DeMarvin Leal (Texas A&M DT) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #84

philafan4o8

Most likely these draft analyst are talking to NFL scouts and FO people, and have gotten the feedback that he is not as good as advertised.

14 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Anyone know why he is free-falling on draft boards?

Some now have him as a mid 2nd rounder.

Dear Lord if we could grab him with 51 after using 2 of our day 1 picks on a DE and CB (and trading the other for a 2023 1st + a 2022 2nd) that would be tremendous.  Then go LB or S with the 2nd we gain. 

• Like 2

On 1/25/2022 at 11:36 AM, D-Shiznit said:

Most likely these draft analyst are talking to NFL scouts and FO people, and have gotten the feedback that he is not as good as advertised.

I'm curious about this as well. Many mocks are now having Jordan Davis being taken as the first DT off the board, with Leal being either a late 1st rounder or not even mocked in the 1st at all. At one point I thought we would have to possibly trade up for him like we did for Fletcher Cox in 2012, but that may not be necessary now.

4 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I'm curious about this as well. Many mocks are now having Jordan Davis being taken as the first DT off the board, with Leal being either a late 1st rounder or not even mocked in the 1st at all. At one point I thought we would have to possibly trade up for him like we did for Fletcher Cox in 2012, but that may not be necessary now.

He sure feels exactly like the kind of pick that we really like, falls in the draft and then turns out to be really good.

14 hours ago, Infam said:

He sure feels exactly like the kind of pick that we really like, falls in the draft and then turns out to be really good.

Unless there's something serious character wise off the field, it almost feels as if other players being hyped up more is pushing Leal down. Jordan Davis being on the National Championship team that upset Alabama only helps his stock more.

Would like to grab him with one of our 1sts if that's the case.

• Like 1

Most likely his tape isn't impressing talent evaluators, or it might be a Clowney like work ethic issue.

Either way the guy has gone from a consensus top 7-8 pick to out of first round projections for a reason.

7 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Most likely his tape isn't impressing talent evaluators, or it might be a Clowney like work ethic issue.

Either way the guy has gone from a consensus top 7-8 pick to out of first round projections for a reason.

Maybe. Or maybe the evaluators aren’t actually that great at their job.

1 hour ago, Infam said:

Maybe. Or maybe the evaluators aren’t actually that great at their job.

It’s not that hard to figure this one out. Leal is a bit of a tweener like Milton Williams. It’s harder to project where this kid would fit in. He isn’t a prototypical DT, nor a pure 4-3 edge. The team that takes him must have a plan in place for him.

Take Jordan Davis for example. You can’t get around it, or him for that matter. He’s a space eating NT.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

It’s not that hard to figure this one out. Leal is a bit of a tweener like Milton Williams. It’s harder to project where this kid would fit in. He isn’t a prototypical DT, nor a pure 4-3 edge. The team that takes him must have a plan in place for him.

Take Jordan Davis for example. You can’t get around it, or him for that matter. He’s a space eating NT.

I understand that, it’s just a very poor argument in my book. If he’s a difference maker that’s all that matters. Well unless there are real character concerns..

22 hours ago, Infam said:

I understand that, it’s just a very poor argument in my book. If he’s a difference maker that’s all that matters. Well unless there are real character concerns..

Try to look at it from a talent evaluators view. Where do you slot him? What scheme? Which teams would use a first on him? It’s all about projection.

I’m a fan of Leal, a die hard Eagles fan and offseason and draft geek but even I have a hard time figuring out what his role would be here if we draft him. Will he be Cox’s heir and Hargrave’s and/or Williams running mate at DT or do you use him as an edge rusher? The latter IMO handsdown our biggest need. There just are kids coming out who project to have a more definitive position.

Let’s say you’re a team looking for a prototypical DE or DT. How do you evaluate Leal? 

• Like 1

3T in a 4-3… we run multiple fronts, so he also has 4i versatility (like Milton).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Leal got arrested for marijuana possession around Christmas time, and also missed time on the COVID list so his slide on some mocks is not all that surprising.  Plus his best traits are his versatility rather than dominating at one position.

He's a strong, agile DL with a huge wingspan and good work ethic.  I suspect he'll be sitting on the board in the 15-20 range where the Eagles are picking.  It's just a question whether they will value his versatility or draft someone who is a pure edge rusher.  I wouldn't be upset at all if Leal was one of the Eagles 1st round picks.

On 2/8/2022 at 9:32 AM, Alphagrand said:

Leal got arrested for marijuana possession around Christmas time, and also missed time on the COVID list so his slide on some mocks is not all that surprising.  Plus his best traits are his versatility rather than dominating at one position.

He's a strong, agile DL with a huge wingspan and good work ethic.  I suspect he'll be sitting on the board in the 15-20 range where the Eagles are picking.  It's just a question whether they will value his versatility or draft someone who is a pure edge rusher.  I wouldn't be upset at all if Leal was one of the Eagles 1st round picks.

Could potentially be a steal in the 2nd round, but could still be on our radar in the 1st. I guess it depends on how the rest of the draft board shakes out. 

• Like 1

PFF has his ranked #49 overall in their updated rankings:

Leal was a top-10 player on the preseason draft board, but sadly didn't take the next step we were hoping for. In fact, he saw both his run defense and pass-rushing grades take steps backwards in 2021. He's a gifted athlete for a 6-foot-4, 290 pounder, but that lack of development is worrisome.

7 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

PFF has his ranked #49 overall in their updated rankings:

Jermaine Johnson #42, I guess they are waiting for the combine…

On 2/12/2022 at 8:23 AM, Waiting4Someday said:

Jermaine Johnson #42, I guess they are waiting for the combine…

These ranking are all over the place depending on which site you check.  DraftTek still has Leal ranked the #6 overall player.  They had Johnson ranked 83 not to long ago but he is now 25 in their most recent rankings.  

• 2 weeks later...

This dude's draft stock has cratered, reminds me of Da'Quan Bowers - consensus top 5-7 pick in the early draft process, ended up a mid 2nd rounder.

13 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

This dude's draft stock has cratered, reminds me of Da'Quan Bowers - consensus top 5-7 pick in the early draft process, ended up a mid 2nd rounder.

If he's there at 51 would be a no brainer.  

• Like 1