NFL Insider Responds to Eagles Coach Being on ‘Hot Seat’

time2rock

NFL Insider Responds to Eagles Coach Being on ‘Hot Seat’

• Updated Oct 18, 2021 at 3:33pm
Nick Sirianni

Getty:  Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni is holding himself accountable for the team's loss in Week 2.

Six games into the Nick Sirianni experience and there are already calls for his ouster. His unbalanced offensive play-calling has come under fire, as well as game management issues from the first-year head coach. All fixable things, but that won’t quiet the rumor mill from placing him on the proverbial "hot seat.”

Perhaps a vote of confidence from a plugged-in NFL reporter will shush the noise. Jay Glazer of FOX Sports gave an emphatic "no, not at all” answer when asked if Sirianni was in danger of being fired. The Philadelphia Eagles hold a 2-4 record – tied for second place in the NFC East – after losing four of their last five contests.

The schedule softens up a bit in the coming weeks, so there is hope for a turnaround. If not, Sirianni probably gets a pass in year one. Glazer said the following:

No. Not at all. Listen, he’s a first-year head coach there, and I know Philadelphia is tough, but he’s not on the hot seat this early on. But that’s what happens in Philly, right? Just want to say, ‘Oh my gosh, we’re losing,’ but no. They’re not going to fire him after year one

Sirianni Takes Blame for Poor Play-Calling

The run-to-pass ratio has been an issue in Philly dating back to Andy Reid’s tenure. It is the first thing fans start to question and point at when the Eagles are losing games. Sirianni’s play-calling through six contests has made the running game an after-thought.

And Miles Sanders has been a ghost. He rushed nine times for 56 yards in Week 6 to raise his total rushes this season to 57. That’s only 9.5 carries per game. He also has 18 receptions on 23 targets. Not enough.

"There’s no doubt we’ve gotta get the ball to Miles more,” Sirianni told SportsRadio 94WIP, "and we gotta be more balanced pass and run. I get their frustration. And like I said, we’re doing everything we can to fix that.”

greger.PNG.a2ebbf31e6843671892c66e16c86076a.PNG

Compare that to 53 rushes for quarterback Jalen Hurts. Not acceptable. And Sirianni knows it.

"Well, when you’re not playing good on offense that’s the first place that the fans should look, is the play caller, and what he is calling and if it’s working or not,” Sirianni told Angelo Cataldi. "And right now, these last few games in particularly, we’ve been bad on offense, there’s no hiding it, there’s no question about it. So I understand their frustration.”

Sanders Making Most of Limited Touches

The weirdest part of the grounded run game is that Sanders isn’t playing poorly. He has 270 yards in six games while picking up 4.7 yards a clip. The third-year running back has every right to complain about his lack of involvement, but it’s not in his nature to do that. After a Week 3 beatdown in Dallas – one in which Sanders received just two carries – the running back seemed resigned to his role.

greger2.PNG.663361ce8fd7928028640323c39efd11.PNG

"I can only control what I can control,” Sanders said, via Pro Football Talk. "And the way the game was pretty much out of hand early, I can see why the game plan or whatever they had planned didn’t go as planned.” Later, he noted: "I do believe to have a successful offense, you have to run the ball.”

https://heavy.com/sports/philadelphia-eagles/nick-sirianni-hot-seat/

The Head Coach of the Philadelphia Eagles is an Offensive Coach and never called plays before. He should've been doing it for 5+ years as a coordinator. He was fast tracked and skipped right over that extremely necessary developmental phase. He's in a position where he can do that now, and is showing himself as the novice play caller he is. If he is ever going to be a good play caller, he needs to make all of the developmental mistakes associated with that growth. Check back in 5 seasons and we'll see how much better he is...if at all.

Oh and it's the same thing with overseeing game planning. 

Sometimes, and by that I mean most of the time, fast tracking people through positions without hands-on and experienced oversight is a mistake. There's no adequate substitute for experience, none. This kid Head Coach the Eagles have is leading a staff of inexperienced coaches (other than O-line) each of whom will, at times, need to turn to him for critical guidance that he is incapable of providing due to his own inexperience. 

Howie built this roster and coaching staff. He has assembled a group of coaches that due to inexperience, is more likely to fail than to succeed. Howie should experience the consequences of executing that absurd plan. This team needs a much, much better GM. Not only is Howie a poor performer in the draft, a kick the can down the road salary cap manager, he's not capable of building a top notch coaching staff. In 3 of the 5 most critical areas of GM performance, Howie gets an F. The Eagles must do lightyears better than this if they hope to win another SB.

That responsibility falls to Jeffrey Lurie and that's where the fans' hope dies...he simply won't do what he must. 

• Like 1

He's won 2 games, he's probably going to end up winning 5-7 games with a roster that we know is flawed. So yeah he's not on the hot seat right now despite how bad this team, and especially this offense, has looked so far. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's won 2 games, he's probably going to end up winning 5-7 games with a roster that we know is flawed. So yeah he's not on the hot seat right now despite how bad this team, and especially this offense, has looked so far. 

This is like the chicken/egg debate … is Sirianni hamstrung with what he can do with the offense because of the limitations with the QB or is Hurts not able to show what he is really capable of because of Sirianni’s piss poor play calling and bad scheme overall.  

My guess is, it is somewhere in the middle (it is a combo of both).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

This is like the chicken/egg debate … is Sirianni hamstrung with what he can do with the offense because of the limitations with the QB or is Hurts not able to show what he is really capable of because of Sirianni’s piss poor play calling and bad scheme overall.  

My guess is, it is somewhere in the middle (it is a combo of both).

Yeah I'd agree. I think if you look at some plays there are open guys that Hurts is just missing and not looking at. But at the same time I don't think Sirianni is helping his young QB and his scheme doesn't look particularly creative. 

• Like 1