Eagles acquire QB Gardner Minshew in trade with Jaguars | Terms of the post-preseason swap

time2rock

Eagles acquire QB Gardner Minshew in trade with Jaguars | Terms of the post-preseason swap

By Mike Kaye | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Eagles ultimately made a trade for a quarterback in the AFC South ... but not one that anyone was actually thinking about.

Saturday, the Eagles acquired quarterback Gardner Minshew from the Jacksonville Jaguars for a conditional sixth-round pick. The Eagles waived third-string quarterback Nick Mullens in a corresponding move.

The conditional pick can become a fifth-round round selection if Minshew plays 50 percent of three games this season, according to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport.

The trade for Minshew comes at an awkward time for the Eagles. The team wrapped up its preseason on Friday against the Jets, and veteran quarterback Joe Flacco led three first-half scoring drives at MetLife Stadium. While Flacco has served as the second-string quarterback for the Eagles all summer, Minshew is a more stylistic fit for starter Jalen Hurts’ style of play.

Trading for Minshew implies a couple of things: a) Hurts, for now, is the focus at quarterback after securing the QB1 job and b) the Eagles still value the quarterback position, specifically when it comes to depth, more than most — if not all — teams. Minshew is coming off a brutal preseason performance under new Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer, but a change of scenery could benefit him.

Minshew has notable NFL experience. In fact, he’s accomplished more in the NFL than Hurts, who has started just four games. Minshew has appeared 23 games, throwing for 5,530 yards, 37 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, while completing 62.86% of his passes.

Minshew, a 2019 sixth-round pick, has exceeded his draft pedigree, and become a popular player in Jacksonville in the wake of former Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles’ departure. However, he’s regressed over the past 18 months, and is likely a better fit as a top-tier backup quarterback. With Minshew on the roster, it’ll be interesting to see what becomes of Flacco, who signed fully guaranteed one-year, $3.5 million deal.

Flacco — who might have been showcased Friday night in a search for a trading partner — has the clout and experience to stick as the immediate No. 2 quarterback, while Minshew, who has two years left on his deal, could serve as a long-term backup.

Either way, it’s time to rework your 53-man roster projections. The Eagles have 81 players on their roster and need to get to 53 by 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/08/eagles-acquire-qb-gardner-minshew-in-trade-with-jaguars-terms-of-the-post-preseason-swap.html

I know ultimately it doesn't really matter and I know it's just a fifth or sixth round pick but I still don't really get it? If Hurts goes down this year then the season is over anyway. If Hurts AND Flacco go down then I mean I don't see this team even being competitive (and I'm not high on Flacco) so I don't really get the logic of this pick?

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I know ultimately it doesn't really matter and I know it's just a fifth or sixth round pick but I still don't really get it? If Hurts goes down this year then the season is over anyway. If Hurts AND Flacco go down then I mean I don't see this team even being competitive (and I'm not high on Flacco) so I don't really get the logic of this pick?

If Hurts is out we can run the same offense with this guy.  Joe is gone after this year.  He's a 1 year rental.  This kid can slide into the back up role for some time.

5 hours ago, weko said:

If Hurts is out we can run the same offense with this guy.  Joe is gone after this year.  He's a 1 year rental.  This kid can slide into the back up role for some time.

I'm not sure Minshew is quite the same as Hurts?