Jake Elliot

Procus

What's with the kicker?  Looks like the coaching staff doesn't have a lot of confidence in him right now.  How many 4th down plays did the coaches decide to go for it?  From where I was sitting, while analytics plays into it, there were just too many times the team did not kick in obvious kicking situations.

31 minutes ago, Procus said:

What's with the kicker?  Looks like the coaching staff doesn't have a lot of confidence in him right now.  How many 4th down plays did the coaches decide to go for it?  From where I was sitting, while analytics plays into it, there were just too many times the team did not kick in obvious kicking situations.

You need to find a different place to sit.  This team is all about analytics.  The possibility of six outweighs the likelihood of three.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/liamfox/2021/08/12/how-the-nfl-uses-analytics-according-to-the-lead-analyst-of-a-super-bowl-champion/?sh=2418f93e424e

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I don't like taking 1 point off the board in order to chase after 2. It worked out this time but I've seen too many occasions when an early missed extra point can come back and bite them in the rear later at the end of games. Coach is going to follow whatever the analytics say though so we've got to live with stuff like that. 

9 minutes ago, mr_irie1 said:

I don't like taking 1 point off the board in order to chase after 2. It worked out this time but I've seen too many occasions when an early missed extra point can come back and bite them in the rear later at the end of games. Coach is going to follow whatever the analytics say though so we've got to live with stuff like that. 

You do realize we won a Super Bowl with that mindset right?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, b_west3 said:

Yep sure do. I generally like playing aggressive. Just not a fan of taking a guaranteed point off when it's not necessary. It's not big deal either way though tbh. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

Often times, I’m not either, but I get it in that instance. We were leading by 1 and the TD alone puts us up by a standard 7 point TD. Going for two from the 1 gives us a two score lead if converted. 

• Like 2

The only time it bothered me was when it would've put us up 25 to 6 (I believe) and made it a three score game essentially ending the game right then. 

5 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

I was OK with that.  Sends a message to the team you have full confidence in them.  They convert and it helps those players build confidence in themselves.  I was also OK going for it on the first 4th down but because of where we were on the field feel we should have kicked the FG on the next 4th down.  There was really no need to go for it then. There needs to be a balance between smart decision making to take points when you can and instilling confidence.  

• Like 2

I like the confidence Sirianni has in the offense. Yeah, I suppose it backfires if they get stopped on 4th down with no points. But then there's a long field for the defense to defend. And even a boost to the offense the next time they get the ball, that coach trusts them so much. Like others said, the Eagles won a Super Bowl by being aggressive on 4th down.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, toolg said:

I like the confidence Sirianni has in the offense. Yeah, I suppose it backfires if they get stopped on 4th down with no points. But then there's a long field for the defense to defend. And even a boost to the offense the next time they get the ball, that coach trusts them so much. Like others said, the Eagles won a Super Bowl by being aggressive on 4th down.

I guess the flip side to this is that if the FG attempt is low percentage, a failed 4th down conversion gives the other team worse field position than a missed FG in practically all instances.

13 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

Yep sure do. I generally like playing aggressive. Just not a fan of taking a guaranteed point off when it's not necessary. It's not big deal either way though tbh. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That is the issue with hindsight, when it works then great, when it doesn't then F.

Analytics should take into consideration the chances of winning with or without the FG, so one should always follow the stats. The process shouldn't be as rudimentary as saying if you are in the 30 and less than 5 yards you should go for it. It should take into consideration a large number of other factors i.e. time left, scores, team conversion rate, other team chance of scoring, etc. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Procus said:

I wonder if he is still dealing with whatever injury kept him from playing in the preseason games.  

13 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SWEET!!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I wonder if he is still dealing with whatever injury kept him from playing in the preseason games.  

I saw on my twitter feed that he was perfect in practice, so hopefully all of this is just analytics

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

The numbers would disagree with you.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Often times, I’m not either, but I get it in that instance. We were leading by 1 and the TD alone puts us up by a standard 7 point TD. Going for two from the 1 gives us a two score lead if converted. 

I agree w the logic of making it a 2 score game, but wasn't there a penalty that put us at the 1?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

I agree w the logic of making it a 2 score game, but wasn't there a penalty that put us at the 1?

Indeed there was!

6 hours ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Yes. That’s part of the dilemma being discussed. You already have the PAT on the board. Do you then take it off the board to go for two from the 1 yard line after the penalty is enforced?

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Yes. That’s part of the dilemma being discussed. You already have the PAT on the board. Do you then take it off the board to go for two from the 1 yard line after the penalty is enforced?

Gotcha 👌

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 1:27 AM, b_west3 said:

You do realize that team was special, right?

11 hours ago, greend said:

You do realize that team was special, right?

You do realize that aggressiveness is part of what makes a team special, right?

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2021 at 1:17 AM, mr_irie1 said:

They had the ball at the 1 yard line against a team who couldn’t stop the run and was completely outmanned in the trenches. They were going to convert >50% of the time. Therefore, it was a no brainer.

The impressive part, though, was how prepared Sirianni and the offense were when the time came. This was obviously something that was discussed prior to the opportunity.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, b_west3 said:

You do realize that aggressiveness is part of what makes a team special, right?

No it isn't it's talent. People that suck can be as aggressive as they want they won't convert. You have to take your talent level into account. 

On 9/15/2021 at 3:04 PM, time2rock said:

But didn’t his kick-offs reach the back of the end zone much if the game or am I mis- remembering?