Eagles aren’t expected to trade future assets for wide receiver help; Jets could be option for player-for-player deal

time2rock

Eagles aren’t expected to trade future assets for wide receiver help; Jets could be option for player-for-player deal

By Mike Kaye | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Despite the Eagles’ wide receiver depth chart lacking in proven talent, the team isn’t expected to trade future assets for upgrades at the position, a person with knowledge of the team’s thinking told NJ Advance Media on Sunday.

The source -- who was granted anonymity as they weren’t allowed to speak openly about the team’s front-office strategy -- said a move involving 2022 assets isn’t likely, as the Eagles are taking a long-term approach to what owner Jeffrey Lurie categorized as a "transition period” in January.

While the source shrugged off the idea of a wide receiver trade involving draft picks, there’s still a possibility that the Eagles could deal a player at another position for a wideout on another team. GM Howie Roseman has made several player-for-player trades during training camp and the preseason over the years.

In 2019, Roseman traded undrafted rookie lineman Ryan Bates to the Buffalo Bills for defensive end Eli Harold and dealt defensive tackle Bruce Hector to the Arizona Cardinals for safety Rudy Ford, for example. If a player-for-player swap scenario were to work out, the Eagles could upgrade the position that way.

Another league source told NJ Advance Media this weekend that wideouts like Andy Isabella of the Arizona Cardinals or Keelan Cole of the Jets could be available for the right price, despite neither team openly shopping the players on the trade block. According to the source, the Jets are looking for pass-rushing help following the season-ending injury of free-agent addition Carl Lawson.

The Eagles and Jets will take part in joint practices on Tuesday and Wednesday before closing out the preseason against each other on Friday. In theory, the Eagles could scout the Jets’ wideout group during the week, as former Eagles exec-turned-Jets GM Joe Douglas scopes out the Eagles’ deep defensive end depth, which includes contract-year pass rushers Josh Sweat and Derek Barnett.

Given the history between Roseman and Douglas, the duo could potentially work out a deal through a week of in-person scouting.

According to The Inquirer, the Eagles have already received calls regarding left tackle Andre Dillard. If the Eagles were to move Dillard, they might need to sell him off for another player instead of draft-pick compensation. Tight end Zach Ertz’s desire to be moved also lingers, so there’s a possibility that he could be used in a player-for-player swap as well.

If the Eagles choose to stay put at wideout, it’ll be an understandable non-move based on their recent investment in the position. The team has invested first-round picks in DeVonta Smith and Jalen Reagor over the past two offseasons and has seen promise from the likes of Quez Watkins, Travis Fulgham and Greg Ward over the past year. The team is also still evaluating recent draft picks J.J. Arcega-Whiteside and John Hightower.

The Eagles are expected to enter the season with Smith and Reagor as their two starters on the outside, while Watkins, a summer standout, rotates into the lineup. Despite an underwhelming performance from Fulgham this offseason, he is expected to stick around, barring a trade for a wideout. Ward, Hightower and Arcega-Whiteside appear to be battling for one or two spots for the next week.

The Eagles will need to cut their roster down from 84 players to 80 by Tuesday. The team will then need to cut down the roster from 80 to 53 players on August 31 by 4 p.m. ET.

https://www.nj.com/sports/2021/08/eagles-arent-expected-to-trade-future-assets-for-wide-receiver-help-despite-potential-options.html

I'd only trade Ertz if the price is right and that's a 4 at minimum. Remember, we already have extra picks next year and if Ertz signs elsewhere after the season we'll be getting a comp pick. Bottom line is we don't need more low round picks in 2033 and him leaving will get us at least a low round pick in 2023 with the potential of it being mid-round if he has a really good year 

Dillard is a conundrum for me. Tough to trade a 1st round pick at all, but we sure aren't getting a 1r or 2nd day pick for  him Maybe it's palatable if it's a 4 and a player. 

No way I'd part with Sweat or Barnett. Granted both re in contact years and we might not be able to keep both after this season but if one has a good year and goes elsewhere the money will be big and a 3rd or 4th round comp pick isn't out of the question. 

Given that our starters are solid and our depth is questionable I don't see any other potential moves unless we're talking deep backup for deep backup. 

40 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

I'd only trade Ertz if the price is right and that's a 4 at minimum. Remember, we already have extra picks next year and if Ertz signs elsewhere after the season we'll be getting a comp pick. Bottom line is we don't need more low round picks in 2033 and him leaving will get us at least a low round pick in 2023 with the potential of it being mid-round if he has a really good year 

Dillard is a conundrum for me. Tough to trade a 1st round pick at all, but we sure aren't getting a 1r or 2nd day pick for  him Maybe it's palatable if it's a 4 and a player. 

No way I'd part with Sweat or Barnett. Granted both re in contact years and we might not be able to keep both after this season but if one has a good year and goes elsewhere the money will be big and a 3rd or 4th round comp pick isn't out of the question. 

Given that our starters are solid and our depth is questionable I don't see any other potential moves unless we're talking deep backup for deep backup. 

We would do well to get a 5 for Dillard.  Might have to settle for a 6.  Howie wouldn't admit defeat like that so the only other option is to stash him on IR. We could keep him on the roster but we would have to cut much better Olinemen and he might have to play.  A 4 for Ertz would be the best we could hope for, might have to settle for a 5.  

15 hours ago, NCTANK said:

still evaluating JJAW?

🤪

It does kinda make some sense.  Year 1 he was terrible (as are a lot of rookies).  Year 2 the team as a whole was a complete flustercluck (including coaching staff) - hard to make any kind of evaluation on anyone based on last year.  This year he is now playing for a completely revamped coaching staff employing a new scheme.  I don't have much hope he becomes a decent player yet alone live up to his draft status but can understand the thinking they are still evaluating him in their offense.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rob331 said:

I agree although I think you could trade Dillard for a conditional 2023 pick such as a 4th that becomes a 3 rd if he plays more than 50% of a team’s offensive snaps.  The Eagles would then have extra picks in both 2022 and 2023 to further their rebuild and get more young cheap players to help with their continuing salary cap problems. I’d think a team would pay that for a former first round pick at a critical position who would only cost them a third if he’s productive.  

Eagles generally don't trade with teams where former Eagle coaches or front office members are in charge.  I don't see Joe Douglas making a deal with Howie.  They know each other too well.

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

It does kinda make some sense.  Year 1 he was terrible (as are a lot of rookies).  Year 2 the team as a whole was a complete flustercluck (including coaching staff) - hard to make any kind of evaluation on anyone based on last year.  This year he is now playing for a completely revamped coaching staff employing a new scheme.  I don't have much hope he becomes a decent player yet alone live up to his draft status but can understand the thinking they are still evaluating him in their offense.  

True he was a flustercuck, but let's see if the new coaching staff, which is supposed to have WR whisperers, can bring out the best in him.  Agholor had a good year in 2017 when he was was coached up properly by Mike Groh.

I'd prefer to do a deal for CJ Henderson ... and I would think that a deal for a veteran WR they would prefer one with some size. especially if it means getting rid if Fulgham or JJ. 

On 8/27/2021 at 12:03 PM, time2rock said:

19 hours ago, Procus said:

True he was a flustercuck, but let's see if the new coaching staff, which is supposed to have WR whisperers, can bring out the best in him.  Agholor had a good year in 2017 when he was was coached up properly by Mike Groh.

I agree it’s far more likely than not that JJAW is a bust, but Agholor was pretty bad for his first 2 years and has turned into a good number 2 receiver since then.

If the coaching staff see something, I have no issue at all with him being on the 53 for another year.

58 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I agree it’s far more likely than not that JJAW is a bust, but Agholor was pretty bad for his first 2 years and has turned into a good number 2 receiver since then.

If the coaching staff see something, I have no issue at all with him being on the 53 for another year.

Agreed.  It isn't as though there is a plethora of talent behind the top 3 (Smith, Reagor, Watkins) that we'd be passing over to keep him.  

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 2:00 PM, time2rock said:

According to the source, the Jets are looking for pass-rushing help following the season-ending injury of free-agent addition Carl Lawson

Can they bring Ostman back and then trade him? Or maybe trade Avery for a Jets WR?