Progress Matters

time2rock

Progress Matters

Posted: October 12th, 2021 | Author: Tommy Lawlor 

The Eagles have been plagued by mistakes this year. The team has committed way too many penalties. Five or six touchdowns have been wiped out by penalties. There have been blown coverages and missed assignments. Sunday was another sloppy performance, but there was progress. And that matters.

The Eagles were able to cut down on the mistakes and win the game. The Eagles committed fewer penalties (6 vs 9) and had fewer penalty yards (60 vs 69). That’s a step in the right direction.

It was the Eagles making crucial plays. They blocked the punt late in the game. They came up with 3 interceptions. They converted the third down so they could run out the clock.

The Eagles were be the better second half team. That wasn’t the case the previous three weeks, which were all losses. The Eagles closed this game out, on offense, defense and special teams.

There is still a lot of work to be done. There are plenty of issues to address from Sunday. Greg Ward had a dumb penalty wipe out a TD pass. That simply cannot happen. Miles Sanders ran out of bounds late in the game. Twice!!! I would have pulled him off the field after the first time. That’s Football 101. Unbelievable. The offense has a ton of issues to work out, with a lot of those being on the coaches.

The coaches will address those issues. They know the team has to play better. Everyone is happy about the win, but not the mistakes that made it tougher than it should have been.

Still, it is critical that the team got a taste of success. Think about people who go on a diet. They get on the scale every day. They are frustrated until they see five pounds go away. Or 10. They want to see progress.

The Eagles coaches have been preaching certain messages since the start of OTAs. After Sunday, they can show some progress.

Jonathan Gannon has talked about the need for takeaways. He wants his defense finding a way to get the ball. On Sunday, Eagles CBs had 3 picks and they were a crucial part of the win. Last year Eagles CBs had 2 interceptions all year long. It helps that Sam Darnold threw some bad passes, but the CBs still needed to get to the ball and finish the play. Think about how often DBs drop passes that get to them. Darius Slay and Steve Nelson made good plays.

All teams preach the importance of the four-minute offense. That is when the offense gets the ball late in the game and wants to work on the clock. They want to be able to grind out first downs. Time is more important than points.

The Eagles got the ball with 1:57 left on Sunday. Carolina still had all three timeouts so the game wasn’t over. The Eagles ran for a pair of first downs and then were able to go into the victory formation. The O-line did a terrific job of blocking and the runners moved the sticks. That’s winning football.

Special teams coaches love to talk about the importance of the kicking game. They can make plays that change a game, especially a close game. Jake Elliott nailed a 58-yard FG late in the half on Sunday. Getting those points late in the half gave the Eagles a feeling of momentum as they went into the lockerroom. And those three points proved to be crucial.

Late in the game the punt return unit was able to make a huge play. STs coach Michael Clay had pointed out a potential block scenario during practice. The Panthers gave the Eagles the right look and TJ Edwards was ready. He came free up the middle and blocked the punt. That play gave the whole team a jolt of energy. The offense turned that into a quick TD and suddenly the Eagles had their first lead of the game.

The coaches can now show the players tangible proof of what they have been talking about for months. These are the takeaways we wanted. These are the STs plays we wanted. These are the clutch offensive plays we wanted.

This is how you win.

You and I can talk about draft picks and the future. Players and coaches live in the moment. Winning makes all the difference in the world to them. For a day or two, the Eagles can feel good.

Then it is time to think about Thursday night and Tampa.

http://igglesblitz.com/2021/10/progress-matters/

I know we want a high draft pick but what is better? A team who go late in to the year and potentially make the play offs (unlikely I know). Or a team who finish in the top 10 of the draft. Given the ammo they have in next years draft (and how bad Miami look) they are going to have a high draft pick anyway. 

13 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I know we want a high draft pick but what is better? A team who go late in to the year and potentially make the play offs (unlikely I know). Or a team who finish in the top 10 of the draft. Given the ammo they have in next years draft (and how bad Miami look) they are going to have a high draft pick anyway. 

I want 2 (or 3). There are some MAJOR defensive blue chippers in the top 10 of this draft. Imagine somehow coming away with Thibodeaux AND Stingley. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

I want 2 (or 3). There are some MAJOR defensive blue chippers in the top 10 of this draft. Imagine somehow coming away with Thibodeaux AND Stingley. 

Oh imagine that! I mean I really want us to draft Thibodeaux. It isn't going to happen as he's going to go #1 overall but I think he's going to be a freak in the NFL. 

It's tough for an offense when the biggest hurdle they have to overcome is the coach's playcalling.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

IMO this year should be ALL about preparing for the future.  That goes for evaluating young, inexperienced players on the roster to see who fits in with what they are trying to do offensively and defensively and weed out those (young and old) that don't.  That also includes adding as much top end talent as possible, so I am definitely OK with going through this year with a poor record (since there is 0.00001% chance we would compete for a championship anyway, which is the ultimate goal) and just hope to see growth from the young players and they start "getting it" as the season progresses.  Adding multiple elite prospects would go a long way to help put us in position to be competitive sooner.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

IMO this year should be ALL about preparing for the future.  That goes for evaluating young, inexperienced players on the roster to see who fits in with what they are trying to do offensively and defensively and weed out those (young and old) that don't.  That also includes adding as much top end talent as possible, so I am definitely OK with going through this year with a poor record (since there is 0.00001% chance we would compete for a championship anyway, which is the ultimate goal) and just hope to see growth from the young players and they start "getting it" as the season progresses.  Adding multiple elite prospects would go a long way to help put us in position to be competitive sooner.  

But don't we think we will feel better about Hurts and Sirianni if they play well and win games? If they don't then we are going to go in to next year with question marks over whether they are the future or not. And if they suck that badly and end up with a high pick then perhaps Sirianni gets fired and then we start over again. 

7 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Stingley most likely will drop out of the top 5 projection due to his injury. But I agree, we could have major young talent coming in. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

Stingley most likely will drop out of the top 5 projection due to his injury. But I agree, we could have major young talent coming in. 

Most likely right, just the two names that popped into my head first.  lol

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But don't we think we will feel better about Hurts and Sirianni if they play well and win games? If they don't then we are going to go in to next year with question marks over whether they are the future or not. And if they suck that badly and end up with a high pick then perhaps Sirianni gets fired and then we start over again. 

I think they can both show progress as we move through this season and give hope for the future while not having a record that reflects it considering our schedule (Buccaneers, Chargers, Saints, etc).  I had us at 7 wins prior to the season and I stand by that ... I think that likely leads us to picking somewhere around 10 (give or take a spot or 2).  

56 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I think they can both show progress as we move through this season and give hope for the future while not having a record that reflects it considering our schedule (Buccaneers, Chargers, Saints, etc).  I had us at 7 wins prior to the season and I stand by that ... I think that likely leads us to picking somewhere around 10 (give or take a spot or 2).  

My initial reaction is 7 wins seems a lot for a team picking around 10. But then 14 teams make the play offs this year so if we don't (and I don't expect us to) then worst case it would be #17...

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

My initial reaction is 7 wins seems a lot for a team picking around 10. But then 14 teams make the play offs this year so if we don't (and I don't expect us to) then worst case it would be #17...

Dallas and NY (6 win teams) were originally picking 10 and 11 this year.  So perhaps a 7 win team picks 12 or 13 this year?  Again, I said 10 give or take a spot or 2.  

• Like 1

Just now, time2rock said:

Dallas and NY (6 win teams) were originally picking 10 and 11 this year.  So perhaps a 7 win team picks 12 or 13 this year?  Again, I said 10 give or take a spot or 2.  

It's why I said my initial reaction but then when I thought about it I figured it was plausible 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 2:44 AM, birdman#12 said:

It's tough for an offense when the biggest hurdle they have to overcome is the QB continuing to miss wide open receivers

FYP

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Serious question?  Did you watch the games?  If you did and you’re still asking that question, then you must not know football. 

He’s not very smart.  Throws the ball out of bounds on a free play.  He can’t read the field.  One read and run.  Doesn’t have the ability to get to his 2nd, 3rd or 4th read.  Doesn’t have the arm strength to make the key timing sideline out passes.  Has limited downfield arm strength.  Has to arch the ball when it’s more than 20-30 yards downfield.  Doesn’t have great accuracy.  Offense has to be simplified to almost 100% RPO.  Where he doesn’t do a good enough job making the right reads and letting the RB do their work.  

Questioning his arm strength tells me enough that you don't know what you're talking about.  And he dropped back over 40 times to pass and ran the ball 9 times......3-4 of them were DESIGNED QB runs.  So he ran 5 times on pass plays. Take a look at some box scores, 5 runs off pass plays isn't much.

When it comes to reads, you clearly don't know what you're watching.....

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You think he’s got a good enough arm to zip a 15-20 yard out timing pattern?   That’s the throw a lot or pro qb’s are judge on.   Not the 50 yard heave.  You think he works through his reads?  :lol:  Look at his completion charts from the first 5 games.  They have not had that many designed QB runs. They have had RPO’s.  Where he pulls it and runs because he can’t read a defense.  

😂

5 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

"Progress”.  

Again.  You’re clueless.  

Look, you idiot, young QBs take a while to develop......and as a 2nd round draft pick, an argument could be made that he should have sat this year, especially with a new offense. 

But morons like you think these kids should just walk in and "save the franchise"......Consistency is one of the hardest things to develop....but again, morons like yourself have no f------ idea what the hell your talking about.....

7 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Look, you idiot, young QBs take a while to develop......and as a 2nd round draft pick, an argument could be made that he should have sat this year, especially with a new offense. 

But morons like you think these kids should just walk in and "save the franchise"......Consistency is one of the hardest things to develop....but again, morons like yourself have no f------ idea what the hell your talking about.....

Why would you have him sit this year?  This is the perfect year for him to get experience in the new system and work out the kinks in his game and in the offense as a whole together.  

On 10/15/2021 at 4:12 PM, time2rock said:

Why would you have him sit this year?  This is the perfect year for him to get experience in the new system and work out the kinks in his game and in the offense as a whole together.  

Young QBs struggle with the transition from one system to another.....and combine that with the fact that he was a 2nd round pick with very noticeable areas he had to improve.  Last year in Pedersen's offense didn't teach him much.  And he had little OTA time and almost no preseason reps.  Flacco, at this point in his career, would have been able to hold the fort and let Hurts get as much practice and film time.  There is nothing like playing time.....and that's true for every other position....but with QBs, it can really do damage.  We've seen it with high drafted QBs before.....thrown in too early and their careers are destroyed by their 2nd or 3rd year.  It's an extraordinarily difficult position to master.

In the years I worked with QBs, they are really dependent on their confidence and need to able to be fundamentally solid.  When they struggle, they resort back to their athleticism and the need to "make something happen".  Which more often than not, leads to mistakes.....then their confidence takes a hit.  They're different animals than the rest.  The ups and downs they have while developing is not regression, like some idiots on here think...it's a learning curve and one of the hardest things to develop is consistency, and what to do when they're confused.

What Hurts is not seeing on the field, he could learn from watching games and film study, which would make identifying and reacting to them better once he's on the field.  Hurts is already a pretty confident guy.....but he's making mistakes and not understanding what he's seeing.....he's also trying to finesse things a little too much. 

Now that the eagles decided he was the starter, they would do more damage if they benched him.  But Sirianni needs to get better.....Hurts shouldn't be throwing more than 20-25 times a game.  Sirianni's play calling has not been good.  Sirianni needs to design the game plan to get the ball out of Hurts hands quickly, either thru running the ball or quick throws.  Especially early in the game......get Hurts into a groove, move the chains and don't put the whole f------ game plan on his back.

Unfortunately, I think Roseman is using this year as a "tryout" for Hurts....the eagles are loaded up to obtain a QB this offseason.  Which sucks for Hurts.  I've said it before, patience is really necessary when developing a young QB......and the eagles have turned into the old cleveland browns.  It's not a QB factory, it's revolving door.