Eagles practice report: Dallas Goedert, Davion Taylor updates; Landon Dickerson, Jordan Mailata go appliance shopping

time2rock

Eagles practice report: Dallas Goedert, Davion Taylor updates; Landon Dickerson, Jordan Mailata go appliance shopping

Updated: Nov. 18, 2021, 8:11 p.m. | Published: Nov. 18, 2021, 1:44 p.m.

By Chris Franklin | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

PHILADELPHIA – Eagles tight ends coach Jason Michael was overseeing a blocking drill during Thursday’s practice at the NovaCare Complex, holding a black bag with a number on the front of it. Michael, a former college quarterback turned tight ends coach, reached back to his playing days by calling a cadence, barking out the quick sound to alert tight ends Jack Stoll and Tyree Jackson to begin blocking.

Things were different once again for Michael. Unlike Wednesday where Dallas Goedert was not taking part in practice, he was holding the pad for Goedert to make contact and push him back before ending the block.

Goedert, who was in the concussion protocol, returned to practice Thursday. Goedert took a knee to the head in the first quarter of Sunday’s game against the Denver Broncos and did not return. However, on Thursday, Goedert took part in a ball security drill and caught some passes during special teams practice.

One person who knows how Goedert is doing is his roommate, cornerback Avonte Maddox. Before practice, Maddox said that Goedert was in good spirits considering he suffered a head injury.

"He’s good,” Maddox said. "Dallas is always good. I live with him, so when he comes back home, he’s always smiling. I’m always looking forward to Dallas being out on the field. If he can get back out there soon, I’ll definitely be happy.”

With only one practice to go, Goedert’s availability in question for Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints. If he is able to play, quarterback Jalen Hurts will have one of his main targets back against a Saints team that is ranked 26th in pass defense (264.9 yards a game).

If Goedert does not play, the Eagles may have to make a couple of changes to their suddenly surging offense. Stoll or Jackson would see more playing time if Goedert is ruled out of the game. It could also mean that J.J. Arcega-Whiteside could see more snaps to help with some blocking responsibilities. The other possibility is that the Eagles elevate Richard Rodgers, the seven-year veteran, from the practice squad. Rodgers is familiar with the offense and could step in and contribute.

Davion Taylor is "ready to go” despite bone bruise

Linebacker Davion Taylor was a surprise listing on Wednesday’s injury report, not participating in Wednesday’s walk-through because of a knee injury. On Thursday, Taylor said that he is recovering and should play against the Saints.

"It’s pretty good,” Taylor said. "I had something like a bone bruise, but I was able to play for the rest of the game. I think it was a good sign. I shouldn’t miss any significant time or anything. I’m just doing my rehab. I’m feeling better every day, and it should be ready to go come Sunday.”

Taylor has played well of late since seeing an increase in his defensive snaps. Taylor has 23 tackles, a tackle for loss, and two forced fumbles in the last four games. Taylor’s ability to read plays is improving, allowing his physical skills to take over and create stops.

"The Fridge and the Freezer”

The Eagles have a lot of size on the left side of their offensive line. Left tackle Jordan Mailata is 6-feet, 8-inches tall, and weighs 365 pounds. The person next to Mailata, rookie left guard Landon Dickerson, is 6-feet, 5 inches tall, and weighs 333 pounds. The two were working together again at Wednesday’s practice, working on some combination blocks under the direction of offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland.

During yesterday’s media availability, Mailata jokingly calling Dickerson an "athletic fridge,” referring the the offensive lineman’s size. After hearing the comment, Dickerson embraced the comment and made his own retort Thursday, calling describing Mailata as another household appliance.

"It feels alright,” Dickerson said. "If I’m fridge, he is a walk-in freezer. It’s the fridge and freezer combo I guess. You can’t go wrong with that.”

Besides this combination being an appliance stores’ dream scenario to sponsor, the two have worked well together in the run game. According to Sharp Football Analysis, in the least three weeks, the Eagles have run the ball 61 times in the area between the left tackle and the center. The offense has had seven explosive runs in that time, meaning rushing plays that have gone for 10 yards or more.

Their combined size makes it good to run behind. No wonder they describe each other the way they have.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/11/eagles-practice-report-dallas-goedert-seen-on-the-field-thursday-davion-taylor-knee-update-athletic-fridge-landon-dickerson-compares-jordan-mailata-to-an-appliance.html

28 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Goedert, who was in the concussion protocol, returned to practice Thursday. Goedert took a knee to the head in the first quarter of Sunday’s game against the Denver Broncos and did not return.

I thought it was a elbow to the head?