Denzel Mims says he was “very scared” when he first visited Philadelphia

Procus

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/4/20/21227990/denzel-mims-very-scared-first-visited-philadelphia-nfl-draft-2020-wide-receiver-baylor-first-round

Denzel Mims says he was "very scared” when he first visited Philadelphia

NFL Draft prospect saw "a lot of people that look scary.”

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Apr 20, 2020, 12:12pm EDT

Baylor v Kansas

Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Denzel Mims has been frequently linked to the Philadelphia Eagles leading up to the 2020 NFL Draft. The Baylor wide receiver has done multiple radio interviews where he’s said the Eagles are among the teams showing the most interest in him. There’s some thought he could and should be the pick at No. 21.

If Mims is indeed selected by the Eagles, his next trip to Philly will likely go better than his first. Check out what Mims had to say when asked about his experience previously visiting the city with former Temple and former Baylor head coach Matt Rhule, via an interview with Inside The Birds:

"I went with a couple teammates and my head coach. We went up there and just spent a lot of time together. And the experience I had, I was very scared. I wasn’t familiar with the whole city and, um, it was a lot going on. You see a lot of people that look scary. And, you know, I’m not part of that, I don’t like that. I mean, I had a bad experience, you could say, going up there that first time. But I feel like if I go there more and if I get familiar with it, I’ll have a great time.”

Interesting answer.

Perhaps Mims just wasn’t used to being in a big city. He’s a native of Daingerfield, Texas, which the internet tells me has a population of 2,380. Baylor’s campus is located in Waco, Texas, which has a population around 138,000. That’s obviously still much smaller than the 1.5 million people located in Philly.

While Mims might not been so keen on the city life, he did have good things to say Philly’s NFL team.

"As far as the coaching staff, I feel like the coaching staff is great, I feel like they’re unbelievable. I feel like they’re the same kind of coaching staff that I had at Baylor. Very loving, cares about you, and just wants the best for you. And so I feel like if I go there it’d be a great fit for me because I feel like I’m home with them.”

Mims’ stock has seemingly rose throughout the pre-draft process. Draftniks were talking about him as a Day 2 or Day 3 prospect at the Senior Bowl and now there’s buzz that he’s going in the first round. BGN’s Michael Kist has Mims as his fourth ranked receiver in this year’s class.

I think Mims has really done everything he can since the season was over to answer questions about his game. For instance, Baylor had him run a very limited route tree and he comes out for the Senior Bowl and nobody can cover him on a variety of routes.

If you were wondering about his deep speed, he shuts that up by running a 4.38. He’s got some real stiffness in his hips on film, like, they don’t move, it’s kind of comical, but he checks in with a 90th percentile 3-cone so he’s even got you questioning what you thought you knew.

Now Mims is a legit track athlete at 6’3” 207 and I think he mastered the technique in those drills so those times may be a bit misleading, especially the 3-cone, but there isn’t a box that he hasn’t checked and wide receiver coaches are going to be raving about his ceiling...”

There’s still some projection involved with Mims, but if he can continue on this track you’ve got a game-changer that can be effective from both "Z” and "X” alignments. His elite athletic profile and prototypical size should equal a first round selection.

Others aren’t so sold on Mims as a Day 1 guy. Former NFL personnel executives like Daniel Jeremiah and Gil Brandt, for example, have Mims as their 46th and 49th ranked prospect, respectively. In that vein, Mims could be considered a reach at No. 21.

We’ll soon see if Mims is the guy the Eagles truly want or if they go in a different direction at receiver. The Baylor product just might have to get used to playing in a city that contains "a lot of people that look scary.”

Seems like a wimp. Can’t come out and say you were scared of the people. Cmon man your 6-3 ~205 lbs and faster than almost anyone on the street. Plus he plays physical on the field. 

• Like 2

If he thought he was scared then, he better never show up in a Cowboys uniform.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I had concerns about Mims before this draft and those comments are even more alarming. Are you kidding me?  Most college players want to play for a rabid fan base because it reminds them of college.  If he can't take seeing a few nut jobs on a short trip there, then how can he handle the criticism that comes from playing in a big city?  

What an odd thing to say. And I’m still not entirely sure what he means. 

Out starting QB is from no where North Dakota.  

The most important QB in this franchise’s history is from no where Texas who looks like he couldn’t hurt a fly.

They both seemed to be doing just fine.

2 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

I had concerns about Mims before this draft and those comments are even more alarming. Are you kidding me?  Most college players want to play for a rabid fan base because it reminds them of college.  If he can't take seeing a few nut jobs on a short trip there, then how can he handle the criticism that comes from playing in a big city?  

1 bad game, no, 1 drop and he will be in the fetal position after the fans are done with him....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Seems like a wimp. Can’t come out and say you were scared of the people. Cmon man your 6-3 ~205 lbs and faster than almost anyone on the street. Plus he plays physical on the field. 

Dude from the country. I'd be scared too if I can from the south and saw all these ugly folks up here lol.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

I'm guessing he ran into a few unsavory types with beards that looked like they may have been packing some heat. Just checked... sounds like he was in North Philly. Horrible tour guide lol. Last time I was in North Philly my car got shot up while it was parked. So fear validated.

14 minutes ago, judunno said:

I'm guessing he ran into a few unsavory types with beards that looked like they may have been packing some heat. Just checked... sounds like he was in North Philly. Horrible tour guide lol. Last time I was in North Philly my car got shot up while it was parked. So fear validated.

Many players come from small towns and don't say that. His agent needs to help him learn how to rephrase things so it doesn't appear like he doesn't want to play for teams.  Very poor wording.  He at least made positive comments about the coaches. But, the last thing a player should do is make comments that makes it appear that he doesn't want to play for the city.  And, if he is scared by that, then how is he going to feel having to run a crossing pattern close to where Bobby Wagner is?

3 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Many players come from small towns and don't say that. His agent needs to help him learn how to rephrase things so it doesn't appear like he doesn't want to play for teams.  Very poor wording.  He at least made positive comments about the coaches. But, the last thing a player should do is make comments that makes it appear that he doesn't want to play for the city.  And, if he is scared by that, then how is he going to feel having to run a crossing pattern close to where Bobby Wagner is?

I think you're reading too much into it. The streets have nothing to do with football. Ever got caught in a place you weren't supposed to be in a neighborhood that happens to be dangerous where no one knows you. Not a good feeling. Clearly he had a bad experience. I don't care how big or fast you are with the way gun sales are peaking these days everybody got heat. At least he has a sense of preservation to know that he could be in danger in North Philly lol. Smart guy in my book.

1 minute ago, judunno said:

I think you're reading too much into it. The streets have nothing to do with football. Ever got caught in a place you weren't supposed to be in a neighborhood that happens to be dangerous where no one knows you. Not a good feeling. Clearly he had a bad experience. I don't care how big or fast you are with the way gun sales are peaking these days everybody got heat. At least he has a sense of preservation to know that he could be in danger in North Philly lol. Smart guy in my book.

Then, he would be better off just saying what happened.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Then, he would be better off just saying what happened.  

Snitches get stitches. That's the code fool. 🙂  Think about it though why else would someone be scared in Philly? I don't think they took him to the Art Museum. Probably got lost looking for Max's lol.

4 minutes ago, judunno said:

Snitches get stitches. That's the code fool. 🙂  Think about it though why else would someone be scared in Philly? I don't think they took him to the Art Museum. Probably got lost looking for Max's lol.

Then, he should've never said anything at all about being scared.😄   He can't be the only prospect over the years that had some kind of a rough issue visiting the city.  I just don't think it was smart to go there, especially a week before the draft.

2 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Then, he should've never said anything at all about being scared.😄   He can't be the only prospect over the years that had some kind of a rough issue visiting the city.  I just don't think it was smart to go there, especially a week before the draft.

I couldn't care less long as he balls out. He's a bully on the field. That's where it matters.

Aww diddums was Mims a little fwightened of the scary people in Philadelphia... Bless him. Better make sure he takes his Momma if he does end to in Philly. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Aww diddums was Mims a little fwightened of the scary people in Philadelphia... Bless him. Better make sure he takes his Momma if he does end to in Philly. 

He better not take his mom to North Philly for no good reason lol.

• Like 1