Rodgers can't stop raving about ex-Eagles draft pick

time2rock

Rodgers can't stop raving about ex-Eagles draft pick

He wasn't even asked about Rasul Douglas.

Aaron Rodgers just started talking about him.

Yes, that Rasul Douglas.

Douglas, now with his sixth team since last summer, was signed by the Packers off the Cards’ practice squad last month after a rash of cornerback injuries, and the Eagles’ 2017 3rd-round pick has been a godsend for Green Bay.

On Sunday, he had a monster game in the 36-28 win over the Rams, with his first career pick-6 and four pass knockdowns.

"When you’re talking about Rasul, like how was this guy on the practice squad?” Rodgers said. "I mean, the dude has made so many plays for us. He’s got great instincts, good ball skills, he's made opportunistic plays for us.”

It’s been a crazy journey for Douglas since the Eagles released him at the end of training camp last year. 

He spent 2020 with the Panthers, then had brief stints with the Raiders and Texans this past summer before being released by both teams. The Cards signed him to their practice squad, where he spent the first month of the season before the Packers, desperate for healthy corners, snapped him up.

Six teams in 20 months.

"Shout out to our scouting department for seeing a guy like Rasul, who came in and he’s been a difference maker on that defense,” said Davante Adams, who went over 1,000 yards for the season Sunday. "The confidence he plays with, the speed he plays with. … And just that energy he plays with is so contagious, and I know the defense really feeds off that as well. 

"I enjoy watching him out there. It’s kind of a roll of the dice whether certain guys will play, especially if they’re out on the street, but he’s capitalized on his opportunity, he’s a great teammate, and it’s fun playing with him.”

Douglas’s 33-yard pick-6 off Matt Stafford Sunday was the first of his career, his first on any level since 2016, when he had a 54-yarder off Taysom Hill in West Virginia’s 35-32 win over BYU at FedEx Field.

He also picked off former teammate Kyler Murray earlier this year. They are his first interceptions since he intercepted Matt Ryan, Dak Prescott and Josh Johnson as an Eagle in 2018.

"Rasul has been a huge pick up for us and you have to give credit to Gutey (GM Brian Gutekunst) and his staff for finding him. I just love how he competes," Packers coach Matt LaFleur said.

"You see it play in and play out. The guy is so competitive. You see it in practice every day. Obviously, he’s made two plays that have had a major impact on games this year. There are multiple other plays that he’s made that have really impacted games, but obviously the two that come to mind is Arizona and then tonight having a pick-six. It seemed like there were other opportunities out there for him to have another interception. 

"I’m just really proud of his effort. I think our guys have really embraced him and took him in and we’re lucky to have a guy like that. It’s rare to find a guy like that midseason.”

Douglas did drop a potential second interception later in the game. He said his only regret from Sunday was a weak performance in his first lifetime attempt at a Lambeau Leap.

"As soon as I got the ball, I was thinking try to score so I could Lambeau Leap,” he said. "I think that’s what messed me up on my second one, thinking I was going to get a shot at redemption on my Lambeau Leap, because my first one wasn’t good enough. It was something I’ve always wanted to do.”

Six teams in 20 months is tough for anybody, but Douglas - still only 27 - said he feels like he’s finally found a home.

"They accepted me with open arms,” he said. "I just told them that (in the locker room), when coach had me speak a little bit, I just told them I appreciate how you made me feel like this is home, and that’s a good feeling to have.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/aaron-rodgers-cant-stop-raving-about-former-eagles-cb-rasul-douglas

This seems to be a fad more frequently over the last few years where ex Eagles players seem to play better on other teams. Is it a result of poor coaching or schemes? Who knows. He didnt do much here but glad he is having a good year elsewhere and having Rodgers call you out in a positive way helps Rasul in the long run

Just now, Wormlegs said:

This seems to be a fad more frequently over the last few years where ex Eagles players seem to play better on other teams. Is it a result of poor coaching or schemes? Who knows. He didnt do much here but glad he is having a good year elsewhere and having Rodgers call you out in a positive way helps Rasul in the long run

It is both... when drafting a player, you need to draft a player who fits what the coaches want that player to be able to do.  It's why the Ravens and Steelers always seem to find the right players in the draft, even though they are usually picking later... they know what players fit what they want them to do.

Meanwhile, the Eagles draft based on whims and wishes.  They trade for players without figuring out if the player can do what this coaching staff wants them to do.  Trade for Golden Tate?  Sure.   Oh, he only works well from the slot and that's where you've had to pigeon hole Agholor... oh well.   Trade for Genard Avery?   He doesn't sniff the field.  Why?  Because he doesn't seem to fit.  Rasul Douglas seems to be in a similar boat.  Let him play Cover 2 and jump routes and be physical with WRs... he might be effective.  Ask him to play Cover 3 and be responsible for that much of the field or worse yet... Cover 1... and you get him trailing a lot of deep balls.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

It is both... when drafting a player, you need to draft a player who fits what the coaches want that player to be able to do.  It's why the Ravens and Steelers always seem to find the right players in the draft, even though they are usually picking later... they know what players fit what they want them to do.

Meanwhile, the Eagles draft based on whims and wishes.  They trade for players without figuring out if the player can do what this coaching staff wants them to do.  Trade for Golden Tate?  Sure.   Oh, he only works well from the slot and that's where you've had to pigeon hole Agholor... oh well.   Trade for Genard Avery?   He doesn't sniff the field.  Why?  Because he doesn't seem to fit.  Rasul Douglas seems to be in a similar boat.  Let him play Cover 2 and jump routes and be physical with WRs... he might be effective.  Ask him to play Cover 3 and be responsible for that much of the field or worse yet... Cover 1... and you get him trailing a lot of deep balls.

Definitely agree  with you 100%. The top brass always seems to try and be cute and think they are outsmarting everyone, when in all reality they are swinging for the fences each time and seeing if its a home run or a strike, never anything in between

20 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I wish I could give this post more than 1 like.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I  mean to be fair those teams (Ravens/Steelers) are not changing coaches and philosophies every three years. It is much easier to fill those holes when you know exactly what you are.

The Eagles have no idea what they are right now and really have not for years. Even when they won the SB, it was because they change their philosophy going into the playoffs. This team has had no real identity since AR w/ JJ.

40 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

I  mean to be fair those teams (Ravens/Steelers) are not changing coaches and philosophies every three years. It is much easier to fill those holes when you know exactly what you are.

The Eagles have no idea what they are right now and really have not for years. Even when they won the SB, it was because they change their philosophy going into the playoffs. This team has had no real identity since AR w/ JJ.

There is a lot to be said for stability... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

There is a lot to be said for stability... 

I agree. That is why the Eagles FO need to be patient and allow things to work out for the next year or two, even if the Eagles struggle. Blowing draft capital on a veteran QB or firing Gannon/Siri is just going to cost them more years and more pain.

Spend the draft capital on defense, get a veteran WR and roll with Hurts again next year. If they suck, they suck and then get a QB high in the draft in 2023. At least there will be some stability for once.

• Like 2

Frustratingly I suspect Douglas would be playing really well in this Eagles defense. Not that I've been overly impressed with Gannon but his corners have been pretty good so far. I think in this scheme that's rather cautious Douglas would be able to get his hands on the ball. 

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

I agree. That is why the Eagles FO need to be patient and allow things to work out for the next year or two, even if the Eagles struggle. Blowing draft capital on a veteran QB or firing Gannon/Siri is just going to cost them more years and more pain.

Spend the draft capital on defense, get a veteran WR and roll with Hurts again next year. If they suck, they suck and then get a QB high in the draft in 2023. At least there will be some stability for once.

:lol:. Don't hold your breath.  Howie can't help himself but to make splash moves.

2 hours ago, pallidrone said:

Yup the Steelers the team that has won the most super bowls has had the same identity and like 3 coaches since the 70s.

They are a 34 defense and they have a physical running game.

The Ravens though a lot younger franchise have a similar identity since their inception.

Eagles other than 10+ years of Reid have been all over the place owner ,coach ,philosophy wise and it's resulted in 1 super bowl win.

There's something to be said for continuity and having a continuous identity.