What they're saying: No way to fix these Eagles after 'organization-wide embarrassment'

time2rock

When Roseman resumed his GM duties after the Chip Kelly debacle, that Lurie created with his pursuit of Kelly, he brought the team back, orchestrated the move up the draft to get Wentz, then he signed some 2nd tier free agents that had significant contributions to the super bowl win.  

Lurie LOVED the national attention and standing on that podium with the trophy....all the adulation of the city, the parade and the biggest accomplishment, in his mind, of the gold standard he claimed the eagle organization was........and he credited most of that to Roseman.

Granted, Roseman did some crazy things that really worked out....the team won the super bowl with major injuries and a back up QB......Roseman won Executive of the year in the NFL.....and  with Wentz coming back from injury, he thought the eagles could make a serious run at a 2nd championship.  Roseman continued to sign vets to one year contracts, looking to capitalize on one last good year, the draft was good, but didn't provide any starters and needed development.     But Reich and Defilippo left for other teams, and the injuries continued to mount, Wentz struggled when he came back, the free agents contributed little and the rookies simply weren't ready to step in.....

But Lurie was convinced that Roseman had found the formula but injuries and Wentz struggling sidetracked it.  But he remains convinced even as Roseman's formula clearly wasn't working.........then the tension with Pedersen and Wentz......the questionable draft picks of 2019 that have contributed little....and then 2020 with the inexplicable draft picks, the reaches and the unbelievably bad year from Wentz, all seemed to be pinned on Pedersen.

Pedersen was responsible for much of the blame.....the poor development of the draft picks, the tension with Wentz, struggling with playcalling without Reich, and interference from Roseman/Lurie sure didn't help.  And Lurie has what many other owners had, the high powered offense bug......hiring young, offensive minded coaches looking for that lighting in a bottle guy who could transform the offense. 

Roseman knows that the weight of the contracts he gave out to declining vets, the big contract to a struggling Wentz, the unproductive draft picks and the "one year prove it" deals that didn't prove it, all contributed to the mess we're in.....compounded by a QB controversy and problem that never should have happened.

But Lurie still has that super bowl run in his head.....convinced that they can do it again, despite all he has seen for the last 2 years. And Roseman gets that credit from Lurie.....which may take a few more years for the shine to wear off......

I hope not. Not sure I can stick around this Zoo much longer. I have been an Eagles fan for 30 plus years and am getting tired of a haphazard run organization. I have friends life long Eagles fans that refuse to watch a game until HR goes. I cannot blame them as he is wearing on me also....

There is a way to fix the 'organization wide" embarrassment.  But not for this year, and it'll take Lurie to start it....and it'll take a couple of years for the eagles to be serious contenders.

Firing Roseman and the coaching staff would take alot of time to find competent replacements, especially now that the organization has this negative reputation.   And there is always a scramble for new coaches at the end of the year.

What a f------- mess they've become........

22 hours ago, stine said:

I am not saying we should trade for Wilson. I was just pointing out we could do so with that one pick. Another option would be to trade that pick for more capital. I am sure they could grab a later pick in round 1 plus at least an additional 1st rounder and 2nd rounder in 2023. I guess it all depends on who the other team is.... I have seen teams get 3 number 1 picks and a couple others in addition.... We could really build a solid team with all those picks plus possibly get our QB in 2023...

I've pretty much said the exact same in numerous threads here, that they should trade down using one of their 1s ... move down to late 1st and grab a 2023 1st and possibly a 2022 2nd or 3rd in the process.  That leaves us with a tremendous amount of draft picks to use this year (would still have three 1s, but one of them would be late 1st now after trade down, plus two 2s and a 3 or a 2 and two 3s) and sets up nicely for the following draft in case we want to make a move for a QB then instead of next April.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, time2rock said:

I've pretty much said the exact same in numerous threads here, that they should trade down using one of their 1s ... move down to late 1st and grab a 2023 1st and possibly a 2022 2nd or 3rd in the process.  That leaves us with a tremendous amount of draft picks to use this year (would still have three 1s, but one of them would be late 1st now after trade down, plus two 2s or a 2 and two 3s) and sets up nicely for the following draft in case we want to make a move for a QB then instead of next April.  

I'd agree with that. I wouldn't take a QB in the next draft but I'd position myself to get one in 2023. And at the same time I'd pick up extra draft capital in 2022 and 2023 as this needs to be a 2-3 year rebuild before this team can even think about being even near a contender.