time2rock

Time

Posted: September 30th, 2021 | Author: Tommy Lawlor

My grandmother used to have a magnet on her refrigerator that read "Lord give me patience. And I want it right now!” I thought about that on the drive home from work recently. Eagles fans want answers. Is Nick Sirianni the right guy? Is Jalen Hurts the right guy? What should we make of this team?

I don’t have any answers. No one does. It is way too soon to truly know anything.

You might think you know Sirianni will succeed or fail. You might think you know Hurts isn’t the guy. NFL history says that we need to let things play out.

Bill Walsh looked like a disaster for a couple of years. Jimmy Johnson started 0-11 and was 1-15 in his first year. That was a different era to be sure, but you still get the point. They looked way in over their heads in the beginning.

Do you remember Brian Flores start? He took over the Dolphins in 2019 and it was ugly.

L 59-10
L 43-0
L 31-6
L 30-10

Yikes.

Miami had a bye week. They lost the next three games, but were actually competitive. After the 0-7 start, they went 5-4 down the stretch. Last year they went 10-6. Brian Flores has shown that he’s a really talented coach. But that is one of the ugliest first months on the job that I can remember.

Sirianni has never been a head coach before. He is learning on the job. There are going to be some mistakes. There are going to be times when he looks like a terrible hire. Over time, we’ll see if those go away and there is more good than bad.

I’m not arguing that Sirianni is definitely The Guy. We just don’t know. Instead of obsessing on every game and every call as if this is Andy Reid in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl in 2004, embrace the unknown. Let’s find out if this is the guy.

This is a year of learning.

The Eagles schedule is tough. There is a possibility this team could be looking at 1-6, especially if injuries keep coming. In a way, 1-6 might be a good thing. That would really test Sirianni. Does he have the ability to keep his players focused? Does he truly believe in his assistants? Does he truly believe in his schemes?

Some people panic when things go wrong. Those guys aren’t going to succeed in the NFL. This is a brutally hard business. You must have thick skin and you must be able to stick with the people and ideas you believe in, even if the scoreboard or standings tell you otherwise.

Back in 2003 the Eagles started 0-2 and looked bad. They put up 10 points combined in those games. Andy Reid started getting a lot of heat and tough questions. I remember someone on the EMB begging for the Eagles to trade for a big RB and to commit to the run. Enough of Reid’s passing game. Thankfully, Reid didn’t read the EMB and stuck with his ideas. The Eagles were in the NFC title game that year and the Super Bowl the next year.

One of the hot questions now is what is the Eagles offensive identity. I don’t know. We’re only three games in so it would be hard to say anything no matter what. Sirianni is learning about his players. He will have to take his basic ideas and mold them to his players.

I do get frustrated with a lot of coaches these days because they all want to be multiple. That can be smart, but I believe you do need core concepts to build off.

Sirianni’s ideas might look better if Hurts executed them better. Jalen has been very up and down to start this season. Still, he has shown that he has a pretty good floor. As flawed as he was on Monday night, he still threw for 326 yards and a pair of TDs. We have seen some bad performances from young QBs over the years.

In Week 3 of his second season, Donovan McNabb was 15-31-118 with no TDs and 1 INT. The Eagles lost 6-3.

In Week 7 of his second season, Nick Foles went 11-29-80 with no TDs or INTs before getting knocked out of the game. The Eagles lost 17-3 and the points came very late.

We might see a game like that from Hurts, but as inconsistent as he’s been, Hurts has shown the ability to make plays and get the offense to do something.

The problem with Hurts is that we don’t know what his ceiling is. While he played well in the opener, that was a bunch of short, quick throws. You can’t count on those working, as we’ve seen the past two weeks. Hurts has to show that he can function from the pocket and play well on a consistent basis. He might not be able to do that. Again, we need to see how things play out.

McNabb wasn’t a gifted passer in 2000, but he carried the Eagles offense on his back and was impressive enough to finish 2nd in MVP voting that year.

Foles got back on the field in 2013 and lit it up, finishing with one of the highest QB ratings in history. His 7-TD game came that year.

Those young players got better as the year went along and both led the Eagles to the playoffs.

Sirianni and Hurts need time to figure each other out and to show us what they can do. There are going to be some tough moments as we watch them learn on the fly. Hopefully there will be some good ones as well.

Being patient isn’t any fun. We all want answers now. My advice is to lower your expectations and to try to embrace the year of learning.

Or buy a lot of alcohol.

http://igglesblitz.com/2021/09/time/

• Like 1

Bill Walsh drafted Joe Montana. 

Jimmy Johnson drafted Troy Aikman.

The upcoming draft looks weak at QB, so if Hurts isn't the guy, then "the guy" is at least 2 years away, and maybe more for Sirianni.

30 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

The upcoming draft looks weak at QB, so if Hurts isn't the guy, then "the guy" is at least 2 years away, and maybe more for Sirianni.

Joe Montana's 1st 8 games he went 2-6, his completion percentage ranged from barely breaking 40% to 77% and pretty much all points in between

Troy Aikmans first 2 years he went 7-19, with 55% completion, 20 TD's and 36 Picks.

If Nick Sirianni had drafted Troy Aikman or Joe Montana in this years draft, we'd still have a board full of this guy can't do it.

I AM NOT SAYING JALEN HURTS IS GOING TO BE AS GOOD AS TROY AIKMAN OR JOE MONTANA, I'M SAYING IT'S TOO EARLY TO SAY WHAT HE IS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

I agree the 2022 QB looks weak.  If by season’s end it looks like Hurts isn’t the guy going forward, they can always get an extended look at Minshew next year and if he isn’t the guy look for someone in the 2023 draft.  Maybe at that point Howie tries to trade back to move one of our 1sts to 2023 to be in position to move up for a QB (picking up a 2022 later 1st and a 2nd in the process).

• Like 1

Running only 3 times to me is a sign of incompetence.  Something not mentioned in that same breathe is we did not use pre snap motion on any play in the game.  This shows lack of knowledge, inability to design plays, no understand the necessity of creating space that others fill, a key component of moving a ball into an offensive zone in any sport.  It is way early and i usually like to give it some time, but this guy has all the looks of a fraud.  Someone who is likeable with good political Dilbert skills, who knows very little about pro football.  From the team's total lack of juice, maybe the locker room already feels this way.  I think this guy is a disaster and he'll be gone by January.  As no one else i the league wants the job due to Lurie Howie meddling, we'll have to hire an older coordinator looking to fund a cushy retirement that a 20 mil guaranteed contract can offer.  Or a 2nd level college coach.

38 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Joe Montana's 1st 8 games he went 2-6, his completion percentage ranged from barely breaking 40% to 77% and pretty much all points in between

Troy Aikmans first 2 years he went 7-19, with 55% completion, 20 TD's and 36 Picks.

If Nick Sirianni had drafted Troy Aikman or Joe Montana in this years draft, we'd still have a board full of this guy can't do it.

I AM NOT SAYING JALEN HURTS IS GOING TO BE AS GOOD AS TROY AIKMAN OR JOE MONTANA, I'M SAYING IT'S TOO EARLY TO SAY WHAT HE IS.

What both of those QB's demonstrated was superior accuracy. To me that's the #1 attribute a QB needs because of what is connected to it. I can't tell from the outside if, based on play call and coverage that I can't know, an inaccurate passer is making the right decisions. All I see is him throwing into coverage and it looks bad. I can tell that when a QB is consistently putting the ball where it needs to be on time and on target at whatever distance is required in the moment, that his decision making is good. When a QB is dropping dimes around 20 times a game, I know he can be the long term guy. If a guy is regularly missing easy throws for no good reason, I know he's not.

Now, it's important to give a young guy a full season to find out between his body of work in college, resume' and interviews, practices, and games if he's got it or not. My concern is that if Hurts is not the long term guy because he's too inaccurate, the 2022 draft class doesn't look like it has the answer. Again, it's early, but it's trending that way. Maybe the draft does offer a great QB who is hidden away right now. The 2 best in the modern era were underestimated and none more than Brady.

Maybe Hurts will prove to be the guy. It is too early to definitively say one way or the other, but so far, his being the guy is not self evident. We'll see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I agree the 2022 QB looks weak.  If by season’s end it looks like Hurts isn’t the guy going forward, they can always get an extended look at Minshew next year and if he isn’t the guy look for someone in the 2023 draft.  Maybe at that point Howie tries to trade back to move one of our 1sts to 2023 to be in position to move up for a QB (picking up a 2022 later 1st and a 2nd in the process).

There's always an outside chance that a terrific QB is hidden in there somewhere, but it's an outside chance, not something to bank on. Part of acquiring a true 10-15 year franchise QB through the draft is tracking them all from HS through college, identifying the "guy" and flexibly targeting him in the year you expect him to come out.

The Eagles have 2 and maybe 3 first round picks for 2022. If the next "guy" is expected to come out in 2025, then target him there. Do what you must now through asset building to get him there and be ready to get him a year early or later depending on circumstances.

Teams do it all the time and the Eagles should too. The Cowboys did it for Aikman, the Colts for Luck, the Bengals for Burrows, the Jags for Lawrence, and on and on and on it goes with many others. Do it, so that barring catastrophe, you get one for 10-15 years instead of hoping for miracles with a bottom tier QB1 or a QB2 as your starter. To me, the sign  of a great franchise is one who solves the biggest problem in excellent fashion. This Owner wants to throw the ball all day then his franchise needs a great QB. Getting one may take a few years but that's no reason not to.

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

What both of those QB's demonstrated was superior accuracy. To me that's the #1 attribute a QB needs because of what is connected to it. I can't tell from the outside if, based on play call and coverage that I can't know, an inaccurate passer is making the right decisions. All I see is him throwing into coverage and it looks bad. I can tell that when a QB is consistently putting the ball where it needs to be on time and on target at whatever distance is required in the moment, that his decision making is good. When a QB is dropping dimes around 20 times a game, I know he can be the long term guy. If a guy is regularly missing easy throws for no good reason, I know he's not.

Now, it's important to give a young guy a full season to find out between his body of work in college, resume' and interviews, practices, and games if he's got it or not. My concern is that if Hurts is not the long term guy because he's too inaccurate, the 2022 draft class doesn't look like it has the answer. Again, it's early, but it's trending that way. Maybe the draft does offer a great QB who is hidden away right now. The 2 best in the modern era were underestimated and none more than Brady.

Maybe Hurts will prove to be the guy. It is too early to definitively say one way or the other, but so far, his being the guy is not self evident. We'll see.

More and more college teams are going dual threat guy and for every Wilson, Jackson, Watson or Murray, there's a Dwayne Haskins or Deshone Kizer (who I thought had all the tools to be a decent quarterback and he went nowhere).

One I think might be worth keeping an eye on for the draft but probably in 2023 is Brad Johnson's kid at LSU, he's a pure pocket guy, an absolute unit physically and he's looked better every time I've seen him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Joe Montana was drafted in the third round, as was Russell Wilson.  Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round.  While the odds are stacked against the Eagles finding a QB even remotely close to these are very slim, you never know.

36 minutes ago, Procus said:

Joe Montana was drafted in the third round, as was Russell Wilson.  Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round.  While the odds are stacked against the Eagles finding a QB even remotely close to these are very slim, you never know.

That's my point exactly. It's about targeting the right guy and being prepared in case another needy team figures it out too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

More and more college teams are going dual threat guy and for every Wilson, Jackson, Watson or Murray, there's a Dwayne Haskins or Deshone Kizer (who I thought had all the tools to be a decent quarterback and he went nowhere).

One I think might be worth keeping an eye on for the draft but probably in 2023 is Brad Johnson's kid at LSU, he's a pure pocket guy, an absolute unit physically and he's looked better every time I've seen him.

I want consistent off the charts accuracy and a indefatigable will to win. Give me that guy, and unless he's made of glass, the rest will come...and by the rest I mean some Lombardi trophies.

4 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I am sure Aikman and Montana did not horribly underthrow deep passes repeatedly, and refuse to throw to the middle of the field.

Was also a different game, when DB's got away with borderline criminal assault covering WR's.  

18 hours ago, downundermike said:

I am sure Aikman and Montana did not horribly underthrow deep passes repeatedly, and refuse to throw to the middle of the field.

Was also a different game, when DB's got away with borderline criminal assault covering WR's.  

Yeah look at those stats, they were obviously throwing lasers all over the field, the refs cheated them.

Honestly, do you ever think about what you write? Again you were defending Wentz a full five years into his career when he was playing like he'd lost the sight in one eye. So spare me your QB 'analysis' of a kid in his first seven starts.