EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

14 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

It will be interesting to watch as the season unfolds.   All I know is that if you cut the field into 9 pieces...  

Deep Left         =     Deep Middle          =       Deep Right
Intermediate Left = Intermediate Middle =   Intermediate Right
      Short Left        =.     Short Middle.        =       Short Right

And his throws are almost all in the Short Left, Short Right and Intermediate Right pieces... this will turn into a very long season.  The entire field needs to be threatened, not heavily used, but certainly threatened.   At the current rate of things, we could be seeing a ton of single high safety, shaded to the right side of the field with an 8 man box almost all the time.  That will make running harder, and they will be jamming up on those WR screens hard.   And the middle LB would have almost no pass defense responsibilities.  

16 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I don't think we can expect this issue to be addressed in a season if it is truly an issue in his game.  

If we see this issue, just imagine what good defensive coordinators can do when they see this. Defenses will just take away the underneath and run game and force Hurts to beat them in the middle and downfield. 

It wont take a year to bring the offense to it's knees if Hurts doesn't progress, because of the above. A few more games of exposure and NS will have to make a change. 

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That is why the pick made no sense to me at the time . And to compound things, not moving on from Ertz 1 1/2 years ago made no sense either.  So here we are.  Stuck with an expensive older TE and 2nd round draft pick TE who was never given the chance to "take the TE1 spot and make it his" because of poor roster construction.   They weren't going to pay Ertz all that money and then let DG take the #1 spot.  Just like they aren't going to let Watkins just take Reagor's snaps.  

I didn't mind the Goeddert pick in terms of talent. It was an odd pick in light of the need.  I mean they passed up a few good prospects at interior o-line and receiver.  I think there were a lot of us that thought Guice could have been the pick.  DJ Chark would have been a pick that better fit a need to add speed at the receiver position.  

8 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

They or anyone close to them would never admit the reason why they drafted him.  They would always use BPA as the reason.  Which isn't always the best strategy.  That pick was proof of that.  But they compounded the issue by force feeding 12 formation and not moving Ertz after 2019 for a higher pick, to make everyone happy.  They didn't draft DG because they needed him for the 12.  They went to the 12 to justify the pieces.  

This is correct. Though, if they had shipped Ertz out last year or even this past offseason, it would help make the Goedert pick look at least a little bit better. Now, it's likely both are gone after this year. 

:offtopic:  one more thought on the Gabby Petito case.  What a strange society we've created where "travel bloggers" are able to make a comfortable living just driving across the country and making videos about their hikes and camping.  Now, I work in hospitality and understand the importance of blogging about destinations but this whole YouTube generation is incredible.  

1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

I didn't mind the Goeddert pick in terms of talent. It was an odd pick in light of the need.  I mean they passed up a few good prospects at interior o-line and receiver.  I think there were a lot of us that thought Guice could have been the pick.  DJ Chark would have been a pick that better fit a need to add speed at the receiver position.  

Just now, TorontoEagle said:

This is correct. Though, if they had shipped Ertz out last year or even this past offseason, it would help make the Goedert pick look at least a little bit better. Now, it's likely both are gone after this year. 

with how bad we draft at times, I'll take DG anyday. He was worthy of a 1st round pick, shame we dont utilize his talents more.  

Food for thought. 

Wouldn't you rather have DG over the likes of:

Dillard

Agholor

Marcus Smith

Danny Watkins

Broderick Bunkley

Mike Patterson

Shawn Andrews

Jerome McDougal

Freddie Mitchell

John Harris

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

:offtopic:  one more thought on the Gabby Petito case.  What a strange society we've created where "travel bloggers" are able to make a comfortable living just driving across the country and making videos about their hikes and camping.  Now, I work in hospitality and understand the importance of blogging about destinations but this whole YouTube generation is incredible.  

Short lived careers.  they can do so for a maximum of 5-10 years, the public eventually moves on. 

54 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

One thing to note with designed deep shots: These aren’t drawn up with the idea that the QB will throw the ball 65 yards in the air. That goes for Allen and Mahomes too. 

It’s one thing to crow hop, but it’s another to take way too much time to get to your read and your landmark. I think Hurts either took too long to get to his landmark, or he failed to decisively pull the the trigger. Maybe it was both, but the turned a 50 yard pass into a 65 yard one. He should only be throwing that far for Hail Marys or scramble drills. 

I think it was IP who said Hurts rolled too far to his right; I'm inclined to agree with this.

I characterize the play as a "1/2 rollout" the way McNabb used to throw it in rhythm -- Hurts was more of a "three-quarters rollout", for lack of a better description

6 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Jelly?

2 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Colts are 0-2 and Wentz already hurt. Trade not looking so good 

That second round pick could be in the mid 30s at least

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Jessie Bates, DJ Chark, James Washington, Brian O'Neill, Justin Reid, Fred Warner, Royce Freeman, Sam Hubbard, Michael Gallup.  That's just a few of the players at positions of actual need for the Eagles at the time.  

Then there's the argument that Mark Andrews is a better tight end and was taken a full round after DG.  So the Ravens moved back and got the better tight end.  

The best thing about the trade is the Eagles got the Ravens 2019 2nd round pick, Miles Sanders.  However, if the Eagles don't extend either it's a loss IMO.  Andrews is locked up with the Ravens and the Eagles might let both of their players walk.

1 minute ago, Ipiggles said:

with how bad we draft at times, I'll take DG anyday. He was worthy of a 1st round pick, shame we dont utilize his talents more.  

Food for thought. 

Dillard

Agholor

Marcus Smith

Danny Watkins

Broderick Bunkley

Mike Patterson

Shawn Andrews

Jerome McDougal

Freddie Mitchell

John Harris

Bunkley was solid. I think he just ran too hot and cold. Patterson was a starter for years but average at best. Andrews was the best guard in the league when he wanted to play. Agholor was a stud in the Super Bowl, the disrespect he gets is a little much. 

marcus Smith and Watkins are by far the worst 1st round picks since I’ve been watching. Dillard may surpass them since he was a trade up. Don’t remember John Harris 

11 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

If we see this issue, just imagine what good defensive coordinators can do when they see this. Defenses will just take away the underneath and run game and force Hurts to beat them in the middle and downfield. 

It wont take a year to bring the offense to it's knees if Hurts doesn't progress, because of the above. A few more games of exposure and NS will have to make a change. 

Change to what?  Ultimately, the NFL is a matchup game and the Eagles have enough talent to make defending even part of the field difficult. There are always going to be positive plays he can make if the scheme is any good.  Hurts needs to progress over the course of the season in order to keep his job.  If he has 10 games like the one against Atlanta, then I would feel pretty optimistic about him.  If he has 10 games like the one against SF, I won't.  His game will have flaws and tendencies but so does every other team.  

7 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Hurts was more of a "three-quarters rollout", with a hop, skip, jump and the hokey pokey mixed in

FYP.  Ball should have been out while he was on the move two steps before he attempted his set up to throw.

I posted a video of Gardner Minshew making that same throw on the move yesterday.  It is an arm strength issue.

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I follow some kid named Mav.  He lives out of his truck or beetle camper.  His main purpose is to do all things outdoors and then make recipes that subscribers suggest.  He spent a good portion of the summer in Baja, met some cool locals and had some great looking food.  He's living the life right now.  But he also does that ish in the winter up north in Minn and Canada.  So hell NO to that.  I agree though, not sustainable.  He seems to have a good head on his shoulders.  Not some millennial with an IG girlfriend running around the country looking for selfie ops.  

That's the thing, I'm a gearhead, aviation geek and bbq lover.  I follow a few channels that 100% provide good content that is enjoyable to watch.  A lot goes in to it.  The bolded is the point I was trying to make.  There seems to be just a lot of that.  

13 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

You know there's a 12 year old making millions from reviewing toys on youtube?

7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Jessie Bates, DJ Chark, James Washington, Brian O'Neill, Justin Reid, Fred Warner, Royce Freeman, Sam Hubbard, Michael Gallup.  That's just a few of the players at positions of actual need for the Eagles at the time.  

Then there's the argument that Mark Andrews is a better tight end and was taken a full round after DG.  So the Ravens moved back and got the better tight end.  

The best thing about the trade is the Eagles got the Ravens 2019 2nd round pick, Miles Sanders.  However, if the Eagles don't extend either it's a loss IMO.  Andrews is locked up with the Ravens and the Eagles might let both of their players walk.

Don't forget about M.J. Stewart, Kemoko Turay and Duke Dawson were right there for the taking as well. You know players taken after DG but before almost all the players you mentioned.

6 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Bunkley was solid. I think he just ran too hot and cold. Patterson was a starter for years but average at best. Andrews was the best guard in the league when he wanted to play. Agholor was a stud in the Super Bowl, the disrespect he gets is a little much. 

marcus Smith and Watkins are by far the worst 1st round picks since I’ve been watching. Dillard may surpass them since he was a trade up. Don’t remember John Harris 

The question was who would you rather have.

I'll take DG and his talent to be here over that list. 

6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I follow some kid named Mav.  He lives out of his truck or beetle camper.  His main purpose is to do all things outdoors and then make recipes that subscribers suggest.  He spent a good portion of the summer in Baja, met some cool locals and had some great looking food.  He's living the life right now.  But he also does that ish in the winter up north in Minn and Canada.  So hell NO to that.  I agree though, not sustainable.  He seems to have a good head on his shoulders.  Not some millennial with an IG girlfriend running around the country looking for selfie ops.  

Winter camping is fantastic. So peaceful, so quiet. I often get 13 hours uninterrupted sleep when winter camping. 

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

Yea, some of the money involved is ridiculous.  Box openings, playing with toys it goes on and on.  Shoot, the guys I follow, I've researched and their annual YT earnings are well over $1 million.  Not hating on it, just blows your mind when it comes down to it. 

8 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Change to what?  Ultimately, the NFL is a matchup game and the Eagles have enough talent to make defending even part of the field difficult. There are always going to be positive plays he can make if the scheme is any good.  Hurts needs to progress over the course of the season in order to keep his job.  If he has 10 games like the one against Atlanta, then I would feel pretty optimistic about him.  If he has 10 games like the one against SF, I won't.  His game will have flaws and tendencies but so does every other team.  

If defenses keep doing to us what San Fran did, NS will have to pull Hurts, because his ability is limiting this team. 

6 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Food for thought. 

Dillard

Agholor

Marcus Smith

Danny Watkins

Broderick Bunkley

Mike Patterson

Shawn Andrews

Jerome McDougal

Freddie Mitchell

John Harris

Mike Patterson was a decent DT and played up to his pick.  Shawn Andrews would have been a great player but for his back.  Really wanted them to draft Greenway instead of Bunkley.  Bunkley was OK but never lived up to his draft status.  

6 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

That's the thing, I'm a gearhead, aviation geek and bbq lover.  I follow a few channels that 100% provide good content that is enjoyable to watch.  A lot goes in to it.  The bolded is the point I was trying to make.  There seems to be just a lot of that.  

5 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Yea, some of the money involved is ridiculous.  Box openings, playing with toys it goes on and on.  Shoot, the guys I follow, I've researched and their annual YT earnings are well over $1 million.  Not hating on it, just blows your mind when it comes down to it. 

I actually follow a couple of the music reaction folks.  There is a mid 20's African American guy who watches heavy metal videos.  His reactions are hilarious.

Just now, NCiggles said:

Mike Patterson was a decent DT and played up to his pick.  Shawn Andrews would have been a great player but for his back.  Really wanted them to draft Greenway instead of Bunkley.  Bunkley was OK but never lived up to his draft status.  

again who would you rather have? 

I'd take DG who will likely be here and have a much longer, more productive career, injuries not withstanding. 

Archived