Howie Roseman says don't assume CeeDee Lamb trade was on the table

Procus

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/2020-nfl-draft-howie-roseman-trade-ceedee-lamb

Howie Roseman says don't assume CeeDee Lamb trade was on the table

Howie Roseman denied that the Eagles rejected a trade up in the first round of the draft Thursday that could have landed them CeeDee Lamb, the consensus best receiver in the draft.

The Eagles stayed at No. 21 and took receiver Jalen Reagor, then drafted quarterback Jalen Hunts at No. 53 in the second round.

Later that night, Roseman said the Eagles considered a trade up in the first round but rejected the idea because he didn’t want to trade picks away.

That was widely interpreted as Roseman saying the Eagles elected not to trade the team’s second-round pick as part of a deal to move up and draft Lamb.

Which would have meant the Eagles would rather have the fifth- or sixth-rated receiver in the draft and a backup quarterback instead of Lamb.

Here’s what Roseman said Thursday night when asked about trade-up opportunities: "We looked at those options. It was important to us that certainly we kept our high picks. We haven't had a lot of those. And guys really weren't in a range where it was even in consideration that we could get somewhere without a really high pick.”

The Eagles only had five picks in 2018 and five last year. They had 10 this year, their most since they had 11 in 2011.

On Monday afternoon, Roseman appeared with John Marks and Ike Reese on 94 WIP and said his comments Thursday night should not have been interpreted as saying the Eagles turned down a specific trade for Lamb.

"Let’s not connect the dots,” he said. "I never said it was going to be a 2nd-round pick, I never said someone would take the 2nd-round pick or wouldn’t take the 2nd-round pick. You go through that round before us and tell me who was traded. I didn’t say if it was future picks involved or anything.”

The lack of moving up is going to be one that defines this draft I think. If Lamb balls out and Reagor and Hurts don't then Howie is going to take some flack for this. 

13 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The lack of moving up is going to be one that defines this draft I think. If Lamb balls out and Reagor and Hurts don't then Howie is going to take some flack for this. 

It could and should cost him his job. Last year Metcalf destroyed the Eagles while JJaw dropped passes, ran terrible routes and couldn’t get open. If Lamb goes off on the Eagles and Reagor and Hurts struggle Howie will never hear the end of it. 

Lamb is going to be a pain in our butts for years.  That part is as certain as anything can be immediately after a draft.  But living with that would have been a lot easier if we'd taken the other top WR who was left at #53 instead of drafting a back-up QB.

17 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

It could and should cost him his job. Last year Metcalf destroyed the Eagles while JJaw dropped passes, ran terrible routes and couldn’t get open. If Lamb goes off on the Eagles and Reagor and Hurts struggle Howie will never hear the end of it. 

I don't think Lurie will fire him. But, I agree that this draft should define Howie's future either positively or negatively. If Lamb, Aiyuk and Jefferson end up being better than Reagor and if Hurts is a bust, then that would cost most GMs their job. But, I don't think Lurie will fire Howie. 

Ceedee Lamb is far from a sure thing.  He played in a system that got him wide open with little effort.  Also, he had elite QBs throwing to him.  Let’s see how he does when a DB is finally in his face.

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Flack as in get fired

Lamb was my top receiver in my predraft  prep. But now I picture him with that Star and realize he’s just a lanky fragile overrated player that benefitted from great coaching and QBing.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

I don't disagree I'm certainly no Howie fan so I'd happily see us fire him and bring someone else in. 

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Flack as in get fired

Flack as in criticism. As in major grief.

If we had Lamb and two 4th round plahers in this draft, i’d be done

if we were really smart, we would have traded ertz and owned the whole draft

Howie is only good at the margin.  He’s a nerd who thinks he ins, when he loss the big picture. 

Don’t worry, i’ll buy the team shortly and we’ll get it right. 

The worst part about the days between the draft and the regular season is listening to all the jilted fans that haven't yet gotten over their pre-draft man-crushes. 

On 4/28/2020 at 11:35 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

Lamb was my top receiver in my predraft  prep. But now I picture him with that Star and realize he’s just a lanky fragile overrated player that benefitted from great coaching and QBing.

About time someone said it !!!

4 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Lol well of course he wouldn't say it was on the table

Yea I really don’t know what people expect to get out of howie. It’s not like this is his first year here. He knows how to handle the media. 

I don't recall the Eagles mentioning Lamb as the target.  It's always hush hush no name reports that the Eagles were trying to trade up for Lamb.  The Eagles just say they tried to trade up.  I think it's safe to say that they valued Henry Ruggs III the most just by the speed theme this year and maybe Jeudy as well as he just plays fast in and out of breaks and is always open.  Lamb is mainly a contested catch guy on the outside with mega body control and physicality to win in those situations then he goes mega nuts after the catch.  I don't think the Eagles wanted that type of WR.  Totally just a theory but wasn't everyone in the Philly media and elsewhere convinced they wanted Justin Jefferson.  The Eagles didn't want that type of guy.  I remember Howie stressing that the team had to get faster and younger many months ago in an interview with PFW and he's a straight shooter in those situations.