Philadelphia Eagles sign UDFA DT Marvin Wilson to the practice squad

time2rock

Philadelphia Eagles sign UDFA DT Marvin Wilson to the practice squad

Marvin-Wilson-Eagles-practice-squad.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

September 1, 2021 1:54 pm ET

erby.JPG.dbade4b92584095a16c9f8795aa65b17.JPG

Howie Roseman loves to add talented players that ooze potential to the roster and the latest signee should excite fans in the city.

Per John Clark of NBC Sports Philadelphia, former Florida State All American defensive tackle Marvin Wilson is signing to Philadelphia’s practice squad.

A talented defensive tackle, Wilson signed with the Browns after the draft and was given $191,000 guaranteed before Cleveland waived him this summer.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/01/philadelphia-eagles-marvin-wilson-practice-squad-signing/?fbclid=IwAR0drd9EVSyJ93fm1efyCk8w2COHJqG6VagwDcIQCXb_J86NWsCV7x1vkWg

Good landing spot for him. The 6th rounder from usc is playing like a kid from usc should in the nfl. So far he sucks. DT will be a high priority next draft

1 hour ago, weko said:

Good landing spot for him. The 6th rounder from usc is playing like a kid from usc should in the nfl. So far he sucks. DT will be a high priority next draft

So far he sucks?  Dude he's 3 pre season games into his rookie season as a 6th round pick.  

One important fact you always need to consider in player evaluation. Players coaches front office people all know in 2-3 practices whether a rookie can play in the league. That’s all it takes. You don’t know the ceiling of course but you see the floor. Doesn’t mean this kid can’t play in the league but he is off to a poor start both in our practices and especially in the games. Invisible on the stat sheet and over powered in the games. Hopefully he improves but at this point he sucks 100 per cent. Only on the roster since he was drafted

10 hours ago, downundermike said:

But how did he do in joint practices ??

One final comment for me on this topic and I am done.  i liked this pick at the time.  He had a 4th round grade and we got him early 6th.  Has some mobility and some run stuffing talent.  Maybe the other teams passed because they thought he wasn't good enough at either.  Maybe they were right.  I'm not giving up on the kid, even though he went to USC.  He has 11 month to gain strength, learn the pro game of leverage, improve.  The biggest improvement is from year 1 to 2.  Look at Wadkins.  If he can get a lot strong he may become a rotational piece at DT.  We'll have to see and we'll know the first week of practice next August.  But for now he is too weak in the run game to contribute this year.  He was manhandled by 2nd stringers in the pre season and didn't do much at training camp.  Give him 10+ months to work on it and we'll see how he looks then

• Like 1

21 hours ago, weko said:

One important fact you always need to consider in player evaluation. Players coaches front office people all know in 2-3 practices whether a rookie can play in the league. That’s all it takes. You don’t know the ceiling of course but you see the floor. Doesn’t mean this kid can’t play in the league but he is off to a poor start both in our practices and especially in the games. Invisible on the stat sheet and over powered in the games. Hopefully he improves but at this point he sucks 100 per cent. Only on the roster since he was drafted

That's completely inaccurate.  Nobody knows how a player will develop.....some of these kids come into the NFL at the height of their ability, some are a few years away from reaching their potential......the problem is that there is no way to determine whether they can be developed further except thru upcoaching, practice squads and limited game experience....

Thats's why so many variables come into play when these kids are evaluated for the draft......and there are plenty of guys who never pan out and guys who are drafted late or not at all and become contributing players.  Each team evaluates different based on their coaches schemes or what they desire in a player.  

All those variables may say a kid will be a contributor.....but we've seen it load of times where, for whatever reason, he never makes it. 

Some guys are let go because a team has enough guys at his position in the "development" stage.....there are only enough slots to go around.

I thought NFL Europe was a good way to develop players by game experience with NFL coaching.  I still think a developmental league would be a good idea, but I doubt the NFL feels the expense is worth it.