If you're Browns, would you pay Baker Mayfield?

gameshowfan91

I believe US labor laws forbid not paying him as long as he remains employed by the team.

• Haha 1

I don't think i would. He's going to want a very very good deal and I'm not sure he's a very very good QB. But hey he's not bad either and in the NFL you either have your QB or you don't. If they don't pay him they don't have a QB.

Yes. Pay his paycheck. He's earned his salary.

But should he get a huge extension? The Browns have turned themselves into a juggernaut where they don't need a game-breaking QB. They need a guy who can complement their weapons and protect the ball. Mayfield is good enough for now. I think the Browns have to pay his option through next season, then they make a decision. Is Baker the future of the franchise, or can they win with any decent QB in FA/draft?  This could help Baker too because he can add to his resume, making his plea for a bigger contract.

All I know is, they don’t pay him enough for those At Home With Baker Mayfield commercials.  Plus I think it’s sweet they include his mom in them

• Like 1

74% passer

102 rating

only 2 TDs though to match his 2 INTs

On pace for 4800 yards

Last years stat line

26td  
int   95.9

Puts him in the Tannehill/Carr level of QB's.  He should get paid tier 2 QB money, but will likely get top 5 Money. 

• Like 1

Basically any serviceable QB no matter how great would get top 5 money. He is serviceable, Browns are a dominating force, they probably should capitalize on that while it is still intact.

On 9/26/2021 at 5:31 PM, gameshowfan91 said:

Would you?

OK, since you're a game show fan there are three doors:

Door #1) Extend him, pay him whatever he wants, maybe top-5 money.  I think Howie showed that even if you pay a guy that you can trade him and make the money work.  Not the end of the world if you pay him and he doesn't work out well.  

Door #2) Play out his rookie contract and then move forward.  Not a bad plan, but who's the QB then?  Lots of QB needy teams out there and there's not a lot of starting caliber QBs.  

Door #3) "Kirk Cousins" - don't pay him.  Franchise him for a few years, then eventually move on.  Kind of like QB purgatory, but not bad if you aren't convinced and you want to push it down the road a few years.

What door do you pick?  

1 minute ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

OK, since you're a game show fan there are three doors:

Door #1) Extend him, pay him whatever he wants, maybe top-5 money.  I think Howie showed that even if you pay a guy that you can trade him and make the money work.  Not the end of the world if you pay him and he doesn't work out well.  

Door #2) Play out his rookie contract and then move forward.  Not a bad plan, but who's the QB then?  Lots of QB needy teams out there and there's not a lot of starting caliber QBs.  

Door #3) "Kirk Cousins" - don't pay him.  Franchise him for a few years, then eventually move on.  Kind of like QB purgatory, but not bad if you aren't convinced and you want to push it down the road a few years.

What door do you pick?  

3 because he is a Kirk Cousins type QB... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, What The F said:

I mean Kirk Coupons should never have been given the tag... If ever there was a QB unworthy of the tag it is him. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, What The F said:

Can't believe teams are still allowed do that, TBH. 

If you actually plan to replace your QB it's not a terrible option.  Franchise tag for a few years, develop the backup, move on!

• Like 1

The Browns look like they have finally righted the ship with hiring of Stefansky.  Mayfield had a good year last year and Stefansky uses the run game well.

So, from an organizational standpoint, they have a QB who is not being asked to do it all, and with Mayfield and Stefansky, the Browns are 14-6 with a playoff win over their hated rival, the steelers.  

Is it worth it for the Browns to go back to QB hell, trying to find the "next guy"......especially after they struggled for YEARS trying to find a QB for 20+ years?  What is the value of having a good QB that is productive and the team wins under him?  Mayfield can make his case better if they get to the playoffs again and makes a hard run for a super bowl.

Should the Browns pay him?  They have this year and next to evaluate him more.....but if Mayfield gets them to the playoffs and either makes a deep run or wins a super bowl, yes, they should pay him.....If they stumble into the playoffs and lose early, then the Browns should take all next year to consider his extension.

No, I'd just continue to  allow him to remain an unpaid volunteer worker.

I don't think you pay Mayfield to do what other QBs can do. The Browns want to run the ball, control possession and then they ask Mayfield to boot leg and push the ball down field.

I'm not saying any QB could do it but I don't think you pay him top $ to do that. 

We don’t have a QB and I don’t want Mayfield. Lmao