Insider has interesting prediction for Eagles' trade deadline

time2rock

Insider has interesting prediction for Eagles' trade deadline

The Eagles have lost three straight heading into their Week 5 matchup with the Panthers, and even if running back Christian McCaffrey isn't able to go Sunday in Carolina, there's a chance the Eagles could lose three more in a row.

A six-game losing streak within Nick Sirianni's first seven games at the helm? Yikes!

With games against the Panthers, Buccaneers, and Raiders on the docket, there's a very real chance the Eagles are 1-6 heading into a Week 8 matchup at the Lions on Halloween, just two days before the NFL trade deadline.

And if that's the case, Eagles fans might be in for a fascinating trade deadline this year.

At least, that's the thinking of ESPN's NFL uber-insider Adam Schefter, who appeared on 97.5 The Fanatic's John Kincade Show on Wednesday morning to chat all things Eagles.

The idea of the 1-6 start was brought up during Schefter's appearance, and the show asked Schefter what happens if the Eagles hit that record heading into November.

Here's what Schefter said:

"We've always talked about how they're aggressive. They're aggressive to try to win, but I would think they would be aggressive to try and turn it around, too.

"[...]

"If they were 1-6, and that would bring us up to the trade deadline, which I believe is Nov. 2 or Nov. 3, right around there - so three games before the deadline, right? [ed. note: there are 4 games before the deadline] At 1-6? I don't know if firesale, but yeah, they're sellers. At 1-6, they're sellers."

Sellers! You heard it here first!

Being sellers isn't exactly the worst idea considering the Eagles seem to have some young pieces - DeVonta Smith, Josh Sweat, Dallas Goedert, maybe Jalen Hurts? - they should be excited about building around.

But if they're sellers... who might they be selling?

The obvious first answer is Zach Ertz, who has been in trade talks for over a year now. They almost traded him to the Patriots last season. The Packers and Ravens tried to trade for him at the 2020 deadline. I could see Green Bay circling back and trying to make a deal. Ertz turns 30 next month, but he can still play and has a club option after this year, making his contract extremely team-friendly.

Other guys with expiring contracts I could see the team trying to deal? Rodney McLeod - depends on the health - turns 32 next summer. Derek Barnett is a solid-but-unspectacular defensive end who feels entirely replaceable with the emergence of Josh Sweat, and Barnett's reluctance to stop taking dumb penalties.

Looking another year down the road... do the Eagles dare field offers for Fletcher Cox? His deal is pricey (a $26 million cap hit in 2022 makes him almost immovable) but if a team has some cap flexibility and is looking to double down along the lines... who knows?

It'll be an extremely interesting 10 days if the Eagles lose in Las Vegas to the Raiders and return home at 1-6, with a city that will likely be engulfed in "Jalen Hurts is bad" and "Nick Sirianni is also bad" hot takes as far as the eye can see.

It's getting late early at the NovaCare Complex.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-rumors-adam-schefter-says-eagles-could-be-sellers-trade-deadline

I know they won yesterday but they should still be sellers. This team very likely loses on Thursday and drops to 2-4. This team may well win 7 or 8 games (a stretch for sure) but they aren't winning this division. Cowboys are already NFC East champions let's be honest. 

They should absolutely look to trade Cox still I think. They should absolutely listen to any offer for Sanders. Hell maybe they should listen to offers for Lane?

Trade deadline will be right after week 8.  Eagles look like they actually have a realistic shot at being 4-4 at that time (assuming they lose to TB, then win against the Raiders and Lions...although I could still see the Eagles losing to both of them too, ugh).  But, if they're 4-4 at that time, prob not gonna see much selling unless they get a good offer for Ertz.

9 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Trade deadline will be right after week 8.  Eagles look like they actually have a realistic shot at being 4-4 at that time (assuming they lose to TB, then win against the Raiders and Lions...although I could still see the Eagles losing to both of them too, ugh).  But, if they're 4-4 at that time, prob not gonna see much selling unless they get a good offer for Ertz.

I'm not sure they'll get to 4-4. I mean yeah of course they could... But I don't think they will. They could surprise the Bucs but I don't think they'll beat both the Raiders and the Lions. I mean neither are particularly good teams but neither are we.

44 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure they'll get to 4-4. I mean yeah of course they could... But I don't think they will. They could surprise the Bucs but I don't think they'll beat both the Raiders and the Lions. I mean neither are particularly good teams but neither are we.

I agree, but I'm just saying that 4-4 looks more realistic now than it did just a few days ago.  Raiders look like they're starting to slide back down to mediocre and the Lions, even though they're playing hard and are so close to getting a win, they're still an 0-5 team.  I can see the Eagles both winning and/or losing both of those games.  The Eagles appear to be good enough to be competitive against the teams that are somewhere on the bad to middling scale, but no where near good enough to compete against the good teams.  

If they do end up at 4-4, their schedule for the rest of the year has mostly "winnable" games.  The only 2 teams they play in their final 9 games where we won't stand much of a chance are against the Chargers and Dallas.  Believe it or not, there is a path to an 11-6 record for the Eagles right now.  But that's if they beat all the bad-to-mediocre teams left on their schedule.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Believe it or not, there is a path to an 11-6 record for the Eagles right now.  But that's if they beat all the bad-to-mediocre teams left on their schedule.

I know that technically that is possible and sure it could happen... But this is not a very good team and those teams find ways to lose against bad teams. I can see at a stretch this team getting to 8 wins but even that's a huge stretch let's be honest.

• Like 2

I don't know if they'll sell or not but if they choose to, I'd prefer they look for 2023 draft pick(s) as compensation.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

I don't know if they'll sell or not but if they choose to, I'd prefer they look for 2023 draft pick(s) as compensation.

Agreed.  We have a significant amount of high end draft capital in 2022 as it stands now.  I'd rather see them use that ammo to restock the roster with elite talent at positions of need (DE, CB, S, LB in particular) and continue to see if Hurts is the guy or not.  So far it has been somewhat of a mixed bag but he certainly shows flashes of being able to become that.  If after this year (where I expect will not lead to a complete evaluation) and 2022 there are still a lot of questions around him, then better to be prepared with enough draft capital to make a move for a QB then when hopefully the class is better than what is expected in April.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Agreed.  We have a significant amount of high end draft capital in 2022 as it stands now.  I'd rather see them use that ammo to restock the roster with elite talent at positions of need (DE, CB, S, LB in particular) and continue to see if Hurts is the guy or not.  So far it has been somewhat of a mixed bag but he certainly shows flashes of being able to become that.  If after this year (where I expect will not lead to a complete evaluation) and 2022 there are still a lot of questions around him, then better to be prepared with enough draft capital to make a move for a QB then when hopefully the class is better than what is expected in April.  

Huh, WR isn't on the list. 

:D

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Huh, WR isn't on the list. 

:D

You know, it likely should be.  Right now the only one on the roster that looks to be more than JAG is Smith.