How to solve Eagles' No. 25 jersey retirement problem

time2rock

How to solve Eagles' No. 25 jersey retirement problem

LeSean McCoy signed a one-day contract to retire as a Philadelphia Eagle last Friday. He ends his career as the team’s all-time leading leader in rushing yards (6,792) and yards per carry (4.6).

NBC Sports Philadelphia's resident Pro Football Hall of Famer, Ray Didinger, had a brilliant idea with regard to Shady’s No. 25 jersey: not only should the team retire it for McCoy, but also for it’s greatest-ever receiver, Tommy McDonald, who also happened to wear No. 25.

Amid a franchise with some great running backs, McCoy stands head and shoulders above them all. He holds the single-season record for rushing yards (1,607) and yards from scrimmage (2,146). He and Brian Westbrook are the only players to gain more than 9,000 yards from scrimmage in their Eagles career. And only Shady and Ricky Watters averaged more than 100 yards from scrimmage a game as an Eagle.

For those of you who weren’t around when Tommy McDonald played for the Eagles, he was the home run threat at wide receiver long before DeSean Jackson was even born.

He made six Pro Bowls, and over the course of his 12-year career – seven of those with the Eagles – he had 84 TD catches, 18 more than any other receiver. He averaged 19.2 yards a catch as an Eagle, more than any other, and two yards per catch more than DeSean.

Oh yeah, he also caught a 35-yard TD to help the Birds win the NFL Championship in 1960, handing Vince Lombardi the only postseason loss of his career.

He was the chief offensive weapon, and he still got his – 66 TD catches in 88 games as an Eagle. That’s insane. He ranks second on the team’s all-time list to another Hall of Famer, Harold Carmichael. Carmichael had 79 TD catches as an Eagle – in 180 games.

For a team that so values its rich history, this is an absolute no-brainer. This would be a move that bonds generations of Eagles fans, from the Franklin Field faithful, all the way up to the legions at the Linc.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/brilliant-idea-eagles-retire-25-twice-lesean-mccoy-tommy-mcdonald-ray-didinger

There shouldn't be a jersey retirement problem.  McCoy did some great things while here but in no way should they consider retiring his number ... that's ridiculous.  There are other ways to honor players.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, time2rock said:

There shouldn't be a jersey retirement problem.  McCoy did some great things while here but in no way should they consider retiring his number ... that's ridiculous.  There are other ways to honor players.  

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^CORRECT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Like 1

Just realised reading this that if you'd asked me Shady's jersey number Yesterday I wouldn't have remembered it,  I remember Maclin wore 18, Trent Cole wore 58, Asante Samuel wore 22 even that Todd Herremans wore 79 but Shady's number completely escaped my mind, weird.

'Cool Story brah'

I know right

It’s an idea but we all know that  Shady was a POS person off the field and that’s why I have a hard time about them retiring his number.  It’s a shame that an old time Eagles great will have to be link to him because of the number 25 if they do retire it.

Jerseys should only be retired for the pen-ultimate players, once in a lifetime types... not 'very good' players.   McDonald doesn't live up to that level, nor does Shady. 

Bednarik - last 60 minute man - HoFer.
Reggie White - greatest DE ever - HoFer.
Steve Van Buren - first ever RB to reach 1000 yards twice - HoFer.

Frankly, I'm having a hard time finding any others. 

• Like 1