Eagles extend Avonte Maddox ... 3/$22.5M/$13.3M guar

BigEd76

I'd like to see the numbers. Hopefully they mirror high end nickel corner and not outside. He's finally back where he belongs. It's always nice to see home grown players stay.

Eagles lock up another player. So far he’s had a really good season. Maddox getting an extension is the 4th player from the 2018 draft to get one. That might be the most players Howie ever got extended. All of the selections from that 2018 draft are still in the league including Pryor according to reports is playing much better in Indy than he did here. 

This coming a day after Goedert clearly shows that it was part of Goderts agreement that they would then extend his "roommate" as well.  

52 minutes ago, Infam said:

13.3m

Good rate for a slot corner, 4.5M

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Eagles lock up another player. So far he’s had a really good season. Maddox getting an extension is the 4th player from the 2018 draft to get one. That might be the most players Howie ever got extended. All of the selections from that 2018 draft are still in the league including Pryor according to reports is playing much better in Indy than he did here. 

These extensions lock in some positions to help answer questions about the pieces in building the team, and help put focus for the draft.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

These extensions lock in some positions to help answer questions about the pieces in building the team, and help put focus for the draft.

That’s a good thing. I still think the defense should be the focus of much of the offseason moment though. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

That’s a good thing. I still think the defense should be the focus of much of the offseason moment though. 

I would go BPA anywhere on defense just get talent.

• Like 1

I wonder if they give Nelson a contract too. But glad we got Avonte for few more years, decent starter. 

Have to wonder if this lowers the chance of Eagles drafting a CB high now, I hope it doesn’t, but it might.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I wonder if they give Nelson a contract too. But glad we got Avonte for few more years, decent starter. 

Have to wonder if this lowers the chance of Eagles drafting a CB high now, I hope it doesn’t, but it might.

Maddox is (or should be) strictly a slot CB.  There is still a need at outside CB considering Nelson is only signed for this year and Slay is getting up there in age (and McPhearson being a complete unknown at this time).  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Maddox is (or should be) strictly a slot CB.  There is still a need at outside CB considering Nelson is only signed for this year and Slay is getting up there in age (and McPhearson being a complete unknown at this time).  

Yeah I understand that. But given Eagles draft history, mixed in with Slay having another year on the deal & McPhearson being there. They might not have it high on their priority list. 

What you guys think are going to be the three 1st round picks?

I could see CB and DE. I would like a linebacker, but they don't value them, a 2nd for a LB would be nice. This is purely off need, not bpa as I haven't followed this years top picks.

9 minutes ago, mihailo said:

I could see CB and DE. I would like a linebacker, but they don't value them, a 2nd for a LB would be nice. This is purely off need, not bpa as I haven't followed this years top picks.

I think given our need and how deep the draft is we will almost certainly draft a DE.

The other two I‘m not so sure, and will likely depend on who looks good this season and who is available.

I‘d assume a second lineman, either DT or C and then the third probably CB or WR.. with a slim chance for a safety.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mihailo said:

I think the Eagles are learning their lesson on LBs. Last year we tried to get by with Gerry, and he made Singleton seem like an All-Pro. This year we tried the Wilson, Singleton combo and that was a poor fit in Gannon's scheme. Taylor and Edwards are performing better. Taylor always was known to be a high-upside project and appears to be on track --- so that's something to watch. Edwards has always played solid football when needed. It would be wise to address LB early that could at least push for playing time. 

I definitely expect a CB and a S to be picked early.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Yeah, I don't mind Maddox sliding outside in case of a mid-game injury, but I don't think you ever want to go into a game with him starting anywhere but the slot.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Infam said:

Hard to allow 15 plus yard plays when they play 20 yards off the line. That’s not his fault terrible scheming. 

5 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

It shouldn't. He's a slot, Nelson is a temporary band aid, and they need young defensive talent at any position badly.

• Like 1