Wallace rips refs for iffy call that cost Eagles fumble

time2rock

Wallace rips refs for iffy call that cost Eagles fumble

Lost in the roller coaster fourth quarter of Sunday's Eagles loss, a frustrating afternoon for Birds fans everywhere, was an iffy final 15 minutes of refereeing.

The Derek Barnett penalty was an obvious call, but there were some questionable misses from the zebras (delay of game on the game-sealing play, anyone?) that might've cost the Eagles a shot at a win.

One in particular, the personal foul call on the fourth quarter K'Von Wallace hit on 49ers running back Trey Sermon which caused what could've been a game-changing fumble, was extremely borderline - and Wallace was still fuming about the hit with the game in the rearview.

Wallace took to his Instagram stories on Sunday night to get his thoughts on the hit out in the open:

hermann.JPG.24d45248502ba7936ee282538aef3ec5.JPG

And if the text is a little obscured by the Instagram UI, here's what Wallace wrote:

"Worst call I've ever been apart [sic] of can't believe. Literally in disbelief"

When you re-watch the play, it's hard to blame him for the anger. Wallace is coming in low, likely going for a wrap-up tackle around Sermon's legs, when Sermon is hit by another Eagle and suddenly his head is pointed towards the ground... and Wallace's head: (NOTE click on link to full article to view video)

There's only so much you can do in that situation. If Sermon isn't jarred by another defender and Wallace is able to make the tackle he wanted to make, it's just a good tackle. I know what the referees saw on replay, but they should be able to parse the difference between targeting the head and incidentally meeting a helmet that wasn't supposed to be there.

Eagles legend Chris Long didn't like the call, nor did he appreciate NFL rules analyst Dean Blandino trying to explain away the crew's decision:

hermann2.JPG.15ddfe05c9012c02bbcd86a866d9c2cc.JPG

After the game, Nick Sirianni said the Eagles just have to trust that the referees make the right calls, but the coaching staff would look at the tape and make their own evaluations.

I'll be very interested to see if Sirianni's changed his tune during his day-after press conference Monday. I'd imagine at least one of his players is probably hoping for his coach's backing.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-kvon-wallace-rips-referees-call-trey-sermon-hit?cid=sm_npd_rsn_phi_fb_mn&fbclid=IwAR04pSqG-gljMLDOZA38GRp0ZYWmZ6TCQteG4NJ5Ulmk2uoGFUUzd2RBGjA

If you have to blame the referees, you didn't make the plays you should have, like Reagor staying in bounds. There were others as well. Time to focus on Dallas.

• Like 3

Yea there were some garbage calls and missed calls. But it shouldn't have came to that. We shouldn't require refs to change the game in any way. The hit was close, but I totally agree, should have been a none call. The missed delay of game was no question a missed call. But like I said. It shouldn't have came to that. The D played amazing, and our O was a huge disappointment. This game should have been over at the half if the O put up points.

I mean look... I think it was a harsh call but the contact did force the fumble and so I'm not really sure what the officials could have done there? 

On 9/22/2021 at 6:13 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean look... I think it was a harsh call but the contact did force the fumble and so I'm not really sure what the officials could have done there? 

Applied the rule correctly and not thrown the flag?

6 hours ago, Kz! said:

Applied the rule correctly and not thrown the flag?

But the contact forces the fumble so that was always going to be reversed.

I think they only threw the flag b/c Sermon fumbled and couldn't get up on the play. Wallace went low like he was supposed to and Sermon ducked down into the contact. Eagles still might not have won but that was a bogus call that officially closed the door on any chance of a potential comeback. 

On 9/24/2021 at 9:15 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But the contact forces the fumble so that was always going to be reversed.

The only reason the contact causing the fumble is an issue is because it was called as a personal foul, if it's not a personal foul the fumble stands and it's Eagles ball, if they make the right call the Eagles have the ball.

6 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The only reason the contact causing the fumble is an issue is because it was called as a personal foul, if it's not a personal foul the fumble stands and it's Eagles ball, if they make the right call the Eagles have the ball.

I think it's a tricky one to be honest with you. 

On 9/21/2021 at 9:56 AM, PoconoDon said:

If you have to blame the referees, you didn't make the plays you should have, like Reagor staying in bounds. There were others as well. Time to focus on Dallas.

Eh that’s true to an extent but horrible calls make a big difference in a tight game. I get what you’re saying but I think that’s too simplified a view of it.

Regarding the Reagor play, I’m surprised that using your body to push a receiver out of bounds is even allowed considering the ticky-tack "illegal contact” calls we constantly see. Not making excuses for him there he needs to be more aware and not let it happen, just pointing out that the rules are inconsistent regarding contact.