Status of Eagles' Watson trade pursuit takes a big turn: report

time2rock

Status of Eagles' Watson trade pursuit takes a big turn: report

We're just three weeks into the 2021 NFL regular season, but already the trade winds are blowing around the most talked-about player in the league... who isn't even playing.

Deshaun Watson, the Houston Texans quarterback who is still facing more than 20 allegations of sexual assault and harassment, is on the Texans' roster but has not played a snap, and barring something unexpected likely will not play a snap this year. 

The Eagles, in the wake of the Carson Wentz debacle, surfaced as one of the teams around the league with an interest in trading for Watson as their next franchise QB. He's young, he's elite, and he wants out of Houston, while the Eagles have a bevy of draft picks to trade. From a football-only perspective, it makes perfect sense. But right now, the football-only perspective isn't terribly important.

Now, as buzz around Watson kicks back up with the trade deadline a little over a month away, FOX Sports' NFL insider Jay Glazer - one of the most privy-to-backroom-chatter reporters in the football world - is shooting down the idea of the Eagles still being in the Watson trade race.

Glazer reported, twice, on Thursday night that the Eagles are not currently in pursuit of a Watson trade:

hermann.JPG.1c5fc0c8baf9e13745d8eabf5a94ad25.JPG

That's good news.

The question of whether the Eagles can afford to acquire Watson (they likely can) is one thing; the question of whether they should is another entirely. Even if the legal system ends up protecting Watson and he serves what will likely be a relatively minor punishment from the NFL, the idea of adding someone who allegedly serially harassed and assaulted women over his time in Houston isn't going to sit well with a good chunk of the Eagles' fanbase. 

It's unfortunate that the Eagles were even tied to the Watson trade race in the first place, considering their reported interest in the QB didn't emerge until after the allegations were brought against Watson.

And the fact that the Eagles' top decision-makers reportedly gave pursuit of Watson "the green light" at one point or another, even if that turns out to have been old information, is disappointing.

It doesn't matter how Jalen Hurts plays, now or in October. There are plenty of solutions for the future of the Eagles' quarterback room - a different trade; a trade up in next year's draft; another year of Hurts while they wait for the right guy - and none of them should include Watson.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-rumors-eagles-shift-their-deshaun-watson-trade-pursuit-report

Trading for Watson because you like how his play looks, is like complimenting the view while jumping off a cliff. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Trading for Watson because you like how his play looks, is like complimenting the view while jumping off a cliff. 

Trading for Watson would be such a mistake on so many levels. 

Is he better than Hurts? Sure, is he THAT much better than Hurts. I don’t think so. At least not worth giving up a ton of draft picks to get him. I think if you develop Hurts, he can become a Watson-type player. Watson came into the league with a ton of weapons, weapons that Hurts does not have. Can you imagine Hurts throwing to Hopkins in his prime? How about a deep threat like Will Fuller? Then you have the whole sexual assault issue. Do you really want that circus in this day and age of woke-ism. 

If Watson was QB of this team they would still be 1-3 maybe 2-2 at best. This team has a ton of holes to fill. Keep the draft picks and see what you can do with Hurts.

7 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Is he better than Hurts? Sure, is he THAT much better than Hurts. I don’t think so

I mean I think he probably is and I'm a big Hurts fan. Watson is a true franchise QB on the field whereas right now we don't know if Hurts is or not... Chances are he's not going to be a franchise QB but we shall see. 

15 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean I think he probably is and I'm a big Hurts fan. Watson is a true franchise QB on the field whereas right now we don't know if Hurts is or not... Chances are he's not going to be a franchise QB but we shall see. 

These are Watson’s stats from his rookie year. Very similar to Hurts. 

WK DATE OPP RESULT GS PAATT PACMP PAYD PATD PAINT RATE SACKED YLS RUATT RUYD RUAVG RULG RUTD FL FPTS
1 09/10 JAC L 29-7 No 23 12 102 1 1 60.4 4 0 2 16 8.00 9 0 1 7
2 09/14 @CIN W 13-9 Yes 24 15 125 0 0 75.9 3 0 5 67 13.40 49 1 0 17
3 09/24 @NE L 36-33 Yes 33 22 301 2 2 90.6 2 0 8 41 5.12 7 0 0 24
4 10/01 TEN W 57-14 Yes 34 25 283 4 1 125.0 1 0 4 24 6.00 10 1 0 41
5 10/08 KC L 42-34 Yes 31 16 261 5 0 119.8 3 0 3 31 10.33 16 0 0 45
6 10/15 CLE W 33-17 Yes 29 17 225 3 1 103.4 1 0 6 23 3.83 9 0 0 29
7 BYE - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
8 10/29 @SEA L 41-38 Yes 30 19 402 4 3 106.9 5 0 8 67 8.38 18 0 0