Eagles preparing Minshew in case Hurts can’t play

time2rock

Eagles preparing Minshew in case Hurts can’t play

Eagles backup quarterback Gardner Minshew was at the NovaCare Complex on Tuesday as the Eagles began preparations to face the Jets this weekend.

They have to get Minshew ready just in case.

Because starting quarterback Jalen Hurts injured his ankle against the Giants on Sunday and while he returned to the game, he was sore to begin this week.

“[Minshew is] in here today so we’ll talk to him today,” offensive coordinator Shane Steichen said on Tuesday. "But really we’re getting ready for Jalen (to play) and we’ll go from there.”

Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni on Monday said he didn’t want to put a timetable on Hurts’ injury but said they’d see how rehab went the next two days before hopefully having a better update on Wednesday, the first day of practice this week. So the Eagles are going through that process now.

With the bye week looming after the Jets game, there’s a case to be made for sitting a hobbled Hurts on Sunday.

Even if Hurts is able to play, Steichen conceded that an ankle injury could limit Hurts’ effectiveness on Sunday.

"Yeah. He’s an explosive runner,” Steichen said. "Obviously, he runs the football really well so we’ve got to work through those things.”

Minshew, 25, has been with the Eagles since late August, when he was traded from Jacksonville. He became the team’s backup quarterback on Oct. 25, when Joe Flacco was traded to the Jets. Minshew has been active for five games but his only game action came late in the blowout in Detroit.

Against the Lions in the fourth quarter, Minshew played 14 snaps. He completed both his passes for a total of 11 yards.

While Minshew and Hurts are very different quarterbacks, Steichen (as hard as it is to believe) intimated that the offense wouldn’t look much different with Minshew in the lineup.

"We’re going to run what we run and I think we gotta continue to do that,” Steichen said. "We’ve been pretty efficient running the football. And obviously we’ve got to get our pass game to where we want it to be and that’s the bottom line.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-preparing-gardner-minshew-case-jalen-hurts-cant-play-vs-jets

11 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Can you imagine this forum if Minshew plays and lights it up?   

It would only move my needle if he was able to do that consistently over several weeks.  One game defines nothing.  

7 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Can you imagine this forum if Minshew plays and lights it up?   

He may pass it better, but he'll be nowhere near Hurts running.

I say again, on current pace Hurt's numbers from this season will be respectable, around 3450 yds passing and 1000 yds rushing. Minshew's best 17 game stretch for his career so far would add about 450 yards to the passing and take about 700 off the rushing, so I expect despite what the TATE brain trust thinks Minshew wouldn't turbo charge our offense.

1 minute ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

He may pass it better, but he'll be nowhere near Hurts running.

I say again, on current pace Hurt's numbers from this season will be respectable, around 3450 yds passing and 1000 yds rushing. Minshew's best 17 game stretch for his career so far would add about 450 yards to the passing and take about 700 off the rushing, so I expect despite what the TATE brain trust thinks Minshew wouldn't turbo charge our offense.

To oversimplify, running QB don't win super bowls.

QB Passing does waaaay more damage than a QB running the ball..........running the ball is exciting and a lot of hype is given to "dual weapon" QBs......but their running comes at the cost of the passing game.....because they WILL think about running before they go thru their progressions.....2 looks and getting happy feet doesn't equate to a deep playoff runs

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

To oversimplify, running QB don't win super bowls.

QB Passing does waaaay more damage than a QB running the ball..........running the ball is exciting and a lot of hype is given to "dual weapon" QBs......but their running comes at the cost of the passing game.....because they WILL think about running before they go thru their progressions.....2 looks and getting happy feet doesn't equate to a deep playoff runs

Yards are yards, if one QB is getting less yards than another with his arm or legs, he's getting less yards, the field is 100 yards long whether you throw it or run it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yards are yards, if one QB is getting less yards than another with his arm or legs, he's getting less yards, the field is 100 yards long whether you throw it or run it.

True, but which QB is more likely to come back from say, 14 points down? If your team is seen as one dimensional as the Giants saw the Eagles ("We were going to make Hurts beat us with his arm") a good defense WILL slow the running game.

I suspect if Minshew comes in then the RBs will see an increase in carries and the passing game numbers will also go up. I'm not a huge Minshew guy but he's a better passer than Hurts there's little doubt. But whether that leads to additional points and yards for this offense? No idea. We may find out Sunday though I suspect Hurts is going to tough it out. 

On 12/1/2021 at 9:48 AM, time2rock said:

It would only move my needle if he was able to do that consistently over several weeks.  One game defines nothing.  

I agree......but I was talking about this forum and how so many overreaction come after one good or bad game....not to mention the idiot media.