reminds me of and I didn’t think about it until that man complimented him. That man is Chad Johnson. Johnson was never the biggest or the fastest player. He was always known for his footwork and acrobatics when the ball was thrown. He was so graceful and his routes were always crisp, he was so amazing at getting out of breaks his interest in soccer made him so amazing in his cuts and routes no one could cover him. He would catch absolutely everything that was thrown. Smith is absolutely a clone to Johnson except one thing. Johnson was a incredible trash talker, DeVonte is a silent assassin.

Those are going to keep the season alive. However the off-season coming up is much more exciting. We have 3 first round picks if Carson plays 75% of his snaps. With most of our talent over 30 getting 3 firsts can replenish our team and make us contenders again. No Deshaun Watson, if we need a new QB I’m not sure we get one next off season. I would rather add more talent instead of giving up so many assets for a woman hater. Hurts then will have his second year in the system and a ton more weapons. Davonte Adams and DeVonte Smith Together will a replenishment in good talent at corner and the defensive line . Just all the money and options we will have are glorious.  With all our draft picks and our money we can easily start building a true contender 

no secret that this is a transitional year and what one might call an assessment year..wherein they make an honest synopsis of where they need to go as a franchise moving forward...things to remember though..

Hurts will make his mistakes, as will Devonta..some may be expecting to see Hurts/Smith as Montana/Rice...but really..there will be bumps in the road

same applies to Sirianni..he is a rookie HC and all rookies make mistakes..even HCs

New OC and new DC means there will be a learning curve, where things look ugly for a few games as players adjust to these new systems and learn their roles...the hope is that they start gelling sooner rather than later....recall Andy Reid's first season in 1999...for the first ten games or so..the teams looked completely inept at times..learning a new offense and defense..and with an influx of new players....by the 11th game or so..you could see things starting to become cohesive..and they finished that season with a "spark"...like kindling that had begun to smolder...

the Danger of this seasons conclusion..is Howie....should they finish with a poor record...will Howie panic and once again go into Daniel Snyder mode and start handing out outrageous contracts to aged Veterans? Or will he stay his hand and try to build methodically through the draft..more so..will he finally let the football experts do their job and have a greater say in the draft? (NAHHHHH!!!) 😞

lastly, If Wentz turns into a first rounder...awesome...but all evidence thus far seems to indicate that this is an unlikely scenario...he already has an injury..and I don't think he has even played a snap yet....

Prepare yourselves for a transition year.  They haven't worried about getting the starters preseason reps and Lurie admitted they're not trying to win now but essentially rebuild.  They're evaluating everything this year especially Hurts to see what pieces will remain as the foundation of what they are trying to build and next offseason with 2 (maybe 3) 1st round picks we'll see what they do.

We don't even know if the new coaching staff will work out or not, lots to evaluate this year.  

While we're obviously a team in transition with a first year head coach, an inexperienced coaching staff, and a first year starter at QB, I honestly don't think a nice bounce-back season where we hover around .500 and possibly compete for a playoff spot is out of the question. We're pretty well-built along both lines (assuming Brooks and Lane regain most of their pre-injury form). We've got a really good RB, really good TEs, and a WR group that could develop nicely as the season goes along. We've got some good depth along the defensive line, and with our free agent acquisitions should field our first decent secondary in quite a while. A lot obviously  depends on the type of pro Hurts develops into, but the team actually looks pretty good on paper to me right now. 

2 hours ago, flyerdog said:

no secret that this is a transitional year and what one might call an assessment year..wherein they make an honest synopsis of where they need to go as a franchise moving forward...things to remember though..

Hurts will make his mistakes, as will Devonta..some may be expecting to see Hurts/Smith as Montana/Rice...but really..there will be bumps in the road

same applies to Sirianni..he is a rookie HC and all rookies make mistakes..even HCs

New OC and new DC means there will be a learning curve, where things look ugly for a few games as players adjust to these new systems and learn their roles...the hope is that they start gelling sooner rather than later....recall Andy Reid's first season in 1999...for the first ten games or so..the teams looked completely inept at times..learning a new offense and defense..and with an influx of new players....by the 11th game or so..you could see things starting to become cohesive..and they finished that season with a "spark"...like kindling that had begun to smolder...

the Danger of this seasons conclusion..is Howie....should they finish with a poor record...will Howie panic and once again go into Daniel Snyder mode and start handing out outrageous contracts to aged Veterans? Or will he stay his hand and try to build methodically through the draft..more so..will he finally let the football experts do their job and have a greater say in the draft? (NAHHHHH!!!) 😞

lastly, If Wentz turns into a first rounder...awesome...but all evidence thus far seems to indicate that this is an unlikely scenario...he already has an injury..and I don't think he has even played a snap yet....

Wentz has been at practice the last few days and looks like he is leaner and faster than he was last season I’m almost positive he will start week one as well as there HOF Guard Nelson who had the exact same surgery a day later. I hope he does because having 3 picks I. The first round means we can control day 1 of the draft. We can move up , stay put, trade down and manipulate the whole draft. I kinda hope we trade down with one or two so we can get a couple 2nds and 3s. This coming draft is supposed to be deep in our areas that we need. Corners, DEs and DTs. Those are some serious areas where we need to replenish. Milton Williams and McPherson is a start but we need some Blue Chip talent to replace Slay and Cox because they are not getting any younger.  Free Agency we could pick up a guy like Gallup or Davante Adams or Allen Robinson to help Jalen continue to develop. We could also add a corner like Marshon Lattimore if they don’t franchise him 

I think the team will be watchable this year, unlike most of last year. There are some things to look forward to: Offensive Line and Defensive Line are stacked, so that covers mistakes. Improvements along the roster. How good is Devonta Smith, Reagor, and others? But there's too many holes to fill: first-year coach, first-year starting QB... I expect inconsistency. They don't look great yet, so I'm thinking slow start. But they might surprise us too.  If they do well in Dec.-Jan., like when they won 3 games to close DPs first season 2016, then I will be excited for next year.

Next year's draft is easy to look forward to, when the Eagles are looking at 4 picks in the first two rounds.

Yeah that is weird.   It I get it.  3 1sts is hard not to be excited about. 

2 hours ago, SlimReaper4Six said:

I kinda hope we trade down with one or two so we can get a couple 2nds and 3s. This coming draft is supposed to be deep in our areas that we need. Corners, DEs and DTs. Those are some serious areas where we need to replenish. 

Trading down for picks doesn't work when Howie can't draft.  The higher the picks the better for him.  You lose out on 1st round talent and he drafts bums in the 2nd and 3rd.  

I'm excited for this season for a number of reasons. 

Firstly, I feel like this year there are no real expectations. No doubt that'll change on game day (every week) because we want our Eagles to win but I don't think they are going to make the play offs. I don't think they have any chance at winning the SB. As long as they show potential and are at least competitive most weeks I'll take that as a win. 

I'm very excited to see Hurts play, he may not be a long term nfl stud but he's fun to watch. If he can show that actually he can be a really good QB long term then great. If not? Well we are probably going to be drafting high if he's bad. 

I think this defense could be legit. I think Gannon is going to be a fantastic DC and I think this defense has some really really good players. It's going to be fun to watch a new scheme with upgrades. 

Smith is just going to be flat out fun. That kid looks so damn good! His ability to shake defensive players is going to be fun all season long. I mean this kid could be a future league star. Even if he's not going to make a ton of catches (due to the OL play or QB) he's still one to watch because he's going to get open. 

And lastly I'm just looking forward to there being football back. And fans in the stadiums. I love the NFL, I love watching any football game. And with my Eagles expectations fairly low this year I'm just going to sit back and enjoy watching as much football as I can. 

• Like 2

Stock up on booze it's gonna be a long ugly season. At least I have college to concentrate on lol. Might be first year I don't do NFL package. Still undecided.

9 hours ago, SlimReaper4Six said:

Is it weird that I’m more excited about next years draft than the actual football season about to start? 
I’m extremely excited and I can’t wait to see how Jalen plays. Carson and his performance was extremely hard to watch. Jalen throws a more catchable ball, has incredible playmaking ability and never gets rattled He won’t be perfect but he should jreally open up lanes in our running game for our backs. Miles and Kenny Gainwell should really have a bunch of long runs, the RPOs will definitely be considered way more important now. With he speed that we have should make the offense extremely dangerous.

Devonte is absolutely a stud and I finally know who he reminds me of and I didn’t think about it until that man complimented him. That man is Chad Johnson. Johnson was never the biggest or the fastest player. He was always known for his footwork and acrobatics when the ball was thrown. He was so graceful and his routes were always crisp, he was so amazing at getting out of breaks his interest in soccer made him so amazing in his cuts and routes no one could cover him. He would catch absolutely everything that was thrown. Smith is absolutely a clone to Johnson except one thing. Johnson was a incredible trash talker, DeVonte is a silent assassin.

Those are going to keep the season alive. However the off-season coming up is much more exciting. We have 3 first round picks if Carson plays 75% of his snaps. With most of our talent over 30 getting 3 firsts can replenish our team and make us contenders again. No Deshaun Watson, if we need a new QB I’m not sure we get one next off season. I would rather add more talent instead of giving up so many assets for a woman hater. Hurts then will have his second year in the system and a ton more weapons. Davonte Adams and DeVonte Smith Together will a replenishment in good talent at corner and the defensive line . Just all the money and options we will have are glorious.  With all our draft picks and our money we can easily start building a true contender 

Just enjoy this year.  Think about next year after the season is over.  My 2 cents.  

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Just enjoy this year.  Think about next year after the season is over.  My 2 cents.  

How many years have we had this exact conversation on this board?  Eagles fans are always throwing in the towel before the season even begins.  

5 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

remember who is running the draft though....

can we stomach the top CB being on the board and Howie picking the 3rd rated RT

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

How many years have we had this exact conversation on this board?  Eagles fans are always throwing in the towel before the season even begins.  

Funny he starts off saying he is more excited about next offseason than he is the upcoming season then immediately goes into how excited he is to watch Hurts, Sanders and Gainwell, the RPOs, DeVonta, etc.  :lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

I agree but the guy selecting the 3 1st round players makes me nervous. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

I agree but the guy selecting the 3 1st round players makes me nervous. 

I have to imagine that having 3 1st round picks is a harder job (for a gm especially) than only having 1.  Howie could totally blow this. But so could 90 % of the gm’s in the league.  

things will look clearer once this season is played.   So much can/will happen from now till then. 

Most unpredictable year I can recall. Lots of breakout candidates, lots of old guys we can't count on to start healthy, wild card at QB and HC. My gut is telling me this team is more likely to be mediocre than good or bad.

If Eagles joint practice performance according to ESP translates to regular season games this team is a serious  contender 

54 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

If Eagles joint practice performance according to ESP translates to regular season games this team is a serious  contender 

Joint practice means nothing, still just a pre season, regular season is always completely different...I am taking it from one match to another  no further

27 minutes ago, Vlad67 said:

Joint practice means nothing, still just a pre season, regular season is always completely different...I am taking it from one match to another  no further

You must not know who ESP is