First look at the Eagles’ 2021 depth chart

time2rock

First look at the Eagles’ 2021 depth chart

How many wins do you see from this group?

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton  Updated Aug 31, 2021, 4:45pm EDT  

NFL: AUG 27 Preseason - Eagles at Jets

Photo by Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

The Philadelphia Eagles’ roster cuts are in and now you can find an (unofficial) depth chart below. Please note that the Eagles will likely continue to tweak their team over the next few days. For now, though, here’s your initial Eagles 53-man roster for the 2021 NFL season!

OFFENSE

Quarterback (3) — Jalen Hurts, Joe Flacco, Gardner Minshew

Running back (3) — Miles Sanders, Boston Scott, Kenny Gainwell

Wide receiver (5) — DeVonta Smith, Quez Watkins, Jalen Reagor, Greg Ward, J.J. Arcega-Whiteside

Tight end (4) — Zach Ertz, Dallas Goedert, Jack Stoll, Tyree Jackson

Offensive tackle (5) — Jordan Mailata, Lane Johnson, Jack Driscoll, Andre Dillard, Brett Toth

Offensive guard (3) — Brandon Brooks, Isaac Seumalo, Nate Herbig

Center (2) - Jason Kelce, Landon Dickerson

DEFENSE

Defensive end (5) — Brandon Graham, Derek Barnett, Josh Sweat, Ryan Kerrigan, Tarron Jackson

Defensive tackle (4) — Fletcher Cox, Javon Hargrave, Milton Williams, Marlon Tuipulotu

Linebacker (7) — Eric Wilson, Alex Singleton, Davion Taylor, T.J. Edwards, Genard Avery, Shaun Bradley, Patrick Johnson

Cornerback (5) — Darius Slay, Steve Nelson, Avonte Maddox, Zech McPhearson, Josiah Scott

Safety (4) — Rodney McLeod, Anthony Harris, Marcus Epps, K’Von Wallace

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kicker (1) — Jake Elliott

Punter (1) — Arryn Siposs

Long snapper (1) — Rick Lovato

RESERVE/INJURED

Out for the entire 2021 season.

S Blake Countess

TE Jason Croom

WR Michael Walker

PRACTICE SQUAD

The Eagles can start signing players to their 16-man practice squad starting on Wednesday.

THOUGHTS

• I’m proud of the Eagles for not keeping Jordan Howard on the original 53-man roster. Doing so would’ve made no sense since he’s not likely to be signed by another team. The Eagles can bring him back after they clear some roster spots if they really want to do so. In the meantime, they’ll roll with three running backs.
  • Richard Rodgers is another candidate to return in the near future or after Week 1 in order to prevent his 2021 salary from being guaranteed as a vested vet. This assuming the Eagles still look to trade Zach Ertz.
  • The Eagles could look to bring Le’Raven Clark back considering he outplayed Andre Dillard. But the Eagles might be in jeopardy of losing him with the Colts dealing with some offensive tackle injuries.
  • Andrew Adams could potentially come back on the practice squad since the Eagles could use some extra safety depth.
  • Tyree Jackson being kept on the roster confirms he’ll be eligible to return this season. Had the Eagles put him on IR before these cuts, he’d have been out for the season (like Countess now is). Correct decision not to shut him down for the year.
  • Congratulations to Jack Stoll, the only Eagles UDFA signing to make the 53-man roster.
  • Elijah Riley getting waived is a surprise. He provided depth at safety and looked good on special teams. Maybe the Eagles are thinking no one will claim him since he was recently banged up.
  • Sua Opeta is a noteworthy waiving since he was on the roster bubble. The Eagles notably decided to keep extra tackle depth by rostering Brett Toth instead. Toth’s presence could signal a Dillard trade is eventually coming, as it should.
  • JaCoby Stevens is the only pick from the Eagles’ 2021 NFL Draft class NOT to make the roster. The other eight rookies are on ... for now, at least. Philly will likely look to bring Stevens back on the practice squad.
  • Marlon Tuipulotu’s roster spot could be in danger should the Eagles find an upgrade on waivers. Mr. T was really bad in the preseason so the bar there shouldn’t be too high. Or the team might just replace him with McGill after the vet is cleared to return from the reserve/COVID-19 list.
  • Tarron Jackson made the roster after being on the bubble. Had a strong showing in the final preseason game.
  • The Eagles are keeping seven linebackers! For now, at least. It was previously reported they’re getting calls on some of them, which is surprising. Davion Taylor will go to IR to free up a roster spot in the interim so it’s really just six healthy ones.
  • Genard Avery made the team for the second year in a row despite not looking amazing in camp and being hurt.
  • Josiah Scott is yet another player on the bubble who made it.
  • Not going to say it’s convenient for anyone to ever be on the COVID-19 list but this timing worked out favorably for the Eagles and McGill. They had a tough decision to make on him since he looked good in camp but he’s a vested vet and they might not want to keep him on the original 53.
  • Kayode Awosika could be in jeopardy of being claimed. The Eagles will be happy if he makes it through waivers.
  • John Hightower and Travis Fulgham just didn’t do enough to earn roster spots.
  • Hopefully the Eagles can get Jason Huntley through to the practice squad.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/8/31/22650032/eagles-depth-chart-roster-cuts-2021-nfl-philadelphia

1 hour ago, time2rock said:
  • JaCoby Stevens is the only pick from the Eagles’ 2021 NFL Draft class NOT to make the roster. The other eight rookies are on ... for now, at least. Philly will likely look to bring Stevens back on the practice squad.

I have not paid much attention to preseason games, but this is an interesting tidbit.  This means that either we did a great job at making picks or our depth was really bad, making it easy for late round picks to make the team.

And I'm cautiously optimistic.  I think we will not be as bad as many think.  If the line stays healthy and the defense can keep us in games I think this team might win 9.

1 minute ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

I have not paid much attention to preseason games, but this is an interesting tidbit.  This means that either we did a great job at making picks or our depth was really bad, making it easy for late round picks to make the team.

And I'm cautiously optimistic.  I think we will not be as bad as many think.  If the line stays healthy and the defense can keep us in games I think this team might win 9.

I'm with you. I placed a decent-sized wager on over 6.5 wins after I watched the first preseason game. I know preseason is meaningless but Sirianni seems to have the team playing crisp football. And if everything I've read from the beat reporters during joint practices isn't total fluff, then it seems the team respects him. Add in the fact that the national media has pretty much written us off (particularly ESPN, who I think may be the worst journalistic entity in existence today in terms of credibility and knowledge) and it seemed like a decent bet to make.

I don't see us accomplishing anything significant this year, but 7 wins doesn't seem out of the question.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

TBH I don't think Tuipulotu should have made it (he didn't really look that good) but as Gowton pointed out, he probably got a spot because of McGill landing on the reserve/COVID list.  Once McGill is cleared I imagine it will be at the expense of Tuipulotu (who they'll likely try to add to the practice squad).  

Solid team, really good depth. The DE depth stands out!