Matthew Stafford

GroundAttack

Always liked this guy. Mainly his toughness. Finally with a team that has a defense that he can rely on and doesn't have to do it all himself. He also couldn't be with a better coach. Playoff football should be the norm for Stafford the rest of his career. He may not win MVP but I sure hope he pushes for it. I have a feeling he'll finish 3rd in MVP voting. 

• Like 2

I think he's a talented guy who like you say now has a chance to really express himself. He's with a good team and a good offense that is backed by a very strong defense. Let's see what he's got now. He's certainly a lot of fun to watch with the way he slings the ball around. 

Stafford got stuck with the injury-prone label early in his NFL career. He had back-to-back seasons with a knee injury, then shoulder surgery. Maybe that's why he's so tough? I always thought that was unfair.... Stafford actually led a few good Lions teams, never got over the hump, before they started sucking again. Anyway, I am curious to see what a McVey offense looks like with a cagey vet like Stafford playing QB. This Rams team seems stronger than most of the teams Stafford played with before.

13 minutes ago, toolg said:

Stafford got stuck with the injury-prone label early in his NFL career. He had back-to-back seasons with a knee injury, then shoulder surgery. Maybe that's why he's so tough? I always thought that was unfair.... Stafford actually led a few good Lions teams, never got over the hump, before they started sucking again. Anyway, I am curious to see what a McVey offense looks like with a cagey vet like Stafford playing QB. This Rams team seems stronger than most of the teams Stafford played with before.

Stafford has always had bottom of the league rushing attack and bottom of the league defense. There is a reason he is tops in the league for 4th quarter comebacks cause those 2 things always sucked and he had to win games in a shootout all the time.

Sure he had Calvin Johnson but that was about it. I don't think you could name another player that was worth a damn he played with. There was some solid guys but, 1 elite player and no rushing attack in all that time and he they still at least managed to stay mediocre. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Stafford has always had bottom of the league rushing attack and bottom of the league defense. There is a reason he is tops in the league for 4th quarter comebacks cause those 2 things always sucked and he had to win games in a shootout all the time.

Sure he had Calvin Johnson but that was about it. I don't think you could name another player that was worth a damn he played with. There was some solid guys but, 1 elite player and no rushing attack in all that time and he they still at least managed to stay mediocre. 

Suh?  Sure, other side of the ball….

14 minutes ago, paco said:

Suh?  Sure, other side of the ball….

Even with Suh that defense sucked. If the line didn't suck the secondary sucked. 

Either way I'm not about to defend Stafford to death or anything lol. I just think he is a lot better then given credit for

56 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Even with Suh that defense sucked. If the line didn't suck the secondary sucked. 

Either way I'm not about to defend Stafford to death or anything lol. I just think he is a lot better then given credit for

There was a period that defense was really good. They had guys like Suh, Ansah, Levy, Avril, Slay, Tulloch, Quin and Fairley who were all good to great players. Offensively he had the best WR in the league in Megatron, Tate, Marvin Jones, Golladay, Ebron and Nate Burleson at the WR/TE positions in their good seasons. RB was a revolving door but guys like Reggie Bush and Theo Riddick were two of the better receiving backs in the league. They also had Joique Bell, while not a big name, but this was a nice stat I found

Bell again played all 16 games for Detroit, finishing with 650 rushing yards and eight rushing touchdowns. Bell also caught 53 passes for 547 yards, as he and teammate Reggie Bush, who had 54 receptions for 506 yards, became the first running back duo in NFL history to both top 500 rushing yards and 500 receiving yards in a season.

They probably weren't championship squads, but they did underperform for a long time considering some of the talent they had. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mat said:

There was a period that defense was really good. They had guys like Suh, Ansah, Levy, Avril, Slay, Tulloch, Quin and Fairley who were all good to great players. Offensively he had the best WR in the league in Megatron, Tate, Marvin Jones, Golladay, Ebron and Nate Burleson at the WR/TE positions in their good seasons. RB was a revolving door but guys like Reggie Bush and Theo Riddick were two of the better receiving backs in the league. They also had Joique Bell, while not a big name, but this was a nice stat I found

Bell again played all 16 games for Detroit, finishing with 650 rushing yards and eight rushing touchdowns. Bell also caught 53 passes for 547 yards, as he and teammate Reggie Bush, who had 54 receptions for 506 yards, became the first running back duo in NFL history to both top 500 rushing yards and 500 receiving yards in a season.

They probably weren't championship squads, but they did underperform for a long time considering some of the talent they had. 

He has definitely had some decent groups here and there. None of it lasted though

There best defensive ranking since Stafford was drafted was 3rd after that the next best was 13 then it was all down hill after that. Had a couple more seasons sprinkled in ranked in the middle the rest were all bottom 10. 

The best rushing attack he had by yards was even more eye popping. The best rushing attack he had was 17th after that the next best was 21 then after that it was all dead last to mid 20's. 

Coaching plays apart in this as well. Wayne Fontes is still their most winningest coach at 66-67... 

Like I said I'm not going to.defend him to death but, they really never built anything that lasted his whole.time there. 

Stafford's best shot with Detroit probably came too early in his career and under Jim Schwartz, 2010-11 Detroit had Megatron, Nate Burleson was still a decent #2 Receiver and Brandon Pettigrew was still a 700 yards and 5 TD TE, their running game wasn't great but should've been enough to keep defenses honest if they were used right, 2010 he injured both shoulders one requiring surgery, 2011 they started 5-0 then fell to bits and went 5-6 for the rest of the season, they broke 30 points 7 times (40 points 4 times) in 2011, but they managed to get hammered for 45 points in both week 17  and the playoff round and that was that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 3:00 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

That, plus overall playing for a crap organization. 

Rams did give up the farm for him - but if they advance in the playoffs, those first round picks they parted with become a lot less valuable.

19 hours ago, Procus said:

That, plus overall playing for a crap organization. 

Rams did give up the farm for him - but if they advance in the playoffs, those first round picks they parted with become a lot less valuable.

It was a calculated risk giving up the farm for him.  They already knew what he was as a player and felt he was the missing piece.   They were not going to gamble with a draft picks and waste Donald’s carrier on another Goff.  Super bowl is in Inglewood and they intend on having HFA in it 

• Like 1