EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

23 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Define 'well'.   Ward as the leading receiver (receptions) last year was a downright disgrace for this franchise, same with Fulgham leading the team in receiving yards.  

Is there another team that has had a leading receiver at 53 receptions that led the team since the 1980s?  
Another team that has had leading yards gainer at 539 yards (not counting the Eagles of 2019)? 

Ward is a guy... not a good depth player, but a depth player.  

I mentioned that I'd take multiple #4 WRs over him... I looked up two randomly on bad teams (Texans and Lions) and would jump at either of them over him in a heartbeat.  

Played well for what we had which was nothing. Like I said I know the idea is to improve all phases of the roster and I don't give a flying F about Ward now that we got some real talent ahead of him. 

I'm just saying let's actually establish talent at 1-3 before we go worrying about the 4/5th guy. 

Don't try making this about me defending ward or even thinking we cant improve on him.  Just saying right now he is sadly the veteran of that group and until Reagor , Smith and Watkins can put up good numbers and stay on the field for a whole season he is veteran depth. Then I would start moving down the line looking for better depth. 

Let's not pretend like people weren't in love with Avant I said for years we need to get better there cause he was to slow and gave us nothing other then move the chains a few times a season and I got killed for it. 

We had to argue over garbage for  how many seasons because of having no one. I'm not about to argue over garbage now that w have actual talent. 

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

If we end up with 3 1st round picks, I don't see us making 3 selections. A trade would likely happen to move up, for a player, or for future capital right? Would be very tough to re-sign all 3 players in 2026.

They have a golden opportunity to turn those 3 picks into the start of a multitude of picks over the next few years. I like that idea much better than just making three selections while one most likely busts. Keep a conveyor belt of quality picks coming in over the next few years. 

6 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Do you think there was a discrepancy in QB play between the Eagles and Bucs last season? I would take Scotty Miller over Ward.  I mean if Ward had Scotty Miller's speed he would be the 2nd or 3rd WR.  

I agree , Miller just won’t see the reps because of Evans  ,Godwin ,AB , plus they like to throw to the TEs , now they added Bernard as a 3rd down receiving back , they like Tyler Johnson who doesn’t see the field , heck they drafted Darden who they like , but not enough balls to go round , so he was a healthy scratch last week . 

23 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Please please win this game. Can’t wait!!!

This worries me. Bart Scott is one of the smartest football minds on TV. After listening to him for a few years I kind of understand how Rex could have chosen him over Ray Lewis. (Also, I’m sure Rex couldn’t predict Lewis would go from a declining player to magically finding the fountain of youth.)

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

One of the dumbest top 5 picks in recent drafts.   Almost as dumb as drafting a fast TE #4 overall.  

Yeah. But you had to take him at 2 cause he was going to be one of the greatest RBs to ever play…… :ph34r:

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

I think I would take the #4 on almost every team in the league over Greg Ward.

I am an optimistic guy, but we really do end up overrating our own players all the time.

I mean just look at the east. Would people really take Greg Ward over Cedrick Wilson, Kadarius Toney and Adam Humphries?

Humphries is a starting WR not a #4. Toney has proven what so far and a first round choice as a #4 WR is horribly bad value.  Wilson is comparable. Sixth round pick. he did play WR in college.  (Ward was an UDFA that barely played WR as a freshman in college, he was a QB in high school too so he basically was learning the position).  In four years in the NFL Wilson has 25 reception on 39 targets for a 10.4 yards per catch and 64% catch rate to Ward’s 81 catches on 119 targets for a 8.3 yards per catch and a 68% catch rate.  Yards to target are higher for Wilson, and his longest catch also kind of evens out the yards per catch.  Ward has been more productive. Speed is comparable but Wilson is taller.  Not an upgrade but might function as a replacement to Ward.  But real test may be with Calloway out. Unlike Ward, he has never started in the NFL.

Just now, BigEFly said:

Humphries is a starting WR not a #4. Toney has proven what so far and a first round choice as a #4 WR is horribly bad value.  Wilson is comparable. Sixth round pick. he did play WR in college.  (Ward was an UDFA that barely played WR as a freshman in college, he was a QB in high school too so he basically was learning the position).  In four years in the NFL Wilson has 25 reception on 39 targets for a 10.4 yards per catch and 64% catch rate to Ward’s 81 catches on 119 targets for a 8.3 yards per catch and a 68% catch rate.  Yards to target are higher for Wilson, and his longest catch also kind of evens out the yards per catch.  Ward has been more productive. Speed is comparable but Wilson is taller.  Not an upgrade but might function as a replacement to Ward.  But real test may be with Calloway out. Unlike Ward, he has never started in the NFL.

I don’t know pretty impressive statline to Achieve 2 catches for -2 yards. In fantasy football that’s still 1.8 points in a ppr

18 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Of course.  That's what a #4 WR is.  But, I prefer to have a younger WR in that spot with potential to get better, not a guy who has hit their ceiling... unless this is a contender, then a vet that can spot start is valuable.   Greg Ward is 26 years old, and likely has maxed himself out as a WR.   I'd prefer a 22 year old with some upside.   Personal preference... and putting Ward to the PS enables them to bounce him on gameday, if they desire his 'contribution'.   This is a case of me hoping to maximize the current PS rules to get the most benefit for unearthing a potential future contributor.  The odds are long on finding one.  But, that doesn't mean they shouldn't try.   Fulgham was a scrap heap pick up and he actually ended up leading the team in receiving yards... with only 4 or 5 starts.  Which shows just how pathetic this receiving corps was last year.   Things are looking up with the top 3 this year though... so most of this is a moot point.

Eh I guess I would feel that way if our top 3 weren't already really young high-upside but raw guys already.  Or if we were in total rebuild mode in the second half of the season and just wanted to roll the dice on guys like Hightower and Fulgham and hope they take a leap. But early season and a young WR room, I got no problem with a boring low-ceiling but reliable veteran presence.  

13 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

One of the dumbest top 5 picks in recent drafts.   Almost as dumb as drafting a fast TE #4 overall.  

If it wasn’t Barkley it would have been Darnold but yeah the average fan knows taking a RB #2 overall is dumb. 

12 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yeah. But you had to take him at 2 cause he was going to be one of the greatest RBs to ever play…… :ph34r:

Honestly Barkley was the best RB coming out college since Darren McFadden……. Ok you have a point… 

As the resident Ward "hater,” who cares? He basically is our WR5 now, which is how it should be. He’s perfectly fine there for now. 

If you want further evidence on not drafting a RB that high all you gotta do is look at the Buc/Cowboys opener. 2 #4 overall picks from 2016/2017 running for 3.0 and 3.6 YPC and a combined total of 65 yards and 0 TDs in the game. 

26 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Less than the cost of a cup of coffee.  He's still a QB turned WR.  Davonta Smith has been playing WR longer than Ward, even if not at the NFL level.  But, Davonta Smith his freshmen year at Alabama was a better WR than Greg Ward has ever dreamt of being.

Smith is an admitted introvert. The beats state Ward is one of the most popular players in the locker room.  Working together in the offseason?  Hurts, Watkins and Ward.  There is something to be said for the role in the locker room.  There is something to be said how Watkins adopted Wards and Hurts work ethic.  Smith has it too.  Intangible worth. But not a worth that should hold a roster spot alone.    Smith will always be a better receiver than Ward but as a leader in the locker room?  Hard to say.  Ward is barely 26.  He’s not old.  Fulgham is 26 too.  

12 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

As the resident Ward "hater,” who cares? He basically is our WR5 now, which is how it should be. He’s perfectly fine there for now. 

Amazing that we are on the same page on this aspect.  

17 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Honestly Barkley was the best RB coming out college since Darren McFadden……. Ok you have a point… 

Oh i said not to draft him at 2. I’m just making fun of the point someone made on here for continuously saying he was going to be the next Jim brown like it was a lock that he couldn’t fail or disappoint due to circumstances out of his control. I kept saying the giants needed to trade back to maximize the pick or if they loved QB take one cause they weren’t one RB away from being even good. Furthermore he hasn’t maximized his value due to a continuously bad oline 

24 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Humphries is the #3 only because Curtis Samuel is on IR. Othewise it would be McLaurin #1, Samuel #2, Brown #3 and Humphries #4 - he was brought in the be the #4 WR.

Toney is faster and has more potential then Ward, which is why he was a #1 round pick, regardless of what people think about him.

All that other stuff about rounds, being a QB in college, etc is all fluff and means nothing. All that matters is where he is as a #4, which IMHO is probably one of the worst in the league.

14 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

If you want further evidence on not drafting a RB that high all you gotta do is look at the Buc/Cowboys opener. 2 #4 overall picks from 2016/2017 running for 3.0 and 3.6 YPC and a combined total of 65 yards and 0 TDs in the game. 

Well, you have to love Jerry Jones who drafts like he is building the Arkansas team that he and Jimmy Johnson played on when at college.  

23 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I mean I would probably prefer to have someone different there, but whatever, it is what it is.

28 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

If it wasn’t Barkley it would have been Darnold but yeah the average fan knows taking a RB #2 overall is dumb. 

Or it could have been Josh Allen

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

That was my favorite QB in that draft. But there was no way teams were taking him over darnold or by the time the draft hit mayfield. Giants probably would’ve taken Rosen cause they are schmucks 

11 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Oh i said not to draft him at 2. I’m just making fun of the point someone made on here for continuously saying he was going to be the next Jim brown like it was a lock that he couldn’t fail or disappoint due to circumstances out of his control. I kept saying the giants needed to trade back to maximize the pick or if they loved QB take one cause they weren’t one RB away from being even good. Furthermore he hasn’t maximized his value due to a continuously bad oline 

Yeah Barkley was a stud coming out of college. IMO he was the best overall player in that draft. However, he’s a RB. If you already have a good roster that is prime for a deep playoff run, sure take him with a top 15 pick. 

Jim Brown played in an era where the forward pass was barely a thing and he was the fastest guy on the field while being as big and strong as all the lineman. It’d be like if Aaron Donald ran a 4.3 in today’s NFL. There will never be another Jim Brown. 

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think they would have gone Darnold. 

53 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

See I love Smith but he's not yet reliable. I'm sure he will be but it's still very early days. Reagor is a guy who will flash at times but he's not a reliable guy. Watkins needs to be schemed to play. So no I don't yet think we are ready to go without a Ward type WR.

Smith is more reliable than Ward.   We don't need Ward while we have Ertz.

Archived