Eagles Coordinator Addresses Miles Sanders: ‘Don’t Really Know’

time2rock

Eagles Coordinator Addresses Miles Sanders: ‘Don’t Really Know’

• Updated Oct 20, 2021 at 11:30am
Shane Steichen

Getty:  Eagles offensive coordinator Shane Steichen needs to get his playmakers more involved in the Philly offense.

It’s one thing to throw the ball more than you run it. That’s not the main issue hindering the Philadelphia Eagles’ offense. The team has been relying too much on RPOs over designed runs, another way the coaching staff has put the brakes on their Ferrari.

Miles Sanders – their Ferrari, in this case – had nine carries for 56 yards in Week 6, down from 11 rushes in Week 5 and 15 in Week 1. Head coach Nick Sirianni’s argument on not getting his feature back involved early in games has been that the Eagles have been trailing a lot this season. It’s a fair point, but doesn’t explain why Sanders only had one touch in the first half against Tampa Bay. When the Eagles finally started mounting a comeback late, it was on the strength of Sanders’ legs. He needs to eat.

But who is to blame? Sirianni or Jalen Hurts? Quarterback Jalen Hurts has the option to hand it off or throw a quick pass on those RPOs. One easy solution is to run a more traditional offense and call more designed runs for Sanders. They could start by putting Hurts under center instead of in the shotgun on almost every play.

Offensive coordinator Shane Steichen acknowledged the need to get Sanders "going” during his media availability on Tuesday, October 19, adding that sometimes the "naked eye” can’t tell.

"We popped some late in the game where he popped them, and those could have been called runs, they could have been RPOs,” Steichen said. "From the naked eye just looking at it, you don’t really know. Not trying to get too schemey with it, but Miles is a heck of a back and we’ve got to get him going.”

greger.JPG.40313fd4438bee7241ef47a424168726.JPG

Getting Quez Watkins, Other Playmakers Going

Sanders isn’t the only weapon the Eagles need to detonate moving forward. Quez Watkins has exploded in limited targets, 3.6 per game – and the speedy receiver needs to be a focal part of the offense. He ranks second on the team in receiving yards (311) and fifth in the entire NFL in yards-per-catch (19.4).

Steichen referred to a third-down conversion from Watkins against Carolina in Week 5. The completion went for 53 yards and put the Eagles in striking distance. They scored a touchdown on that drive and eventually won the game. More Watkins is necessary, per Steichen. Ditto for DeVonta Smith and Dallas Goedert.

"Quez has got big play ability,” the offensive coordinator said. "Obviously, DeVonta is a big-time player, Dallas is a big-time player, Miles is a big-time player. As much as we can get everyone involved, we want to do that.”

Replacing Zach Ertz at Tight End

Goedert will see increased snaps following Zach Ertz’s departure. He was already the starter there, but the snaps were being shared. Not anymore. Steichen confirmed that Goedert would have a much bigger role while singling out Jack Stoll, Tyree Jackson, Noah Togiai. It’s going to be a collective effort at tight end, with Goedert leading the way.

greger2.JPG.bdd069c5b7f1913a35e25207b55b0cf0.JPG

"I think Dallas will do a heck of a job,” Steichen said. "He’s explosive, he’s got really good hands, he’s strong, he’s powerful, he’s good in the run game. So, really excited about Dallas moving forward.”

Steichen also made sure to thank Ertz for his professionalism and leadership in their brief time together.

"I just want to wish Zach the best,” Steichen said. "Being around him the short time that I was during training camp and these first six weeks, he was an ultimate pro, did everything you wanted, studied the game, loved the game, worked hard and I wish him nothing but the best.”

greger3.JPG.269e36629f756e48600eddeb3a26f2aa.JPG

https://heavy.com/sports/philadelphia-eagles/shane-steichen-miles-sanders/

Whatever excuse they try will fail. They don't call runs because they don't want to. From the top down, they all want to throw it all day, and they are both blind and in denial when it proves a failed strategy on game day. They'll just keep doing it over and over and over again expecting a different result. We've seen this under 4 Head Coaches in a row now. The problem is systemic, driven by what looks like a religious worshipping of incomplete data, and clearly starts at the top. 

• Like 3

On 10/21/2021 at 6:20 PM, PoconoDon said:

Whatever excuse they try will fail

There's no excuse that can make them sound smart on this situation let's be honest. Unless they tell the truth (that it is coming down from the top) and that is just going to get them fired.

The game planning and play calling is entirely on Sirianni.  It seems they don't know how to use the skill players like Watkins, Sander or especially Reagor.  

When Sirianni was hired, I heard all the time that he would run the ball, that his offense would show alot of motion and create mismatches.....which we've seen little of....

There is ZERO excuse for the lack of a running game. Yeah, they've been behind, but not by so much that they run the ball once or twice in the first have and a few more in the 2nd.

Reagor is almost completely ignored,  Sanders and Scott are brutally underutilized and most of all, Hurts has been hampered by the play calling. It puts way too much pressure on a kid who is clearly still in a hard learning curve.

It's baffling......but sometimes it looks like Sirianni has been instructed to put as much on Hurts as possible, like Roseman is evaluating him to decide on another QB this offseason.

It's hurting the team, it's hurting Hurts and it's going to make Sanders want to get out of town.....the "new" old browns.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

or especially Reagor.  

Don't agree bud. Reagor is just a bad bad player. This isn't about not using him properly. This isn't about not scheming him in to the game. He's just not a good player.

29 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Don't agree bud. Reagor is just a bad bad player. This isn't about not using him properly. This isn't about not scheming him in to the game. He's just not a good player.

I’ve been on record since the very moment the pick was made that Howie made a huge mistake taking him.  People like to talk about JJAW over Metcalf but IMO this was much more egregious.  Every team other than Seattle passed on Metcalf … twice.  And it is much less painful taking a risk and missing on a player at the end of the 2nd rd (than it is a player in the 1st).  I fear we’re never going to be in a position to legitimately compete for another champions so long as he is at the top of the talent evaluation/acquisition processes.  We’re bound to continue seeing the same dumbarse mistakes over and over.  It certainly puts a damper on my excitement over having so many premium picks next April.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

I’ve been on record since the very moment the pick was made that Howie made a huge mistake taking him.  People like to talk about JJAW over Metcalf but IMO this was much more egregious.  Every team other than Seattle passed on Metcalf … twice.  And it is much less painful taking a risk and missing on a player at the end of the 2nd rd (than it is a player in the 1st).  I fear we’re never going to be in a position to legitimately compete for another champions so long as he is at the top of the talent evaluation/acquisition processes.  We’re bound to continue seeing the same dumbarse mistakes over and over.  It certainly puts a damper on my excitement over having so many premium picks next April.  

Oh you are absolutely right mate. I mean sure we won the SB with Howie as GM but I think that was so much luck. I mean the stars really did align and it was incredible but Howie does not know how to build a roster. And he's got a huge job on his hands to rebuild this roster and I just do not think he can do it. 

This is a college RPO offense. It has no place in the pros. Play action is similar to the RPO and much more effective,but to do that you need to establish a running game which CANNOT be done in an RPO offense unless a run play is SPECIFICALLY called in. IDK why we wasted a pick on Gainwell. May as well trade Sanders and use Scott for as much as we run the ball. The O line has to stay put in pass pro ALL the time. After a 5 count they head downfield for the "Hurts is running again" re-run(thus the illegal linemen downfield calls). This is the same boring, predictable offense Chip tried to run here. RUSH Hurts,seal the ends and we're basically all done because we cannot complete passes over 8 yards. We are easy to defend with the 6 plays we run. getting speed demon WR's was also a waste of time,because of noodle arm Hurts. This team was built for WENTZ. Hurts was drafted as a BACK UP, and that's what we are getting

So Howie,in his infinite "I am the smartest guy in the room", has told everyone to emulate that Hurts Oklahoma offense(LMAO). This is not going to end well and it's not going well now,nor will it get any better. We need a football guy at GM, not a contract guy. He has Lurie totally snowed in. We are totally destroying any WR development because,the route trees are mere bushes and will remain so under this weak QB. Smith should be putting up BIG numbers. He will have his share of rook mistakes,they all do,but with 3 routes Hurts can hit,there will be no learning process until we trade them away to a team with a QB who can pass for 50 yards in the air and do it accurately

• Like 1