Eagles have now faced 5 of the league's top 6 passing offenses

jmac+djaxallday

And if you're wondering how we fared in those five games compared to the other four games they've played, well - let's just say the difference is quite stark.

Dal/KC/TB/LVR/LAC - 34.2 points, 427.4 yards allowed per game; 6.4 yards per play allowed; 5 total sacks

Atl/SF/Car/Det - 11.8 points, 265.3 yards allowed per game; 4.1 yards per play allowed; 12 total sacks

Frightening to think that it could have been much worse if we weren't so far behind in most of those games.  The Bucs and Raiders scores, especially, probably don't do justice to how lopsided those games were.

So what does this tell us?  I think it tells us that good quarterbacks are taking advantage of an inexperienced DC; and I think poor linebacker play tends to get exposed against smart quarterbacks who can change plays at the line.  Howie has constructed a very flawed roster full of one-dimensional players that either struggle against the run (Eric Wilson), the pass (Edwards), or everything (Singleton).

The good news is that most of the teams on our schedule the rest of the way rank towards the lower half of the league in passing.  Outside of one more game with Dallas (who could potentially be resting starters by the time we play them), there really aren't many competent quarterbacks stopping us from backing into that last wild card spot with an 8-9 record.  

Cue Jim Mora. There is no way in hell this team gets a playoff berth. And that is probably a good thing for them because they need high draft picks to restock this Defense across the board.

This team contributed mightily to those teams being 5 of the top 6. Not saying they aren't good teams, but they sure padded their stats because the D ished the bed.

• Like 2

Or is it:  have the Eagles really poor Defense contributed in helping those top offenses build such excessive stats, that this helps to carry them into the top category? 

7 hours ago, jmac+djaxallday said:

And if you're wondering how we fared in those five games compared to the other four games they've played, well - let's just say the difference is quite stark.

Dal/KC/TB/LVR/LAC - 34.2 points, 427.4 yards allowed per game; 6.4 yards per play allowed; 5 total sacks

Atl/SF/Car/Det - 11.8 points, 265.3 yards allowed per game; 4.1 yards per play allowed; 12 total sacks

Frightening to think that it could have been much worse if we weren't so far behind in most of those games.  The Bucs and Raiders scores, especially, probably don't do justice to how lopsided those games were.

So what does this tell us?  I think it tells us that good quarterbacks are taking advantage of an inexperienced DC; and I think poor linebacker play tends to get exposed against smart quarterbacks who can change plays at the line.  Howie has constructed a very flawed roster full of one-dimensional players that either struggle against the run (Eric Wilson), the pass (Edwards), or everything (Singleton).

The good news is that most of the teams on our schedule the rest of the way rank towards the lower half of the league in passing.  Outside of one more game with Dallas (who could potentially be resting starters by the time we play them), there really aren't many competent quarterbacks stopping us from backing into that last wild card spot with an 8-9 record.  

I think they can win out with how easy the remaining schedule is and how bad the remaining QBs are that they face.  8-9 is a pretty low bar.  I think they will end up 9-8 or 10-7.

The back 7 has been the weakness for years.  Howie using veteran band-aids and mid to late draft picks and scrubs isn't cutting it, and the Defensive Coordinator looks like he belongs coaching HS.  Schwartz was an experienced DC and he had mostly crap talent on the back 7.  The front 4 used to be a great strength but is a shell of its former self now.

Need new DC and to draft defensive positions with higher picks...too bad it's Howie making the picks.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NOTW said:

The back 7 has been the weakness for years.  Howie using veteran band-aids and mid to late draft picks and scrubs isn't cutting it, and the Defensive Coordinator looks like he belongs coaching HS.  Schwartz was an experienced DC and he had mostly crap talent on the back 7.  The front 4 used to be a great strength but is a shell of its former self now.

Need new DC and to draft defensive positions with higher picks...too bad it's Howie making the picks.

Yeah, that's just it....Howie has DL tunnel vision

47 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

Yeah, that's just it....Howie has DL tunnel vision

Not really - this has been the team's identity since the 90s. You win in the trenches..

The problem has been that they always had good to great CBs on the back end, and that is where Howie has completely failed.

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

Not really - this has been the team's identity since the 90s. You win in the trenches..

The problem has been that they always had good to great CBs on the back end, and that is where Howie has completely failed.

yes...the problem is that Howie just can't help himself....

example: If the #1 FS and the #2 DT  are both on the board...Howie will take the DT..because...Howie...unless the #2 WR is on the board, then that is the pick....because: Offense, Offense, Offense

this type of thinking has led them to ignore critical positions for far too long...which is also the point you are making, If I am correct in my synopsis.

17 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

yes...the problem is that Howie just can't help himself....

example: If the #1 FS and the #2 DT  are both on the board...Howie will take the DT..because...Howie...unless the #2 WR is on the board, then that is the pick....because: Offense, Offense, Offense

this type of thinking has led them to ignore critical positions for far too long...which is also the point you are making, If I am correct in my synopsis.

Sort of. I dont think he has valued the CB/S position as much as he should have. The Eagles once drafted 3 secondary players with their first three picks and hit on them all (Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown, Mike Lewis) because they put value on that position and it was an important part of JJ scheme. He liked to have CBs that could stick with the WRs but could also blitz when necessary.

I remember that many fans were up on arms about how the Eagles wasted their picks on these guys, that they already had Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent and Blaine Bishop, but they all sat on the bench, learned from these guys and then replaced them. That is what the Eagles have not done - drafted talented players that could sit there and learn before going out on the field from established vets.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Sort of. I dont think he has valued the CB/S position as much as he should have. The Eagles once drafted 3 secondary players with their first three picks and hit on them all (Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown, Mike Lewis) because they put value on that position and it was an important part of JJ scheme. He liked to have CBs that could stick with the WRs but could also blitz when necessary.

I remember that many fans were up on arms about how the Eagles wasted their picks on these guys, that they already had Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent and Blaine Bishop, but they all sat on the bench, learned from these guys and then replaced them. That is what the Eagles have not done - drafted talented players that could sit there and learn before going out on the field from established vets.

he has valued the CB position.. problem is that he refuses to address it in the draft's early rounds (except Sidney Jones..which was Joe Douglas as I recall) 

if you look at the (better) CBs we have had during Howie's tenure...they are all FA or trade...never a high round pick in the draft...even Safety....Malcom Jenkins...they continue to look for a steal in the later rounds and so far minimal success...so I agree with you there...there needs to be a paradigm shift in his thinking...and again the problem is that he just can't help himself...he loves his DTs...

On 11/11/2021 at 2:27 PM, NOTW said:

I know what I’m about to write isn’t saying much, but I actually think the Corners on this roster is the best part of the defense. Again it’s not saying much, but Howie hasn’t been replenishing the defensive line with first round talent. They clearly need some front seven upgrades too. 

25 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I know what I’m about to write isn’t saying much, but I actually think the Corners on this roster is the best part of the defense. Again it’s not saying much, but Howie hasn’t been replenishing the defensive line with first round talent. They clearly need some front seven upgrades too. 

Slay is good, Nelson is serviceable but a short term band aid. The rest are JAGs, they haven't been successful at adding young talent. 

Having garbage LBs and declining D line only hurts the secondary even more.

I'd love to see high picks used on difference makers at LB and secondary.

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

Slay is good, Nelson is serviceable but a short term band aid. The rest are JAGs, they haven't been successful at adding young talent. 

Having garbage LBs and declining D line only hurts the secondary even more.

I'd love to see high picks used on difference makers at LB and secondary.

You could run the front four the same way. Barnett makes more negative plays than positive, Hargrave is good, Fletcher is pst his prime, and Sweat is a bit overrated. They need nearly a complete defensive overhaul.

8 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

You could run the front four the same way. Barnett makes more negative plays than positive, Hargrave is good, Fletcher is pst his prime, and Sweat is a bit overrated. They need nearly a complete defensive overhaul.

Yup

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

The line might be better if they ran a stunt every once in a while.

15 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

The line might be better if they ran a stunt every once in a while.

I don’t know maybe, but Barnett’s spin move that takes him out of most plays is pretty useless. 

57 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t know maybe, but Barnett’s spin move that takes him out of most plays is pretty useless. 

I rather his usless spin moves, at least it doesn't hurt the team as much lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I rather his usless spin moves, at least it doesn't hurt the team as much lol

What!?! You don’t like the late hits and pre-snap penalties? 😂

Playoffs? Really? They are 3-6 and haven’t beaten any team worth anything. They get beaten by any team with a game plan and the d plays even worse against them. Garbage time has made this team big look as bad as it is.