2022 NFL mock draft roundup Week 14: Eagles shore up trenches on both sides of ball

time2rock

2022 NFL mock draft roundup Week 14: Eagles shore up trenches on both sides of ball 

Tyler-Linderbaum-NFL-Draft-Eagles.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

December 8, 2021 7:33 am ET

The Eagles are at home resting, finally getting a much-needed bye week, and as critics and pundits debate Gardner Minshew vs. Jalen Hurts, NFL draft gurus around the league are delivering their Week 14 mocks.

Philadelphia will have three first-round picks s thanks to last offseason’s trade of Carson Wentz and some draft-day wheeling and dealing that landed the Eagles a 2022 first-round pick from the Dolphins.

With the Birds underachieving in the pass rush department this season, several outlets have Philadelphia rebuilding in the trenches.

PFF

David-Ojabe.jpg

Michigan linebacker David Ojabo cheers the crowd before a play against Ohio State during the first half at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor on Saturday, Nov. 27, 2021.

PFF has the Eagles rebuilding through the interior drafting studs with all 3 picks.

12. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (FROM MIAMI): C TYLER LINDERBAUM, IOWA
Positional value may cause Linderbaum to fall, but he’s as good a center prospect as you’ll see. Linderbaum has been the highest-graded player at the position in each of the past two seasons.

13. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: DT JORDAN DAVIS, GEORGIA
The Eagles love to build through the trenches, and Davis is about as strong an anchor as you’ll find. At 6-foot-6, 340 pounds, he’s near immovable in the middle of Georgia’s defense. He can also learn from one of the best bull-rushers of the past decade in Fletcher Cox.

17. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (VIA INDIANAPOLIS): EDGE DAVID OJABO, MICHIGAN
Ojabo has been playing football for only five years, which makes his rocket-ship ascent even more intriguing when projecting to the NFL. After only playing 26 snaps in his Michigan career before this season, Ojabo has an 88.2 pass-rushing grade on 508 snaps this year.

CBS Sports

Roger-McCreary.jpg

Nov 27, 2021; Auburn, Alabama, USA; Auburn Tigers cornerback Roger McCreary (23) breaks up a pass intended for Alabama Crimson Tide wide receiver John Metchie III (8) in the fourth quarter at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

CBS Sports has the Eagles and Howie Roseman creating some discussion with their first pick in the draft.

Round 1 – Pick 12
Roger McCreary CB
AUBURN SR 6’0″ / 190 LBS

This may seem too high for McCreary but was the most consistent cornerback in college football this fall. That’s all you want from that position, so while he lacks the high-end athleticism of some of the other names often mentioned as first-round talents, he’s rarely out of position and almost always making positive plays for his team.

Round 1 – Pick 13
Nakobe Dean LB
GEORGIA JR 6’0″ / 225 LBS

Dean plays with the type of urgency and physicality that has been lacking at times in the middle of this Eagles defense. And while Dean’s playing on the best defense in the country, don’t be fooled — he’s not riding on the coattails of a dominant defensive line — he’s been a huge reason for its success.

Round 1 – Pick 17
Tyler Linderbaum OL
IOWA JR 6’3″ / 290 LBS

Jason Kelce is 34 years old and the Eagles could either move on from him after the season, or let his contract expire after the 2022 campaign. Yes, Philly drafted Landon Dickerson in the spring, but he can remain at guard going forward because Linderbaum might end up being the best offensive lineman in this class.

Sports Illustrated

Jahan-Dotson.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Raj Mehta-USA TODAY Sports

Sports Illustrated has Philadelphia addressing the wide receiver position for the third year in a row, this time with local talent.

12. Philadelphia Eagles (via MIA) CB Andrew Booth Jr. Clemson
"Twitchy athlete who brings a compact frame and long limbs to the cornerback position. Energy jumps off the tape with his effort and urgency he plays with. Plays with savvy pre-snap, doing his best to disguise his alignments and not give the quarterback an indicator.”

13. Philadelphia Eagles DE David Ojabo Michigan
"Ojabo always stood out athletically, dominating his peers in soccer, basketball, and track and field. Ojabo ran a 10.8 100-meter dash while snagging rebounds over taller players on the hardwood. It didn’t take long for friends and family to see that the slim teenager was ripe with untapped potential.”

17. Philadelphia Eagles (via IND) WR Jahan Dotson Penn State
"Route running and catching are two of the most important abilities a wide receiver can have. Jahan Dotson is an experienced receiver who has consistently proven himself to be an above-average route runner with stellar hands.”

Pro Football Network

Trevor-Penning-NFL-Draft-Eagles.jpg

(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

Pro Football Network has the Eagles rolling with two big named prospects and an under-the-radar first-round pick.

12) Philadelphia Eagles (from Miami): Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU

The Philadelphia Eagles grab this 2022 Mock Draft’s third cornerback in the top 12 picks. Derek Stingley Jr. had a quiet and short 2021 season after an injury sidelined him, but there’s no denying his talent.

13) Philadelphia Eagles: Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah

The best linebacker that no one was talking about in college football is finally getting his due. Devin Lloyd has been racking up tackles and changing offensive game plans for years in Salt Lake City. Now he heads to Philadelphia with the Eagles’ second pick in as many selections. Lloyd is the best sideline-to-sideline linebacker in the class and perhaps the best LB in coverage to boot.

17) Philadelphia Eagles (from Indianapolis): Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa

The Philadelphia Eagles are back at it with their third pick in Round 1. After going with defensive players at picks 11 and 12, they go to the offensive line to help tighten up their pass protection.

With Jordan Mailata emerging as one of the league’s best tackles, the need to eventually replace Lane Johnson is a glaring one. Trevor Penning will fill in for Johnson when the time comes, but don’t rule out him starting from Day 1.

Sporting News

George-Karlaftis.png

The Sporting News has the Eagles rolling with 3 of college football’s top players from Midwest schools.

8. Philadelphia Eagles

Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame (6-4, 220 pounds)

The Eagles will have a need at safety in 2022, either needing to replace aging Rodney McLeod or pending free agent Anthony Harris. Hamilton makes a lot of sense as an intelligent all-around force to clean up for defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon.

9. Philadelphia Eagles (from Dolphins)

George Karlaftis, EDGE, Purdue (6-4, 275 pounds)

The Eagles also need to rev up the edge pass rush defensively with Brandon Graham tearing his Achilles’ before his age 34 pending free agent season and Derek Barnett heading into free agency. Karlaftis possesses elite athleticism for his size and is still tapping into his immense pass-rush potential.

14. Philadelphia Eagles (from Colts)

David Ojabo, EDGE, Michigan (6-5, 250 pounds)

The Eagles shouldn’t mind going bookends for their 4-3 after taking Karlaftis out of Purdue. Ojabo would give them another flashy freakish player after his speed, explosiveness and energy added up to his big rise behind his end-mate Hutchinson.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/eagles-2022-nfl-mock-draft-linderbaum-david-ojabo/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Linderbaum would be a great pick as would Ojabo (considering Hutch is almost certainly out of range now).  I'd probably prefer Leal to Davis.  McCreary would be a solid pick too but prefer Booth.  Prefer Lloyd to Dean.  And while I love Dotson and think he would be a great addition, I would prefer to go the route of a vet FA than adding another rookie (not that adding Dotson would upset me lol).  

With draft capital like the Eagles have this year, might as well concentrate on what the organization does best - draft to fill the trenches.

Unbelievably, I would love any one of those draft results.......especially linderbaum........

But getting defensive help is paramount.....

32 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Unbelievably, I would love any one of those draft results.......especially linderbaum........

But getting defensive help is paramount.....

I agree all of those mocks are pretty darn good.  If I were to tweak them:

PFF: replace Davis with Leal 

CBS: replace McCreary with Booth and Dean with Lloyd

SI: replace Dotson with Linderbaum (love Dotson but I don't think adding another rookie WR is the way to go at this time ... they need to add a vet in FA)

PFN: replace Penning with Linderbaum

I like all of those drafts tbh. I think my favorites are the PFF draft and the Sporting News mock.