Evan Neal (Alabama OT) -- DRAFTED BY N.Y. GIANTS #7

eaglegenius

Top prospect, may be gone before we get a shot at him.

6'7 350 lb monster run blocker. Played with Hurts at Alabama.

Our O line is aging. Should be a priority, along with D line and edge.

Love Neal as a player and prospect, but pass.

We have the Tackle position covered with Mailata/Dillard/Lane.

I am however open to spending a mid first on Linderbaum to solidify the Center position for the next decade.

• Like 2

If Lane Johnson wasn't already locked up long-term with his contact, I'd be all over this idea. While Neal did start at LG for a season before moving to RT and eventually LT, he projects to be a tackle on the NFL.

It wouldn't make sense for the Eagles to use such a high pick to upgrade G unless they think Johnson is not going to be in Philly much longer and invest in their RT of the future.

9 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Love Neal as a player and prospect, but pass.

We have the Tackle position covered with Mailata/Dillard/Lane.

I am however open to spending a mid first on Linderbaum to solidify the Center position for the next decade.

I’m with you!

While I do think we should address the OL, I would be extremely disappointed if we take Neal in the top 10. Don’t get me wrong, I love Neal but that pick should be spend on the other side of the ball. If we end up with a top 5 pick, I want one of the blue chip defenders in this class. Hamilton, Stingley, Hutchinson or Leal with Thibodeaux probably going No.1.

I’m okay with Linderbaum with one of our other two picks. Best IOL since Nelson and with Kelce possibly retiring and Dickerson doing well at OG solidifying the entire interior for the next 5-10 years.

8 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I’m with you!

While I do think we should address the OL, I would be extremely disappointed if we take Neal in the top 10. Don’t get me wrong, I love Neal but that pick should be spend on the other side of the ball. If we end up with a top 5 pick, I want one of the blue chip defenders in this class. Hamilton, Stingley, Hutchinson or Leal with Thibodeaux probably going No.1.

I’m okay with Linderbaum with one of our other two picks. Best IOL since Nelson and with Kelce possibly retiring and Dickerson doing well at OG solidifying the entire interior for the next 5-10 years.

Lane is getting hurt more now and off for "personal" reasons. Mailiata should play at LT. If Dillard can't play LG trade him or do you want to pay Dillard LT money along with Mailata? I would have NP drafting Neal(ROT) especially in a year when/if we find a franchise QB. If Lane is going to be "off" the field for whatever reasons, we need do do better

36 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Lane is getting hurt more now and off for "personal" reasons. Mailiata should play at LT. If Dillard can't play LG trade him or do you want to pay Dillard LT money along with Mailata? I would have NP drafting Neal(ROT) especially in a year when/if we find a franchise QB. If Lane is going to be "off" the field for whatever reasons, we need do do better

Agree to disagree.

I’d be very disappointed if we use a top ten pick on a tackle while the defense could use a serious talent infusion.

A mid round selection on a RT/swing tackle?! Sure! But not our first pick.

3 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Agree to disagree.

I’d be very disappointed if we use a top ten pick on a tackle while the defense could use a serious talent infusion.

A mid round selection on a RT/swing tackle?! Sure! But not our first pick.

Depends if Lane goes away if they are a "swing" no? I find him UNreliable as of late. Can we afford this if(and when) we make a playoff run? SO yeah we disagree. At any rate,I would be ok taking one a bit later, but still a round 1 talent. 

I would be OK with it if they traded down with at least one of the other 1st round picks to get additional 2/3rd picks.  I tend to be a proponent of volume in 2nd/3rd round since the draft is such a crap shoot.

Neal can play all 4 G/T spots.  He could play RG and we end up with: Mailata/Dickerson/Seumalo/Neal/Johnson.  He could also fill in at 4 spots if we still had Brooks and Johnson.

But lets be realistic here, do we think the Eagles are going to keep both Brooks and Johnson with those big salaries when they are missing so many games?

I have done a bunch of mocks I like where I take Neal and Linderbaum and then trade down and get extra picks and 2nd/3rd and go full D.  Lots of good talent still there is 2nd/3rd.

• 3 weeks later...

See I'm not so sure we do have the OT position covered. Dillard can't play RT, Mailata is a stud LT and struggled at RT and how long does Lane continue? It's not a huge need but it's a need. 

Birds don't have shot at him - will be long gone.  In any event, OT not a position of need right now.  LJ has a few more years left and he is the best in the business.