Get Back on Disney

Toastrel

The Peter Jackson special about the last Beatles album, and the rooftop concert aired the first two episodes. If you like the Beatles, you will be thrilled.

My father designed computers for Univac, who opened up offices in London, but no one from the US wanted to go. They made the offer so sweet the parents packed us five kids up and we moved there.

I was within walking distance of the rooftop show, but I was also nine. I didn't hear about it until it was on the news and everybody was talking about it.

Watching a scene where you hear one of the play a song, and the rest of the Beatles, and you, are hearing it for the first time, is amazing.

The amount of movie footage is incredible, given when this happened.

• Like 2

Never been a big fan of The Beatles, not a hater, just not a lover, but I think it’s a fantastic documentary. Watching them sit there and create music together is fascinating. A few notes, Lennon is more amiable and likeable than I expected, but appears super stoned (or hungover), much of the time. McCartney is about as passive aggressive bossy as I expected.  Harrison is far more vocal then I expected.  Yoko Ono sitting there, constantly trying to get Lennon’s attention, annoys me.

I read the title and thought you were encouraging people who cancelled Disney+ to sign up again.  :lol:

• Haha 4

The amount of footage is immense. But man, does it drag on too long. I appreciate the Beatles broke up subsequently after recording, since they look fresh out of ideas as a group. The final product looks much better in perspective. Yoko is such a wet blanket; like she couldn't find anything better to do than accompany John to the studios everyday? Paul is stuck up so far in his own head, he's such an ass.

They made 3 episodes out of this? I couldn't get past the middle of the first one.

Finally got to the 3rd part. My 8 year old daughter was fascinated when she heard that they were going to be playing on the roof, sat down to watch it, and loved it. She laughed for at least 10 minutes when the little old English woman said ‘’They woke me up from my sleep, and I don’t like it!’’  Great performance. They really seemed to enjoy playing with each other.

On 11/27/2021 at 2:30 PM, The_Omega said:

Never been a big fan of The Beatles, not a hater, just not a lover, but I think it’s a fantastic documentary. Watching them sit there and create music together is fascinating. A few notes, Lennon is more amiable and likeable than I expected, but appears super stoned (or hungover), much of the time. McCartney is about as passive aggressive bossy as I expected.  Harrison is far more vocal then I expected.  Yoko Ono sitting there, constantly trying to get Lennon’s attention, annoys me.

The Beatles were doomed with or without Yoko because of the rise of George Harrison.  The dynamic of going from 2 songwriters to 3 was too much to juggle, especially when all 3 were increasingly headed in their own directions musically.

16 hours ago, toolg said:

The amount of footage is immense. But man, does it drag on too long. I appreciate the Beatles broke up subsequently after recording, since they look fresh out of ideas as a group. The final product looks much better in perspective. Yoko is such a wet blanket; like she couldn't find anything better to do than accompany John to the studios everyday? Paul is stuck up so far in his own head, he's such an ass.

They made 3 episodes out of this? I couldn't get past the middle of the first one.

PJ's signature move, no?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, sameaglesfan said:

PJ's signature move, no?

Randal Graves : Let me tell you something. If Peter Jackson really wanted to bl0w me away with that Get Back movie, he would've ended the movie on the logical closure point, NOT the 25 endings that followed!

Elias : What's the "logical closure point"?

Harrison Lover : Yeah, Jagger, enlighten us

Randal Graves : When fu**in' Ringo wakes up from his little blue meanie trip, or whatever, and all the other Beatles are jumpin' on his bed.

[squinting his eyes] 

Randal Graves : And then Paul leans in the doorway and gives him this very fu**ing gay look.

Elias : Not the Walrus, Randal! Say what you will about Jesus, but leave The Walrus out of this!

Harrison Lover : [getting angry]  I'm gonna kick you’re a** back to Abbey Road if you don't shut your fu**ing mouth.

Randal Graves : That look was so gay. I thought Paul was gonna tell the other Beatles to take a walk so he could saunter over to Ringo and suck his fu**ing yellow submarine. Now THAT would have been an Academy Award worthy ending.

Harrison Lover : Hey, ******! They're not gay! They're The Beatles!

Randal Graves : And then, right after the Paul/Ringo suckfest, right before the credits roll, Paul fu**ing flat out bricks in Ringo's mouth.

Harrison Lover : I swear-

[nauseous] 

Harrison Lover : F*** you!

[barfs]

• Haha 1

I'm about half way through, and I'm loving it. I think musicians and artists will like it more than other folks, because much of it focuses on their creative process. People are making Paul out to be the bad guy, but the reality is that their manager died, they put a great deal of pressure on themselves to write, produce, and perform an entire album of new material in about 2 weeks. Paul was in my opinion a reluctant leader because no one else was stepping up. If you watch the documentary "Imagine" John Lennon is a force during the recording of that album, taking charge and holding people accountable, and keeping the production moving. In this one, he's not very engaged. He's a great player, and when they actually start playing he's phenomenal but he's clearly not interested in being in the driver's seat. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

The Beatles were doomed with or without Yoko because of the rise of George Harrison.  The dynamic of going from 2 songwriters to 3 was too much to juggle, especially when all 3 were increasingly headed in their own directions musically.

Now I’m really interested in watching this documentary. IMO, Harrison is the best songwriter of the three.

5 hours ago, SB52 said:

Now I’m really interested in watching this documentary. IMO, Harrison is the best songwriter of the three.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is one of the great rock songs ever written. With 20/20 hindsight, it’s sad to see Ringo throughout this documentary, because he looks increasingly like he knows that the end is coming, and is heartbroken about it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

It also didn’t help that George started banging Ringo’s wife.

18 hours ago, SB52 said:

That's a stretch if you consider entire bodies of work but he did produce the best solo album.  He may have been the best towards the end, being a late bloomer and all.

10 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

It also didn’t help that George started banging Ringo’s wife.

I didn't know that. I know Eric Clapton was banging George's wife. "Wonderful tonight" is about George's wife. Savage. 

18 minutes ago, Gannan said:

I didn't know that. I know Eric Clapton was banging George's wife. "Wonderful tonight" is about George's wife. Savage. 

Clapton didn't actually bang her until after they were divorced.  Patti Boyd walked in on George and Ringo's wife and then told Ringo about it.  That lead to Patti and George's divorce.

Clapton was in love with Patti while she was married to George but Patti always shot him down until after the divorce.  They got married a few years later.  Layla was inspired by her also when Clapton wrote it.  The name comes from an old Arabic story of a guy that goes crazy from his obsession with a girl he can't have.  

For what it's worth, George didn't seem to mind.  He went to their wedding.

• Like 1

Finished it last night. The rooftop concert and the way it was edited together with the people on the street's reactions was awesome. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm into the 2nd part and holy crap this is AMAZING!!!  It feels like a reenactment with a script, the foreshadowing of what happened later is just so ridiculously distilled and fleshed out right in your face.  It also leans hard into the theory that Goerge's rise, not Yoko, was the main culprit.  But for some reason Paul always blamed Yoko and we never knew why until now (he couldn't accept how domineering he was).  this is amazing stuff to learn so much about the Beatles at this stage and after all these years.

On 11/29/2021 at 1:26 PM, NOTW said:

I read the title and thought you were encouraging people who cancelled Disney+ to sign up again.  :lol:

That's what I thought when I just clicked it lol

4 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

That's what I thought when I just clicked it lol

I mean, it's got some great content. Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar... and this new Beatles documentary titled "Get Back."

12 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

I'm into the 2nd part and holy crap this is AMAZING!!!  It feels like a reenactment with a script, the foreshadowing of what happened later is just so ridiculously distilled and fleshed out right in your face.  It also leans hard into the theory that Goerge's rise, not Yoko, was the main culprit.  But for some reason Paul always blamed Yoko and we never knew why until now (he couldn't accept how domineering he was).  this is amazing stuff to learn so much about the Beatles at this stage and after all these years.

Paul said after watching it, that he considers himself responsible for breaking up the Beatles

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gannan said:

Paul said after watching it, that he considers himself responsible for breaking up the Beatles

I thought it was weird that he reiterated his blame on Yoko like a month before this hit, out of the blue, after having avoided the subject for decades.  Like he knew the truth and STILL hadn't processed it.