How Mark Andrews' 4-year, $56M deal with the Ravens impacts Eagles TE Dallas Goedert

time2rock

How Mark Andrews' 4-year, $56M deal with the Ravens impacts Eagles TE Dallas Goedert

Mark-Andrews-contract-Dallas-Goedert-e1630972790912.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

September 6, 2021 8:04 pm ET

erby1.PNG.c33a39eb877523a37a0932fa3b068fa1.PNG

Dallas Goedert is entering the final year of his deal and he’s due to be an unrestricted free agent in 2022. Contract talks between the talented tight end and the Eagles have broken down and thanks to Mark Andrews, the price may have just gone up.

Ian Rapoport of NFL.com is reporting that Andrews and the Ravens just agreed on a new four-year, $56 million contract extension.

erby2.PNG.fcebf47f2e4e4dcc5df8a36efeaef9e6.PNG

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler is reporting that Andrews will get $37.6 million in guaranteed money, with $26.6 million to be paid by March 2022.

Drafted after Goedert in the 2018 NFL Draft (86th overall), Andrews has logged 156 catches for 2,105 yards, and 20 touchdowns, with one Pro Bowl nomination.

Goedert (49th overall) has logged 137 catches for 1,465 yards and 12 touchdowns over the first three years of his career, and the expectation was that he could command $12 million per season.

Goedert hasn’t been an elite tight end, but neither has Jonnu Smith or Hunter Henry, and both were paid well this offseason by the New England Patriots. The Eagles’ tight end won’t get Travis Kelce or George Kittle money, but he’s just as valuable as Smith and Henry potential-wise.

While Goedert is not a playmaker on the level of Kelce and Kittle, he should be in line for a huge deal next offseason.

Before Andrews’ deal with Baltimore, we projected that Goedert could be in line for a four-year, $52 million contract with the Eagles, with the tight end getting around $30 million in fully guaranteed salary.

Per Over The Cap, that number would be put Goedert at $13 million per season, right behind Andrews and Kelce for the highest average per year.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/06/eagles-dallas-goedert-mark-andrews-contract-extension-ravens-impact/?fbclid=IwAR07meIejyhSBIvUNRVTaKPMOILHaMlPPjxSbWogY92SJhusYX5XeN2YGA8

At that price it’s a good idea to know his trade value in case they get a great offer and choose to spend the money elsewhere. I imagine we would want to get Ertz’s 8.5 mil off the books before if we extend him. I don’t see us letting Goedert walk for a 3rd or 4th round comp pick. I would bet we extend him by the trading deadline or deal him

I mean... Goedert suggested at the weekend that he's going to let this year play out and then pretty much test the market. I believe he was even made an offer by the Eagles but wasn't happy with it? And you know what? At first I thought, okay we need to tie this guy down but actually do we? He's not an elite TE, he's only flashed potential and has a long way to go. 

My guess is that Goedert walks, Tyree Jackson becomes the second TE and TE of the future, and Zach Ertz gets an extension.

Since Goedert is due for a nice payday, Eagles are looking at a high comp pick if/when he leaves in free agency.

6 hours ago, Procus said:

Since Goedert is due for a nice payday, Eagles are looking at a high comp pick if/when he leaves in free agency.

And whilst I think that is the way it should go and the way the Eagles probably need to play this out now it does beg the question of why they drafted him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And whilst I think that is the way it should go and the way the Eagles probably need to play this out now it does beg the question of why they drafted him. 

Personally I would let this year play out and unless anything dramatic happens, let Ertz walk and franchise Goedert next year. That will hopefully give us a full opportunity to see how good he can be as TE1. 

I do think Ertz will have a bounce back year, but I’d rather keep the younger more rounded TE long term if possible.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Personally I would let this year play out and unless anything dramatic happens, let Ertz walk and franchise Goedert next year. That will hopefully give us a full opportunity to see how good he can be as TE1. 

I do think Ertz will have a bounce back year, but I’d rather keep the younger more rounded TE long term if possible.

You know what I think that's not a bad idea. But what would the franchise hit be for a franchise TE.

13 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean... Goedert suggested at the weekend that he's going to let this year play out and then pretty much test the market. I believe he was even made an offer by the Eagles but wasn't happy with it? And you know what? At first I thought, okay we need to tie this guy down but actually do we? He's not an elite TE, he's only flashed potential and has a long way to go. 

That article is nonsense, Goedert put up those numbers as the second option at TE behind a 3 times pro bowler, while Andrews has been TE1 since he was drafted, the idea he hasn't shown enough is nonsense and it's why he'll get paid somewhere else. 

These stories about him turning down offers are the team softening up the fan base for not keeping either next year because they can't afford it.

Fully expect one of the early round picks next year to be someone like Jalen Wydermeyer or Isiah Likely.