Australia’s 150kg NFL star Jordan Mailata told he was ‘too small’ for the NFL

VaBeach_Eagle

Australia’s 150kg NFL star Jordan Mailata told he was ‘too small’ for the NFL

https://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/nfl/australias-150kg-nfl-star-jordan-mailata-told-he-was-too-small-for-the-nfl/news-story/08cec2cbf24cdb62ab20d94221eebc4d

Australian Jordan Mailata entered the NFL weighing nearly 150kg — but was told he had to beef up to make an impact in America.

Nic SavageNic Savage

@nic_savage1

2 min read
September 11, 2021 - 1:01PM

Australian NFL prodigy Jordan Mailata has revealed the drastic body change that cemented his place at the Philadelphia Eagles.

When former rugby league player Mailata first arrived in the United States four years ago, he weighed nearly 150kg and had 10 per cent body fat. But as revealed by The Sydney Morning Herald, NFL scouts branded him "too small” and said he needed more of a "gut” to play in the offensive line.

Ironically, rugby league had rejected the Bankstown-born athlete for being too big and cumbersome – Mailata represented the South Sydney under-20s side before pursuing a career in the NFL.

Mailata has spent four years with the Eagles honing his craft before eventually making his NFL debut off the bench last season. But the 24-year-old had to transform his monstrous 203cm frame to break into the side.

"When I first came here, I was still pretty small. I was 148kg, 150kg. They’re used to seeing players in the O-line with guts,” Mailata told The Sydney Morning Herald.

"I’ll be honest, I don’t know what I am in kilograms, but I think I’m 155 to 160kg.”

Mailata’s career took a huge step forward after he was declared the number one protector for Philadelphia quarterback Jalen Hurts. Last week, Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni revealed the Australian would be the starting left tackle this season, beating out former first-round pick Andrew Dillard for the role.

"Jordan will be our starter,” Sirianni confirmed. "Jordan had a great camp, Andre had a great camp. Andre missed some time and during that time, the chemistry with the offensive line was able to build.

”It’s a good problem for us to have. We have two left tackles that can really play and can start.

"Jordan did a good job winning that position, but I don’t want to short Andre at all. When he was in, he played really well. He played a phenomenal last pre-season game. I thought that was also the case in the Jets practices as well.

"You don’t just say, ‘Hey, here’s one game and here’s a splash game’ and we’re just doing everything based off of that. The whole body of work’s in play. I’m sure glad we have both those guys on this roster.”

Philadelphia right tackle Lane Johnson recently described Mailata as a "freak of nature” following a joint workout.

The elevation to the starting line-up also puts Mailata on track for a massive contract increase, and he could earn as much as $20 million. He is currently earning around $1.2 million.

Mailata will be given the job of protecting Hurts’ blind side, one of the key roles in the offensive line, having risen from relative obscurity after being a "longshot” selection by the Eagles in the 2018 NFL draft.

Mailata is one of seven Australians in the NFL this season, including 28-year-old Arryn Siposs, who played 28 AFL games for St Kilda before turning his attention to punting at the age of 25.

Philadelphia’s season gets underway on Monday morning, with their clash against the Atlanta Falcons scheduled to commence at 3am AEST.

On 9/12/2021 at 4:49 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What a story. What a player. Absolutely fantastic. 

Agreed. Would love to see a movie one day. 

On 9/12/2021 at 4:49 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What a story. What a player. Absolutely fantastic. 

If ever an NFL players story deserved to be made into a movie, it's his. Especially when you take into account the heart problems that he had when he was younger. 

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Agreed. Would love to see a movie one day. 

lol I just made my comment about that, then read your post. 

• Like 2