Two AFC teams reportedly interested in Ertz deadline deal

time2rock

Two AFC teams reportedly interested in Ertz deadline deal

Stop us if you've heard this one before: the Eagles have two starting-caliber tight ends, and they're thinking about trading one before this year's deadline.

Sound familiar? As in, didn't we just do this last season?

ESPN NFL insider Jeremy Fowler dropped a column full of NFL nuggets on Tuesday morning, including one about the Eagles and Zach Ertz, who Folwer says could once again be a trade deadline name buzzing around numerous front offices:

"You can’t ever sleep on the Philadelphia Eagles potentially unloading a player or two at the deadline. Sources say tight end Zach Ertz thought he was getting traded at least twice in the offseason before things calmed down.

"[...]

"Ertz’s name could resurface, though he’s probably not willing to take a pay cut at this point. He is playing well in a contract year, with 14 catches for 160 yards and a touchdown. As for where Ertz could go, league execs have long pegged Buffalo and Indianapolis as potential landing spots."

Here we go again!

Ertz's long and storied career in Philadelphia included a Super Bowl-sealing touchdown, two Pro Bowl selections, and a lifetime of goodwill with the fan base.

But if the Eagles want to keep Dallas Goedert happy with a potential extension around the corner, they should probably deal Ertz at the deadline and make it clear to Goedert that he's their guy rather than splitting time between the two.

Nick Sirianni's reluctance to play much 12 personnel this year has led to Goedert, a budding star tight end handicapped by his own organization, playing 68.3% of the Eagles' snaps through five weeks, while Ertz has played 56.4%.

A guy like Mark Andrews in Baltimore or T.J. Hockenson in Detroit is probably what Goedert should be shooting for, in terms of involvement in the offense. Andrews has played 74.7% of the Ravens' snaps through five weeks; Hockenson has played 84.6% of the Lions' snaps through five weeks.

If the Eagles can get any sort of trade capital in exchange for Ertz, who turns 31 next month and whose contract is up after this season, they should absolutely pull the trigger.

It'll be a bummer to say goodbye to Ertz, but this is a business, and the Eagles need to add as many valuable assets as possible in the immediate future in order to start building back towards consistent playoff appearances.

I'm not sure the Bills make a ton of sense for Ertz, considering Dawson Knox is playing out of his mind in Buffalo right now. The Colts could be a fit, both because Ertz has a good relationship with Carson Wentz and Frank Reich, and because neither Jack Doyle nor Mo Alie-Cox are particularly good.

Long story short: if the opportunity arises, Howie Roseman needs to make it happen.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-trade-rumors-eagles-zach-ertz-could-be-dealt-colts-bills-interested

• Like 1

I still think Arizona makes sense? They've just lost their best TE and look like they are legit contenders. 

But what about... Goedert has suggested that he's going to be a FA after this year. I think he's a really talented player but has he shown that consistently here? I don't think he has. 

So what about trading Goedert? If you'd get more value for him that is. And if you think that Tyree Jackson could really be something. 

Letting Goedert walk would just be idiotic.  He's a very good TE who could be a top 5 TE.......I don't know WTF the eagles are waiting for to extend him.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I still think Arizona makes sense? They've just lost their best TE and look like they are legit contenders. 

But what about... Goedert has suggested that he's going to be a FA after this year. I think he's a really talented player but has he shown that consistently here? I don't think he has. 

So what about trading Goedert? If you'd get more value for him that is. And if you think that Tyree Jackson could really be something. 

They should have plenty of $ to be able to extend Goedert ... I don't understand the hesitation to do so.  This is a completely different conversation talking about getting a 26 year old under contract for the next several years vs a 30 year old, especially on a team that should still be in the mode of purging overpriced, aging vets that are on the downside of their careers and/or have become more injury prone.  I hope Howie manages to move Ertz by the trade deadline for an early day 3 pick (4th rounder to Indy or Buffalo) and we extend Goedert.  Let Jackson, Stoll, and Togiai battle it out for spots behind Goedert.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

They should have plenty of $ to be able to extend Goedert ... I don't understand the hesitation to do so.  This is a completely different conversation talking about getting a 26 year old under contract for the next several years vs a 30 year old, especially on a team that should still be in the mode of purging overpriced, aging vets that are on the downside of their careers and/or have become more injury prone.  I hope Howie manages to move Ertz by the trade deadline for an early day 3 pick (4th rounder to Indy or Buffalo) and we extend Goedert.  Let Jackson, Stoll, and Togiai battle it out for spots behind Goedert.  

Oh I'm with you. I'd pay Goedert (not necessarily top top $ but it's going to be near that). I don't get why they aren't doing so. But if they could get say a second or a third and a sixth for him... Would you take it?

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh I'm with you. I'd pay Goedert (not necessarily top top $ but it's going to be near that). I don't get why they aren't doing so. But if they could get say a second or a third and a sixth for him... Would you take it?

No, there is no guarantee that a 2nd or 3rd becomes a player of his caliber.  We should be trying to acquire and retain the young talent we have considering the lack of it here (overall compared to other teams around the league).  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Letting Goedert walk would just be idiotic.  He's a very good TE who could be a top 5 TE.......I don't know WTF the eagles are waiting for to extend him.

Agreed. 

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

No, there is no guarantee that a 2nd or 3rd becomes a player of his caliber.  We should be trying to acquire and retain the young talent we have considering the lack of it here (overall compared to other teams around the league).  

I don't disagree but we don't know what his demands are. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't disagree but we don't know what his demands are. 

He's going to get paid, that is for sure.  I imagine the $ his agent was seeking was what led to him making those comments about no interest being shown in extending him and therefore becoming a FA.  IMO that all seems like a game players/agents and GMs play ... GMs tell the other side they can't even come close to meeting their demand and they'll have to go in a different direction, and players/agents say they cannot accept such a low offer and will just test FA instead.  Most of the time they eventually meet somewhere in the middle and get something done but obviously not always.  I hope they can work this out.  

• Like 1

Ertz will get another contract somewhere. He can still play at a high level. The Eagles just have to calculate what a likely comp pick would be for him and then look for better compensation in a trade. If they can get it, move him and if not, don't.

5 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Ertz will get another contract somewhere. He can still play at a high level. The Eagles just have to calculate what a likely comp pick would be for him and then look for better compensation in a trade. If they can get it, move him and if not, don't.

They’ll also need to balance that against how aggressive they plan to be in free agency.  Obviously if they plan to. Eb players that minimizes the likelihood of getting any comp pick.  A guaranteed 5th is better than a comp 3rd or 4th if chances of actually getting it are minimal. 

6 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Maybe they are waiting to get Ertz’ contract off the books to give them the cap space for a Goedert extension?  Makes sense, right?

i think the only mystery here is whether they can create a competition to get a decent pick - I like a conditional pick with upside if he plays well. 

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

They’ll also need to balance that against how aggressive they plan to be in free agency.  Obviously if they plan to. Eb players that minimizes the likelihood of getting any comp pick.  A guaranteed 5th is better than a comp 3rd or 4th if chances of actually getting it are minimal. 

Yeah, that's all part of the calculation. In the end, I hope they get fair compensation once he's gone.

• Like 1