Hurts Deserves Second Year as Starter With Barren QB Class

time2rock

The Philadelphia Eagles are on pace to have three different top ten picks in the 2022 NFL Draft, and although it’s unlikely such a result would actually come to fruition, it shows the importance of holding a large amount of early draft stock. 

With their draft assets, Eagles general manager Howie Roseman has the ability to change his roster in two very different directions. If current starting quarterback Jalen Hurts can prove his case for being the franchise guy then those picks could be used to surround him with talent, but if not then they could be used to find his replacement. 

vb.PNG.181fa378097528929caad184c3a1417b.PNG

Luckily for Hurts though, a real top dog has yet to be identified out of the 2022 NFL Draft Class’ quarterbacks, meaning there is no sure-thing prospect to trade up for. While Oklahoma’s Spencer Rattler and North Carolina’s Sam Howell are among a few of the most notable names expected to be drafted in the first round, neither warrant sacrificing a package of picks. 

Rattler struggled through the first four games, leading to his own fans booing him in a win over West Virginia at home. In Oklahoma’s recent win over Texas, Spencer struggled yet again in the first half and was pulled for freshman Caleb Williams multiple times throughout the game. 

Oklahoma’s head coach Lincoln Riley gained the reputation of a quarterback guru after developing back-to-back first round picks in Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray as well as heisman-runner up and current Eagle Jalen Hurts. His streak seems to have hit a bump in the road with Rattlers’ struggles, and Howie Roseman should beware of the quarterback with his starting job in flux. 

North Carolina’s Sam Howell’s starting position isn’t in doubt, but his draft stock has definitely also fallen. The Tar Heels are currently 3-3 so far this season after losing to Florida State at home by a score of 35-25.

Howell entered the season as a Heisman favorite and the expected leader of the Tar Heels this season as they hope to meet expectations of being Clemson’s top competitor in the ACC. 

Now, both quarterbacks once seen as first-round sure things are fighting to stay in consideration for the Heisman award. With their draft stocks severely in question, both Howell and Rattler could look to stay in college for an addition and possibly transfer to a better situation.

Jalen Hurts hasn’t exactly proven his supporters right or his doubters wrong, but if he continues to flash potential while holding his own as a starter, he should absolutely enter next season at the Eagles starting quarterback and GM Howie Roseman should use his trio of first round picks to surround Hurts with talent rather than replace him.

https://www.phlsportsnation.com/2021/10/13/hurts-deserves-second-year-as-starter-with-barren-qb-class/

If this isn't a strong QB class coming up, then I think it would be a huge mistake to take one early.  You're basically reaching for need on a much lesser player - those are the kinds of moves that set franchises back (or prevent them from getting better).  Better to take a much more talented player at another position ... this roster is in need of talent at practically every position ... and start building a stronger team.  Try to move one of those 2022 1s to 2023 to make a move then if the QB class is projected to be stronger (and should neither Hurts nor Minshew prove to be "the guy" by the time next season concludes).  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

If this isn't a strong QB class coming up, then I think it would be a huge mistake to take one early.  You're basically reaching for need on a much lesser player - those are the kinds of moves that set franchises back (or prevent them from getting better).  Better to take a much more talented player at another position ... this roster is in need of talent at practically every position ... and start building a stronger team.  Try to move one of those 2022 1s to 2023 to make a move then if the QB class is projected to be stronger (and should neither Hurts nor Minshew prove to be "the guy" by the time next season concludes).  

Give the defense a stud linebacker, safety and DE and we could be good enough to win games even with a limited game manager at QB until the right guy comes out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

The Philadelphia Eagles are on pace to have three different top ten picks in the 2022 NFL Draft, and although it’s unlikely such a result would actually come to fruition, it shows the importance of holding a large amount of early draft stock. 

With their draft assets, Eagles general manager Howie Roseman has the ability to change his roster in two very different directions. If current starting quarterback Jalen Hurts can prove his case for being the franchise guy then those picks could be used to surround him with talent, but if not then they could be used to find his replacement. 

vb.PNG.181fa378097528929caad184c3a1417b.PNG

Luckily for Hurts though, a real top dog has yet to be identified out of the 2022 NFL Draft Class’ quarterbacks, meaning there is no sure-thing prospect to trade up for. While Oklahoma’s Spencer Rattler and North Carolina’s Sam Howell are among a few of the most notable names expected to be drafted in the first round, neither warrant sacrificing a package of picks. 

Rattler struggled through the first four games, leading to his own fans booing him in a win over West Virginia at home. In Oklahoma’s recent win over Texas, Spencer struggled yet again in the first half and was pulled for freshman Caleb Williams multiple times throughout the game. 

Oklahoma’s head coach Lincoln Riley gained the reputation of a quarterback guru after developing back-to-back first round picks in Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray as well as heisman-runner up and current Eagle Jalen Hurts. His streak seems to have hit a bump in the road with Rattlers’ struggles, and Howie Roseman should beware of the quarterback with his starting job in flux. 

North Carolina’s Sam Howell’s starting position isn’t in doubt, but his draft stock has definitely also fallen. The Tar Heels are currently 3-3 so far this season after losing to Florida State at home by a score of 35-25.

Howell entered the season as a Heisman favorite and the expected leader of the Tar Heels this season as they hope to meet expectations of being Clemson’s top competitor in the ACC. 

Now, both quarterbacks once seen as first-round sure things are fighting to stay in consideration for the Heisman award. With their draft stocks severely in question, both Howell and Rattler could look to stay in college for an addition and possibly transfer to a better situation.

Jalen Hurts hasn’t exactly proven his supporters right or his doubters wrong, but if he continues to flash potential while holding his own as a starter, he should absolutely enter next season at the Eagles starting quarterback and GM Howie Roseman should use his trio of first round picks to surround Hurts with talent rather than replace him.

https://www.phlsportsnation.com/2021/10/13/hurts-deserves-second-year-as-starter-with-barren-qb-class/

He's surrounded by talent,he can't make the throws

• Like 1

Go into next season with Hurts on the roster but not crowned as "The Guy". If he can legitimately beat out Minshew and whoever else then fine. But note the legitimately qualifier. There is still a lot of football left to be played this year.

• Like 1

There is no correlation with no QB talent and him deserving another year.  Either he deserves another year on his own merits or he doesn't.  The talent coming out has nothing to do with it.  That said, accuracy, arm strength, seeing the whole field all are well below average with Hurts.  He may learn to read defenses and see the field better but you can't teach arm strength and his accuracy may not be able to improve much at this point.

With 2 (maybe 3) 1st round picks coming up next season, maybe Howie can trade... with the Colts... for that kid, Carson Wentz... :huh: 

Spoiler

Can you image the explosion that would take place in Philadelphia (and TATE)? lol

They absolutely should not draft a QB in 2022. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to stick with Hurts but they shouldn't pull the trigger on one of these QBs. 

But I'd be OK with them trading one of the first round picks for extra picks in 2023. Still pick at least twice in the first round in 2022 but give yourself extra picks the year after too. Then if there's a QB you fall in love with in 2022 you can go after one with that extra ammo.

29 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They absolutely should not draft a QB in 2022. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to stick with Hurts but they shouldn't pull the trigger on one of these QBs. 

But I'd be OK with them trading one of the first round picks for extra picks in 2023. Still pick at least twice in the first round in 2022 but give yourself extra picks the year after too. Then if there's a QB you fall in love with in 2022 you can go after one with that extra ammo.

Certainly a good plan. The one cautionary thought I've had re College Quarterbacks in 2021. Joe Burrow was getting no hype except in the 2018/2019 season. Was he a one year wonder? Doesn't really look like it. I don't pay that much attention to any college teams so don't know if there's a Joe Burrow around this year.

Hurts hasn't earned the right to be "the guy" regardless of whether or not the Birds draft a QB.

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not drafting a QB in the first round and not drafting a QB at all are two different things.  For that matter, we don't even know if a college QB will make a good run the second half of the season and elevate his draft status.  Time will tell.

8 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Certainly a good plan. The one cautionary thought I've had re College Quarterbacks in 2021. Joe Burrow was getting no hype except in the 2018/2019 season. Was he a one year wonder? Doesn't really look like it. I don't pay that much attention to any college teams so don't know if there's a Joe Burrow around this year.

Oh I get that but then there's nobody having a one year wonder type year is there... look some of these QBs in next year's draft could go on to be really good but right now nobody is really sure and that worries me.

8 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

:roll::wacko:

How in the world can you say this? 

Because that's my opinion. Because none of the QBs next year look particularly great. I may be proven wrong there but that's my opinion.

8 hours ago, Procus said:

Hurts hasn't earned the right to be "the guy" regardless of whether or not the Birds draft a QB.

No, I don't think so either.  But IMHO that still doesn't mean you need to reach on a QB unless you feel like he really is a special prospect.  This team needs upgrades at just about every position.  Could really use an elite DE.  Need to add a young elite CB prospect to begin grooming for life after Slay/Nelson.  Build the team around the QB first if the right guy isn't there and then let Minshew and Hurts engage in a true competition for 2022.  If at the end of next season there are as many questions around the position, grab one in 2023 (if the right guy is there).  That would be my plan, at least.  :-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You need to get a QB. No question.  Hurts isn’t it.  They’ll be QB’s that rise the draft rankings.  People didn’t see Mahomes becoming what he has.  Josh Allen.  Just punting on QB in the 2022 draft is silly.  

They really need to do their homework on QB prospects.  It would be huge for this franchise to grab a guy like Allen or Herbert that no one was thinking would be a top prospect in October before they were drafted.  The beauty of it is, they’d likely be able to do that with just the Miami pick and not give up multiple high picks.  I just have concerns about this team properly evaluating them.  Even if the scouts get it right Howie is likely to go rogue and take the guy HE has rated high on HIS board.  <_<

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, time2rock said:

They really need to do their homework on QB prospects.  It would be huge for this franchise to grab a guy like Allen or Herbert that no one was thinking would be a top prospect in October before they were drafted.  The beauty of it is, they’d likely be able to do that with just the Miami pick and not give up multiple high picks.  I just have concerns about this team properly evaluating them.  Even if the scouts get it right Howie is likely to go rogue and take the guy HE has rated high on HIS board.  <_<

I fear that's going to be an issue as long as the current brain trust is in place. JJAW is the current poster child.

22 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

I fear that's going to be an issue as long as the current brain trust is in place. JJAW is the current poster child.

Ditto Reagor (since it was rumored the scouts all had Jefferson as the guy they should have taken).  

4 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You need to get a QB. No question.  Hurts isn’t it.  They’ll be QB’s that rise the draft rankings.  People didn’t see Mahomes becoming what he has.  Josh Allen.  Just punting on QB in the 2022 draft is silly.  

And look I've said many times that yes I may very well be wrong. That there could be a QB in this class that's actually really good in the NFL. But my personal view is that I'm not seeing a future franchise QB and so i personally don't want them to draft a QB high. 

Can't say what Hurts DESERVES until the season is over. He may be thrust into a 2nd year as a starter simply because there isn't a good one to replace him with. We just don't know if a 2nd year as the starter will have been earned or just forced by default. We'll see.

22 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Can't say what Hurts DESERVES until the season is over. He may be thrust into a 2nd year as a starter simply because there isn't a good one to replace him with. We just don't know if a 2nd year as the starter will have been earned or just forced by default. We'll see.

Hurts never deserved a first season as a starter.  But if no one is available, then no one is available.  

On 10/20/2021 at 1:27 PM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

The only QB's raising their draft stock are Ridder and Pickett, but they'd still be a reach at top ten IMO. Just drafting one high for the sake of it is how you become the Cleveland Browns.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The only QB's raising their draft stock are Ridder and Pickett, but they'd still be a reach at top ten IMO. Just drafting one high for the sake of it is how you become the Cleveland Browns.

^^^^

THIS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/20/2021 at 10:05 AM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yep.  If Miami and the Eagles keep on this track, we could wait until our pick to take that QB.  Who in the top 5 is going to take a QB?  Houston is the only one I can think of.  

Guessing Houston will eventually move Watson (or he'll be suspended) so I agree, I think it is likely they'll be targeting one.  I could see Detroit wanting one (I don't think Goff is a franchise QB and will lead them anywhere ... he's definitely a downgrade from Stafford).  Maybe the Giants will be in the market.  Maybe Atlanta.  And obviously teams are usually wanting to trade up ... Carolina?  WFT?  Denver?  Pittsburgh?  Minnesota?   

On 10/21/2021 at 2:51 PM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That’s like 8 teams you listed in the top 5.  Again.  Who in the top 5. Maybe NYG. Maybe not.  I don’t believe the Redskins will be there.  No chance Detroit makes that trade only to draft one in the top 5 the next year.  Carolina won’t just after they traded for Darnold.  Minnesota won’t be in the top 5. Miami would (if they don’t get Watson) but we have their pick because they’re dumb. Pittsburgh should but won’t be in the top 5.  Same with ATL.  So if someone emerges, like Josh Allen, Mahomes, Burrows etc.then we would have a great shot.  But obviously that’s not likely.  What I don’t want is to GIVE Hurts another year because this draft class is low at QB.  I’d rather go with Minshew if that were the case.  

Detroit made the trade to acquire picks - I’d have to say they are most definitely in the conversation.  And I was listing teams that could end up in the top 5 either by virtue of being really bad this year or via trade up that could be targeting a QB.  Many times teams picking a QB early are trading up to get into position to grab him.