Aidan Hutchinson (Michigan EDGE) -- DRAFTED BY DETROIT #2

Ray75

I’d seriously consider trading our own, the Dolphins pick and Dillard (and possibly a future mid-late rounder) to the Jags to get Hutch.

DE is arguably our biggest need and Hutch a perfect fit plus we’d still have multiple draft picks including another first to address other holes. 

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

I’d seriously consider trading our own, the Dolphins pick and Dillard (and possibly a future mid-late rounder) to the Jags to get Hutch.

DE is arguably our biggest need and Hutch a perfect fit plus we’d still have multiple draft picks including another first to address other holes. 

So why Hutchinson? Why not Thibodeaux anymore? I'm just a little cautious is all. For a long long time Thibodeaux was seen as by far and away the best talent in the draft. 

By the way I'm not questioning the call I'm just asking why. 

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So why Hutchinson? Why not Thibodeaux anymore? I'm just a little cautious is all. For a long long time Thibodeaux was seen as by far and away the best talent in the draft. 

By the way I'm not questioning the call I'm just asking why. 

FYI Thibodeaux was NEVER my No.1 pass rusher to be honest. Hutch is and has been my No.1 prospect from the get go.

Thibodeaux is the high upside, Hutch the more plug and play guy. I’d take the latter.

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

FYI Thibodeaux was NEVER my No.1 pass rusher to be honest. Hutch is and has been my No.1 prospect from the get go.

Thibodeaux is the high upside, Hutch the more plug and play guy. I’d take the latter.

Ditto.  And as stupid as this may sound, I also have some reservations about Thibodeaux simply because he comes from the PAC-12.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Ditto.  And as stupid as this may sound, I also have some reservations about Thibodeaux simply because he comes from the PAC-12.  

Would you do it? Trading our own, the Dolphins pick and Dillard (and possibly a future mid-late rounder) to the Jags to get Hutch.

3 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Would you do it? Trading our own, the Dolphins pick and Dillard (and possibly a future mid-late rounder) to the Jags to get Hutch.

Nope

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Thibodeaux kind of scares me. I can't help but think of Dion Jordan.  I'd rather get Hutchinson and pay a little more in compensation or just stay put than trade up for Thobodeaux.

I would likely never entertain the idea of giving up multiple 1s for any player other than a QB. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, time2rock said:

I would likely never entertain the idea of giving up multiple 1s for any player other than a QB. 

In every other year, I’m with you. 2022 is not that. You have not 1 but 3 first rounders.

If you stay put, you likely won’t be able to draft premium talent. All those blue chip prospects will be off the board and you’ll have to settle for 2nd or even 3rd tier talent depending on where you’re picking.

The argument is not specifically about trading up for Hutch, it’s about giving up possibly premium draft assets, to trade up into the top 10 for one of those blue chip prospects. 

The trade up for Hutch proposal is just an extreme example. We had to trade up for Smith, Fletch etc to secure them. If we’re unlucky draft slot wise, we won’t even have a top 15 pick and might have to do it again in april for say a Karlaftis, Ojabo, Stingley or Hamilton (if the latter two slightly fall). 

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

In every other year, I’m with you. 2022 is not that. You have not 1 but 3 first rounders.

If you stay put, you likely won’t be able to draft premium talent. All those blue chip prospects will be off the board and you’ll have to settle for 2nd or even 3rd tier talent depending on where you’re picking.

The argument is not specifically about trading up for Hutch, it’s about giving up possibly premium draft assets, to trade up into the top 10 for one of those blue chip prospects. 

The trade up for Hutch proposal is just an extreme example. We had to trade up for Smith, Fletch etc to secure them. If we’re unlucky draft slot wise, we won’t even have a top 15 pick and might have to do it again in april for say a Karlaftis, Ojabo, Stingley or Hamilton (if the latter two slightly fall). 

If you are talking about a small trade up like the Smith trade, ok. Might give up a third if you really believe in a player!

But if you talk about two firsts for a guy I’m out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infam said:

If you are talking about a small trade up like the Smith trade, ok. Might give up a third if you really believe in a player!

But if you talk about two firsts for a guy I’m out.

Let’s say you’re picking at 15 and 17 and you want to secure a specific prospect you know will not be there when you’re on the clock and you need to trade up into that 8 to 12 range to get him. Yeah, I’d give a 3rd and change. Knowing the Eagles it’ll likely be for a DE but imagine someone like Stingley or Hamilton slipping.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Let’s say you’re picking at 15 and 17 and you want to secure a specific prospect you know will not be there when you’re on the clock and you need to trade up into that 8 to 12 range to get him. Yeah, I’d give a 3rd and change. Knowing the Eagles it’ll likely be for a DE but imagine someone like Stingley or Hamilton slipping.

Yeah I'd give up a third to move up a couple of spots no doubt especially to get a player we really like. With 4 players in the first 2 rounds (as things stand) that gives us a great opportunity to move around and use some of those mid round picks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

15 band 17 maybe gets you to 4.  To get to 1 where he is currently projected to go you'd have to throw in another 1 and more.  You'd be nuts to consider something like that.  

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

15 band 17 maybe gets you to 4.  To get to 1 where he is currently projected to go you'd have to throw in another 1 and more.  You'd be nuts to consider something like that.  

It’s not about Hutch or getting into the top 5. It’s about how far would you be willing to trade up for a specific prospect considering you have 3 first rounders.

You know what kind of prospects you’re getting in that 15-25 range. Different tier than in that, say, 8-12 range. Would you give up a 3rd or even more to get there?

Say for a Karlaftis, Ojabo or even Stingley or Hamilton if they slide...

41 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

It’s not about Hutch or getting into the top 5. It’s about how far would you be willing to trade up for a specific prospect considering you have 3 first rounders.

You know what kind of prospects you’re getting in that 15-25 range. Different tier than in that, say, 8-12 range. Would you give up a 3rd or even more to get there?

Say for a Karlaftis, Ojabo or even Stingley or Hamilton if they slide...

I don't know how many different ways I need to say it ... but I am not giving up multiple 1s for any player other than a QB (not that it matters what I would do lol).

31 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don't know how many different ways I need to say it ... but I am not giving up multiple 1s for any player other than a QB (not that it matters what I would do lol).

You clearly are not listening. We’re not even talking about trading the farm to get into the top 5. We’re talking about trading up from say 15 to 10.

20 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

You clearly are not listening. We’re not even talking about trading the farm to get into the top 5. We’re talking about trading up from say 15 to 10.

Hutch is likely top 3 (if not 1st overall).  But wherever he falls, I am not giving up multiple 1s.  If I only had to give up a 3 or something like that to get him, then so be it.  But a 1 and a 2 or more than that, I'm out.  

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Hutch is likely top 3 (if not 1st overall).  But wherever he falls, I am not giving up multiple 1s.  If I only had to give up a 3 or something like that to get him, then so be it.  But a 1 and a 2 or more than that, I'm out.  

Okay, back to square one. Forget Hutch!

Assume you want a pass rusher and Thibodeaux and Hutch are long gone. You’re picking at 15 and 17 and fear Karlaftis and Ojabo won’t make it there. Would you give up a 3rd and change to trade up to 10-12 to snag either?

Another...imagine either Stingley or Hamilton slipping and still on the board in that 8-12 range. What would you give up to grab either?!

Bottom line; would you rather stay put and see who’s available or trade up a couple of spots for a Karlaftis/Ojabo or are you comfortable taking someone like Enagbare, Johnson or Sanders at 15, 17 or in the twenties? There is a drop off and DE arguably our most dire need IMO. 

56 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Say we wind up with 12/15/19 (maybe optimistic), I probably be most interested improving our last pick. The top-15 is generally pretty solid in every draft. Factoring in the obligatory QB picks, a 3rd round pick might get us into that higher strata.

12 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Say we wind up with 12/15/19 (maybe optimistic), I probably be most interested improving our last pick. The top-15 is generally pretty solid in every draft. Factoring in the obligatory QB picks, a 3rd round pick might get us into that higher strata.

I think that’s optimistic yes. Either we or the Dolphins have to lose out for that.

I’m leaning towards Eagles either sneaking in or barely miss the play-offs and Miami missing it with a 9-8 record.

That would give us something like pick 16 and 17.

I believe it’s fair to say we have to address DE pretty early. Both Thibodeaux and Hutchinson will be taken in the top 5. The next best pass rushers in Ojabo and Karlaftis are projected to get taken somewhere between pick 5 and 15. It’s up to the Eagles to determine if the drop off from Karlaftis and Ojabo to the likes of Sanders, Enagbare and Johnson is significant. If so, the Eagles can’t take the risk missing out on either Ojabo or Karlaftis if the price to move up is only a 3rd and maybe a late rounder.

If you take the Eagles tendencies into account, you and I both know it’s either going to be OL, DL, QB or WR. They’ve taken a receiver in the first two years in a row, Hurts might be good enough for now since the QB class is lackluster and other than Green or Linderbaum there is no IOL-man worthy taking in that 10-20 range. Based on that I believe they’ll target a pass rusher with their first pick.

4 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I think that’s optimistic yes. Either we or the Dolphins have to lose out for that.

I’m leaning towards Eagles either sneaking in or barely miss the play-offs and Miami missing it with a 9-8 record.

I believe it’s fair to say we have to address DE pretty early. Both Thibodeaux and Hutchinson will be taken in the top 5. The next best pass rushers in Ojabo and Karlaftis are projected to get taken somewhere between pick 5 and 15. It’s up to the Eagles to determine if the drop off from Karlaftis and Ojabo to the likes of Sanders, Enagbare and Johnson is significant. If so, the Eagles can’t take the risk missing out on either Ojabo or Karlaftis if the price to move up is only a 3rd and maybe a late rounder.

If you take the Eagles tendencies into account, you and I both know it’s either going to be OL, DL, QB or WR. They’ve taken a receiver in the first two years in a row, Hurts might be good enough for now since the QB class is lackluster and other than Green or Linderbaum there is no IOL-man worthy taking in that 10-20 range. Based on that I believe they’ll target a pass rusher with their first pick.

Not that sold on Karlaftis or Ojabo.

But I sure would trade up for Leal!

23 minutes ago, Infam said:

Not that sold on Karlaftis or Ojabo.

But I sure would trade up for Leal!

I love Leal but although we’ve seen him play on the outside, I feel his best fit at the next level will be at DT in a 4-3. I view him as a possible Fletcher Cox heir, not someone who can replace BG.

Ojabo has incredible upside but is pretty raw. With Karlaftis it’s "what you see is what you get”. A solid edge rusher but nothing more.

Orher names to keep an eye out at DE for the Eagles; Kingsley Enagbare and Jermaine Johnson II.

10 hours ago, Kwahu said:

Looking really average if not outmatched against Georgia tonight. Not a top 5 performance at all.

The SEC is where you'll find the most NFL caliber players, players from the other conferences fall in a "buyer beware" category.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 5:14 PM, Ray75 said:

I asked you a similar question in another thread. For me I am hoping the Pats beat the Dolphins and we end up with a pick around 12. I would use a third to get Karlaftis, Stingley Jr or Hamilton.