What's with the nonexistent run defense?

JP HOF

5 minutes ago, JP HOF said:

Every team is a hot knife and we are butter.

Ultimately... I don't think Sweat is great against the run and I'm not sure Barnett is either. Add to that our LBs are woeful and this soft scheme which sits deep and it is inviting teams to run on them. 

• Like 1

My understanding is Gannon's scheme has the safeties playing further back to prevent the deep ball. This puts more pressure on the LBs to fill gaps because you don't have the safety down in the box to help. Unfortunately, due to years of neglecting the position group, our LBs are all limited or completely unproven players.

Not having Graham hurts too, although that's no real excuse. Losing one player should not torpedo your run defense.

• Like 4

Early in the game yesterday, we didn't play the run well, but it got better. In this scheme, we need the LBs to play better vs the run. If they could finish tackles more often and keep from being knocked back or dragged upon contact, we'd be pretty stout. 

It seemed like we were in prevent defense on at least the first two drives yesterday. Who would have guessed that the greatest QB of all time who has been in the league for 30 years would be smart enough to methodically pick us apart all the way down the field? It was a tough break for Gannon because the plan was sound. 

agree they should have pushed for Micah Parsons

3 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

Trash LBs. And our Dline is geared more towards QB pressure. 

The answer is as others have stated, this team has ZERO difference making Linebackers. No LB'ers means no run defense.

singleton is in on almost every play....unfortunately, he's either getting run over or drug down the field for additional yards. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

singleton is in on almost every play....unfortunately, he's either getting run over or drug down the field for additional yards. 

He's in on the play after the RB has gained at least 5-6 yards.  He's more of a fireman than a LB.

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

In this scheme, we need the LBs to play better vs the run. 

Our LBs are an embarrassment.

31 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

Reminds me of the human speed bump, Sean Considine. Gets a bunch of tackles but only after the RB has gained at least 5 yards.

• Haha 1

Average at best linebackers and lineman that want to pressure the quarterback rather then play the run will do that.

I hate to bring facts into this, but the Eagles have given up 4.1 yards per rush this year … that is 13th best out of 32 teams.  So, yeah, there’s that.

Just now, BayAreaLennie said:

I hate to bring facts into this, but the Eagles have given up 4.1 yards per rush this year … that is 13th best out of 32 teams.  So, yeah, there’s that.

He just likes to start bad threads when he stops by once every two months

On 10/15/2021 at 1:03 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ultimately... I don't think Sweat is great against the run and I'm not sure Barnett is either. Add to that our LBs are woeful and this soft scheme which sits deep and it is inviting teams to run on them. 

Our LBs are mediocre, and so is are our Safeties. That's why Gannon wants them to prevent the pass more than to stop the run. But if Gannon does line up 7-8 man in the box, he can certainly stop the run, but it will expose our weak secondary to man coverage. If we only had better safeties, then we could get away with sticking one safety on run support and play opposing WRs tighter. Unfortunately Epps is prone to mistakes and McLeod is just not healthy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably bc they are forced to only defend the pass in practice and Hurts looks like Mahomes out there against this weak D Gannon draws up. Neither side is benefiting from practicing with each other.

Don't care that stats say we are in the middle of the pack. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2021 at 12:54 PM, BayAreaLennie said:

The Eagles are also 30th in giving up rushing 1st downs per game (8.7 per game.) When it matters most, they apparently can't stop it.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 10:43 PM, PoconoDon said:

The Eagles are also 30th in giving up rushing 1st downs per game (8.7 per game.) When it matters most, they apparently can't stop it.

That is an interesting stat.  In combination with the relatively low yards per rush they are giving up, it would suggest that opponents are picking up 3rd and short and similar situations far too easily.

Also interestingly, the Eagles are 10th on offense in rushing 1st downs per game -- not too many board users would think that even remotely possible given the dearth of rushing attempts this year (but of course, Hurts scrambling accounts for some of that no doubt). 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 2:57 AM, JP HOF said:

Every team is a hot knife and we are butter.

They "evolved" their coaching to not bother running the ball, or stopping the run either.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:50 PM, Traveler Vic said:

Our LBs are mediocre, and so is are our Safeties. That's why Gannon wants them to prevent the pass more than to stop the run. But if Gannon does line up 7-8 man in the box, he can certainly stop the run, but it will expose our weak secondary to man coverage. If we only had better safeties, then we could get away with sticking one safety on run support and play opposing WRs tighter. Unfortunately Epps is prone to mistakes and McLeod is just not healthy.

I think this answers the question best!

• Like 1