Why ex-QB argues Minshew trade is bad for Hurts' situation

time2rock

Just when the Eagles' QB situation seemed to have reached a level of stability, Howie Roseman threw a wrench into the works and traded a conditional sixth-round pick for Gardner Minshew.

And suddenly the quarterback room was once again a breeding ground for hot takes and spicy what-if scenarios.

Like... what if Hurts gets off to a rough start after an unorthodox preseason, and Minshew is just sitting there with his solid career TD-to-INT ratio? Will fans start clamoring for change? Will the coaches entertain the idea?

The 25-year-old has shown he can start in the NFL, and he's a firebrand of a personality, which is why former NFL QB Chris Simms wondered aloud on Monday's edition of ProFootballTalk Live whether the Eagles' trade for Minshew might start weighing on Hurts this year:

"He's that type of personality where, fans are going to like Gardner Minshew just because of his answers, on social media, the way he looks. I mean, he's just got a care-free, charismatic attitude towards the game that's kind of infectious. You just go, 'Man, the guy loves football, this is cool, he seems cool, I like it.' He is that type of backup quarterback where you go, 'Man, I don't want to let this guy on the field,' if I'm the starting quarterback. Because if he has a few good plays, the fans are going to rally around this dude."

"It's weird mixed signals out of there. ... That whole situation is a little odd to me. I'm not going to lie, when they traded for Gardner Minshew the other day, I thought, 'Wait, is this a precursor to where now they might trade away Hurts and maybe Flacco for a Deshaun Watson and some picks?' That was one of the things that percolated through my brain a little bit. Obviously that didn't happen, but I am a little stumped."

Hmm. A backup QB move potentially making the starter look over his shoulder? Where have we heard this before?

Oh, right. Last year. On the Eagles' roster.

Now, Simms is making a logical argument but I think Hurts is not that guy.

Hurts has been replaced as a starter before, back at Alabama, and he seems to have a healthy approach towards his current role as presumptive QB1. The Eagles built everything around Carson Wentz, so when his job was taken away due to poor play he felt like he'd been betrayed. The Eagles... kind of haven't promised Hurts anything, and have almost been demonstrative in not calling him The Guy, so I can't imagine he thinks he's owed anything around here. I don't think Hurts believes starting all 17 games this year is a guarantee unless he plays good football.

The Minshew factor will be certainly be floating around both the fanbase and the NovaCare Complex, but I don't think Hurts will be affected much at all by the trade. He's been training all offseason like he has to prove himself to land the QB1 job, and that's still the case.

It's on Hurts to show us he deserves the QB job, and just like Joe Flacco, Minshew is a guy who can take that job if Hurts makes it available.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/ex-qb-argues-eagles-gardner-minshew-trade-bad-jalen-hurts?utm_tags=sm_npd_rsn_phi_fb_mn&fbclid=IwAR0_boe0e4sI0a7TbkHcPYxhYSMvFx9qVR0awmvhkL4MsYivOR1g2QLNXcg

Hurts as the second round pick will be given the opportunity to prove he can be the starter. It's his big chance right now. So starts the Jalen Hurts experiment.

Flacco is a good backup and is signed for one year. Is he here next year? Dunno. One year rental.

If Hurts cant go, I think Flacco is next up right now as he knows the playbook better than Minshew.

Does Flacco start all season over Minshew? Maybe. If he wins.

Minshew had some success as the starter for the Jags when Foles got hurt. Minshew had injuries last year that contributed to Jags going 1-15 and drafting Trevor Lawrence #1 overall.

Minshew is a good pickup as a backup to Hurts, to run the scout team, and is an option if Hurts doesn't work out.

Minshew, a sixth round pick, doesn't have the 2nd round draft Eagles investment that Hurts has. 

Minshew is signed for for 2021 and 2022. He is a potential starter and trade bait.

Eagles are in pretty good shape for the QB room.

Manufacturing a QB controversy is unjustified at this time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Just when the Eagles' QB situation seemed to have reached a level of stability, Howie Roseman threw a wrench into the works and traded a conditional sixth-round pick for Gardner Minshew.

And suddenly the quarterback room was once again a breeding ground for hot takes and spicy what-if scenarios.

Like... what if Hurts gets off to a rough start after an unorthodox preseason, and Minshew is just sitting there with his solid career TD-to-INT ratio? Will fans start clamoring for change? Will the coaches entertain the idea?

The 25-year-old has shown he can start in the NFL, and he's a firebrand of a personality, which is why former NFL QB Chris Simms wondered aloud on Monday's edition of ProFootballTalk Live whether the Eagles' trade for Minshew might start weighing on Hurts this year:

"He's that type of personality where, fans are going to like Gardner Minshew just because of his answers, on social media, the way he looks. I mean, he's just got a care-free, charismatic attitude towards the game that's kind of infectious. You just go, 'Man, the guy loves football, this is cool, he seems cool, I like it.' He is that type of backup quarterback where you go, 'Man, I don't want to let this guy on the field,' if I'm the starting quarterback. Because if he has a few good plays, the fans are going to rally around this dude."

"It's weird mixed signals out of there. ... That whole situation is a little odd to me. I'm not going to lie, when they traded for Gardner Minshew the other day, I thought, 'Wait, is this a precursor to where now they might trade away Hurts and maybe Flacco for a Deshaun Watson and some picks?' That was one of the things that percolated through my brain a little bit. Obviously that didn't happen, but I am a little stumped."

Hmm. A backup QB move potentially making the starter look over his shoulder? Where have we heard this before?

Oh, right. Last year. On the Eagles' roster.

Now, Simms is making a logical argument but I think Hurts is not that guy.

Hurts has been replaced as a starter before, back at Alabama, and he seems to have a healthy approach towards his current role as presumptive QB1. The Eagles built everything around Carson Wentz, so when his job was taken away due to poor play he felt like he'd been betrayed. The Eagles... kind of haven't promised Hurts anything, and have almost been demonstrative in not calling him The Guy, so I can't imagine he thinks he's owed anything around here. I don't think Hurts believes starting all 17 games this year is a guarantee unless he plays good football.

The Minshew factor will be certainly be floating around both the fanbase and the NovaCare Complex, but I don't think Hurts will be affected much at all by the trade. He's been training all offseason like he has to prove himself to land the QB1 job, and that's still the case.

It's on Hurts to show us he deserves the QB job, and just like Joe Flacco, Minshew is a guy who can take that job if Hurts makes it available.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/ex-qb-argues-eagles-gardner-minshew-trade-bad-jalen-hurts?utm_tags=sm_npd_rsn_phi_fb_mn&fbclid=IwAR0_boe0e4sI0a7TbkHcPYxhYSMvFx9qVR0awmvhkL4MsYivOR1g2QLNXcg

Wasn't Wentz widely panned for pouting over having competition.  Didn't all the pundits say that Hurts is wired different than Wentz?  Didn't the new head coach say he wants competition at the postion?

• Like 1

I said it with Wentz and I’ll say it with Hurts: if a QB is so mentally fragile that having a backup who doesn’t suck negatively impacts him, then he doesn’t have the mental toughness you need in your franchise QB to begin with. I’m not worried about this affecting Hurts, he seems to have the right type of personality. Whether he has the talent on the field remains to be seen, but I’m not at all concerned with him being affected mentally. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Procus said:

Wasn't Wentz widely panned for pouting over having competition.  Didn't all the pundits say that Hurts is wired different than Wentz?  Didn't the new head coach say he wants competition at the postion?

Yep, yep, and yep.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, nipples said:

I said it with Wentz and I’ll say it with Hurts: if a QB is so mentally fragile that having a backup who doesn’t suck negatively impacts him, then he doesn’t have the mental toughness you need in your franchise QB to begin with. I’m not worried about this affecting Hurts, he seems to have the right type of personality. Whether he has the talent on the field remains to be seen, but I’m not at all concerned with him being affected mentally. 

11 hours ago, time2rock said:

Yep, yep, and yep.  

Yeah if anything I think this will be a good thing for Hurts. Doesn’t come across as a guy who will play badly or pout.

36 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah if anything I think this will be a good thing for Hurts. Doesn’t come across as a guy who will play badly or pout.

I just don't think it will become a "bad thing".  Hurts (granted from the little we know so far) doesn't seem to be phased by competition.  Wentz apparently did ... in a big (negative) way.  Adding Minshew is a move I view as adding another experienced vet to the QB room who is significantly younger than the other vet (Flacco who one would think is only here for 2021) and can move up to #2 next year on a substantially cheaper contract.  

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hurts is cool. Hurts is a guy I can absolutely get behind. Minshew is not in my opinion.

All 3 QBs are Eagles. If they are on the field, I support them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hurts is cool. Hurts is a guy I can absolutely get behind. Minshew is not in my opinion.

From all accounts Minshew is a really popular guy in the locker room ... the vets in Jax loved him.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

From all accounts Minshew is a really popular guy in the locker room ... the vets in Jax loved him.

I don't know why. Again just personal opinion but he looks like a muppet. 

Hurts will not be looking over his shoulder.  And regardless of how Hurts plays, philly fans and media ALWAYS love a backup QB.

• Like 1

Just now, birdman#12 said:

Hurts will not be looking over his shoulder.  And regardless of how Hurts plays, philly fans and media ALWAYS love a backup QB.

Hurts doesn't need to worry about Minshew from a talent perspective that's very true.

22 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hurts doesn't need to worry about Minshew from a talent perspective that's very true.

I don't think Hurts get rattled by guys behind him or people doubting him......he seems really mature and solid that way.  He SEEMS like he can shake off a bad play or series and continue to push and lead.  

I hope Sirianni has some patience with Hurts......he's going to make mistakes, but they have to be willing to endure that if he is to develop as expected.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't know why. Again just personal opinion but he looks like a muppet. 

A muppet with a mullet 😂😂😂

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, time2rock said:

A muppet with a mullet 😂😂😂

I don't rate him that highly as a player. The fact he looks like an ass hat just makes it worse. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't rate him that highly as a player. The fact he looks like an ass hat just makes it worse. 

What.  Minshew has epic swag.

27 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

As a #3 I think he’s a good option.  Obviously nothing is guaranteed but for a 6th rd pick that’s pretty good value (especially considering the position).  IOW if he doesn’t pan out not much lost.  He’s still young (only 25 years old) and has substantial starting experience (20 games) and decent stats (even though he was on a shi … ahem … crappy team).  Would like to see what he may be able to do here … home of THE QB Factory!!!  :lol:

12 hours ago, downundermike said:

What.  Minshew has epic swag.

You think? I mean I think he's got a high level of arrogance to try to pull off the looks he does. But we could go back and forth on this all day. We have different opinions on Minshew and that's fine. 

12 hours ago, time2rock said:

As a #3 I think he’s a good option.  Obviously nothing is guaranteed but for a 6th rd pick that’s pretty good value (especially considering the position).  IOW if he doesn’t pan out not much lost.  He’s still young (only 25 years old) and has substantial starting experience (20 games) and decent stats (even though he was on a shi … ahem … crappy team).  Would like to see what he may be able to do here … home of THE QB Factory!!!  :lol:

Yeah I mean I agree there's really no harm done if he doesn't pan out. They haven't given up a whole host to get him.