Books

Seventy_Yard_FG

Recommend good books.  Especially what I am looking for are books that will eventually be epic movies or TV shows.  I would have liked to know about A Song of Ice and Fire back in the 90s or whenever he wrote that.

The Hail Mary Project by Andy Weir. While I heard raves about his previous book The Martian and I enjoyed the movie, I never intended to read the novel. Now i'll go back and read it because of how well written Hail Mary Project was. 

And as always, Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

Netflix has acquired John Scalzi's modern sci-fi classic Old Man's War to develop as an original film. The novel is the first in a bestselling six-book series and is considered to be one of the best of the genre over the past two decades, nominated for a Hugo Award.

• Like 2

Brandon Sanderson Stormlight Archive series. Starts with The Way of Kings and will end up 10 books. 4th book was just ok, but first 3 are amazing and he writes quickly. releasing multiple books a year at times. 

For more action based Red Rising series. 5 books so far and action packed, bloody as hell and exciting. Quick reads and just a really good series. First book is a little YAish, but I promise it is only first part of that book, the rest of the series is definitely child appropriate

On 9/28/2021 at 7:57 AM, wholesale_Melvin said:

The Hail Mary Project by Andy Weir. While I heard raves about his previous book The Martian and I enjoyed the movie, I never intended to read the novel. Now i'll go back and read it because of how well written Hail Mary Project was. 

Netflix has acquired John Scalzi's modern sci-fi classic Old Man's War to develop as an original film. The novel is the first in a bestselling six-book series and is considered to be one of the best of the genre over the past two decades, nominated for a Hugo Award.

All 3 of Weir's books have been great reads.  I know they're making HMP into a movie, not sure if Artemis is (yet).

Will look up Old Man's War and give it a shot.

• Like 1

If you are a history buff, I'm currently addicted to Harry Turtledove's Southern Victory series. Its an alternate history where the south wins the civil war. I'm currently in the WW2 period of history where The Germans and Americans defeated the French, English and Confederates. The CSA is becoming like NSDAP Germany in the aftermath of WW1. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Victory

• Like 1

Turtledove just pumps out books on a daily basis it seems.  I read his series on an Alien Invasion that happens just as WWII is starting and liked it a lot.  I tried starting the Southern Victory series a few years ago but just didn't get into it.  There's a good chance that maybe I had picked up a book that was a little deeper into the series as I kinda remember it being a bit hard to follow.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gern Blanston said:

Turtledove just pumps out books on a daily basis it seems.  I read his series on an Alien Invasion that happens just as WWII is starting and liked it a lot.  I tried starting the Southern Victory series a few years ago but just didn't get into it.  There's a good chance that maybe I had picked up a book that was a little deeper into the series as I kinda remember it being a bit hard to follow.

I'm doing the alien invasion series next. Currently on "A return engagement" which is really good. 

The First Law trilogy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Law

The Kingkiller Chronicle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingkiller_Chronicle

Kingkiller story is already being adapted for a GOT type HBO series with Lin Manuel Miranda doing the music for it...He stated 2 of the songs in Hamilton were directly inspired by Kovothe, the stories protagonist. 

And Sam Raimi is directing the motion picture based on the first book.

1 hour ago, jrsu37 said:

The First Law trilogy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Law

The Kingkiller Chronicle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingkiller_Chronicle

Kingkiller story is already being adapted for a GOT type HBO series with Lin Manuel Miranda doing the music for it...He stated 2 of the songs in Hamilton were directly inspired by Kovothe, the stories protagonist. 

And Sam Raimi is directing the motion picture based on the first book.

100% to first law.  Love it and subsequent series  

F Rothfuss and KingKiller. It will never get finished 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, homerpat said:

100% to first law.  Love it and subsequent series  

F Rothfuss and KingKiller. It will never get finished 

I've only read the first 3 of FL. I'll check out the others.

As for Rothfuss, I agree, but the first two books are so, so, so good. I'm still holding out hope he finishes them eventually.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jrsu37 said:

I've only read the first 3 of FL. I'll check out the others.

As for Rothfuss, I agree, but the first two books are so, so, so good. I'm still holding out hope he finishes them eventually.

Totally agree even if the novella was pretty weak, the first two were amazing. 

I know no author owes fans anything, but I also just can’t understand why Rothfuss and Martin just up and quit. I really have just resigned myself to knowing I’ll never read it and I’m at peace with that

• Like 1

see if anyone can ID this sci-fi story my father used to read to us:

Alien diplomatic party arrive at earth to request earth's assistance in fighting a far off battle. the arrive on earth to disserted cities and find no civilization other than these massive ground covers. they realize earth lives underground now and after earth's leaders agree to help with the war, the aliens leave in their ships to go back to their world. after traveling for a little while they question why earth's fleet isn't following them. they radio earth and ask where the fleet is, earth responds ''right behind you''. the aliens then notice their ship's distance from earth doesn't seem to match up to the time they've traveled before understanding Earth itself is the battleship. and earth even brings the moon along.

On 9/27/2021 at 6:02 PM, Seventy_Yard_FG said:

Recommend good books.  Especially what I am looking for are books that will eventually be epic movies or TV shows.  I would have liked to know about A Song of Ice and Fire back in the 90s or whenever he wrote that.

Then you would have been waiting a full 30 years for a conclusion to the story instead of just 10ish.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 2:08 PM, homerpat said:

Brandon Sanderson Stormlight Archive series. Starts with The Way of Kings and will end up 10 books. 4th book was just ok, but first 3 are amazing and he writes quickly. releasing multiple books a year at times. 

For more action based Red Rising series. 5 books so far and action packed, bloody as hell and exciting. Quick reads and just a really good series. First book is a little YAish, but I promise it is only first part of that book, the rest of the series is definitely child appropriate

The Mistborn Trilogy from Sanderson is pretty good also.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kz! said:

Then you would have been waiting a full 30 years for a conclusion to the story instead of just 10ish.

Such is life

I’ve been on a Witcher kick lately. Love the show, played thru some of witcher 3 & really enjoyed it. Think next I’m going to get the Witcher books and read thru that series. I’ve heard great things about them and enjoyed interviews from the author.

Not really a recommendation I guess, just because I haven’t read it so I couldn’t tell you if it’s good in my opinion. But has positive reviews, and if you’re into fantasy series this could be a potentially good one to check out

• 3 months later...
On 9/28/2021 at 7:57 AM, wholesale_Melvin said:

So I stumbled on A.G. Riddle's "Winter World" on Amazon Unlimited - figured what the hell its free, I'll give it a shot, its the first book in a series of 3.  I'm wrapping up the second book, "The Solar War" right now and really like it. If you liked Hail Mary Project, you'll dig it.  Basically Earth discovers that the Sun is fading, and the narrative alternates between a scientist/doctor and an astronaut involved with figuring out why and then dealing with the problem.  Already have the 3rd book "The Lost Colony" queued up...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Toty said:

What do I win?

You owe me a Dos XX at Alamo Cafe

513NNRRTN2L._SX276_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

amazing. i'm assuming the short With Friends Like These... is the story i'm looking for. Thanks. 

and they serve yuengling here now.

2 minutes ago, Toty said:

yeah... seems to be the name of the anthology and also a story within 

:lol: I know, and hear people are loving it

I get Shiner every time I'm back

my response probably didn't do justice to the gratitude, i don't know how you found it but it matches (found descriptions in reviews of the book) .

oh snap !!!

i'm going to order Friends like these.... &  the man who folded himself (best time travel book ever and a close bond to my father) soon. I have to have physical copies. 

ie. old man's war i have gone through about as many copies as my cassettes for Journey: Captured

1 hour ago, Toty said:

I prefer physical books as well but for various reasons I've been sticking to screen reading lately. The scanned pdfs of older books on Archive are a little more readable to me than kindle or web texts. That kind of splits the difference for me.

Finished Friends this morning... clever, enjoyable read.

then if you haven't already, get into anything John Scalzi.

• 1 year later...

So trying to break record and read over 60 books this year. Was becoming a problem with finding decent stuff to read, but caught wind of a site where authors release a few chapters a week and compile old stuff into books. The books are all fantasy and based on video game rpg style. I know it sounds weird, but up to date now on two series 10 books each 

He Who Fights with Monsters

and 

Defiance of the Fall

Basically fish out of water guys transferred into different universes where they have to build gains to become powerful and their journey. Sometimes the guys are a little too Mary Sue in both, but both outstanding series and up there with some of my favorites. I definitely recommend to any fantasy fans out there.  

90 days on the saddle is a classic, 

author: chief raw balls