How are we supposed to develop any WRs with this offense?

opa-opa

I know the flak that Reagor is getting, but to see things from his perspective, this coaching staff and offense has provided zero consistency to the WRs on this team besides maybe Devonta Smith. 

It's not like "normal" NFL offenses where even the # 2 or 3 receiver usually sees a couple of balls thrown their way, every game. On this team you might not get anything thrown your way for weeks, and then suddenly you would get a whole bunch at a time and expected to "perform". And with how much we are running the ball now and with Goedert getting the boatload of passes thrown every week, there just isn't enough passes left to go around for the other receivers on this team.

It's not the easiest thing for players to deal with. How are we supposed to develop ANY young WRs this way?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

I know the flak that Reagor is getting, but to see things from his perspective, this coaching staff and offense has provided zero consistency to the WRs on this team besides maybe Devonta Smith. 

It's not like "normal" NFL offenses where even the # 2 or 3 receiver usually sees a couple of balls thrown their way, every game. On this team you might not get anything thrown your way for weeks, and then suddenly you would get a whole bunch at a time and expected to "perform". And with how much we are running the ball now and with Goedert getting the boatload of passes thrown every week, there just isn't enough passes left to go around for the other receivers on this team.

It's not the easiest thing for players to deal with. How are we supposed to develop ANY young WRs this way?

Well they are compensated very well to be expected to be ready whenever their number is called

I see your point though and agree

• Like 2

There are plenty of throws to go around - not as much as prior years, but still plenty of passing downs.  Team is passing around 9% less than it did in 2019.

5 games with Hurts since Detroit          Goedert  17 rec, 205 yds, 0 tds,  12 ypc.     

One game with Minshew   
 6 rec, 105 yds, 2 tds, 17.5 ypc.      

18 minutes ago, Procus said:

There are plenty of throws to go around - not as much as prior years, but still plenty of passing downs.  Team is passing around 9% less than it did in 2019.

Is that for the season?   Since the Detroit game when the offense completely changed and the Eagles started winning, the passing has really dropped off.   Mac Jones has only played one more game than Hurts and including MNF’s, 3 total passes, he’s thrown 33 more times than Jalen.   

40 minutes ago, Procus said:

Eagles averaged 22 pass attempts per game the last 5 Hurts games.  That is not enough.

Smith targets 82

Quez 46

Reagor 45

Goedert 56

Seems pretty even to me. If you ask me Goedert doesn't get enough targets and Smith is getting what a #1 should get. Reagor gets to many. 

We weren't developing them when they were passing a ton because the majority went to the right side of the field or screens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ipiggles said:

who needs wr to catch a ball, we use them to block. It's why JJAW is still on he team. 

Riley Cooper would have loved this offense!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah I mean I don't disagree with the overall point. This team doesn't throw the ball a lot because ultimately the QB isn't capable. I suspect with a different QB and an offense that functions more like an NFL offense that may be different?

But bottom line Reagor flat out sucks. 

• Like 3

As if Reagor deserves more touches … he sucks when given the opportunities he does now (that includes returns).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

As if Reagor deserves more touches … he sucks when given the opportunities he does now (that includes returns).  

Would he still suck if he was given time with a different QB?

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

In short... Yes. Yes he would. Why? Because he sucks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Smith targets 82

Quez 46

Reagor 45

Goedert 56

Seems pretty even to me. If you ask me Goedert doesn't get enough targets and Smith is getting what a #1 should get. Reagor gets to many. 

We weren't developing them when they were passing a ton because the majority went to the right side of the field or screens. 

In 2021: (according to ESPN)

Reagor 46 targets 26 Receptions

Smith 82 Targets 50 Receptions

Watkins 46 Targets 31 REceptions

Goedert 56 Targets 41 Receptions

Whiteside 2Targets for 2 Receptions

Reagor is our least Productive Receiver. and as un-logical and unpopular as it may seem...JJ Whiteside could use a few extra touches.

17 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Reagor is our least Productive Receiver. and as un-logical and unpopular as it may seem...JJ Whiteside could use a few extra touches.

I wouldn't be against JJAW seeing some of those Reagor snaps I really wouldn't. And I mean let's be honest that says it all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

In 2021: (according to ESPN)

Reagor 46 targets 26 Receptions

Smith 82 Targets 50 Receptions

Watkins 46 Targets 31 REceptions

Goedert 56 Targets 41 Receptions

Whiteside 2Targets for 2 Receptions

I'd have no problem with that. The front office may have already given up on Whiteside though and are now trying to get something out of Reagor.

For as bad as Reagor has been his rookie season was miles ahead of Whiteside's just to show how sad these 2 picks have been. This year it seems like they are trying to force the ball to Reagor to get anything they can. 

14 hours ago, downundermike said:

Eagles averaged 22 pass attempts per game the last 5 Hurts games.  That is not enough.

It is when you have a quarterback that isn't a very good passer right now.

September & October:  they're passing too much, need to run more.

November & December: they're not passing enough. 

:wacko:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

There is no QB involved on returns where he sucks just as much.  

People complain if they pass a lot. People complain if they run a lot.  People are idiotic. Not you OP- people in general. 😆

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2021 at 3:26 PM, opa-opa said:

Reagor has had 46 targets this season.  He had 54 all of last season.  That's 4 targets a game.  You want him getting more than he's getting right now?  

On 12/10/2021 at 12:26 PM, opa-opa said:

I do agree that  this offense lends itself to fewer receiving opportunities --- especially for WRs. All the WRs are being asked to block and expected to block effectively. Smith, Reagor, and JJAW have all been blocking well for the most part. But there just won't be as many pass opportunities until this offense moves toward true balance. With that being said, when your number is called and you get a game with multiple targets, you simply have to make the necessary plays on your end. 

I don't blame Reagor for the poorly designed, poorly timed, and poorly executed screen passes and whatnot that have no chance at gaining yards, usually resulting in a loss. But he absolutely needs to come up with those tough catch opportunities like he had at the end of the game a couple weeks ago. If you want to make the case for more playing time or more targets, you absolutely are, and should be, "expected to perform." Minshew was only given one start, due to injury. He came out and performed well. Last year, Mailata was forced to play LT due to injuries and won a starting job and a large contract extension. As a player, your opportunity is obvious. I realize that virtually every Eagles fan is down on Reagor. He has done very little to endear himself to the fans with his receiving. I still think he can turn things around. It's going to have to start with him, though. If he gets only 2 targets and the passes are catchable, he needs to catch them. 

• Like 5

On 12/11/2021 at 7:26 AM, NOTW said:

September & October:  they're passing too much, need to run more.

November & December: they're not passing enough. 

:wacko:

It has gone from one extreme to the other so I think it's somewhat fair.

On 12/10/2021 at 4:29 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Smith targets 82

Quez 46

Reagor 45

Goedert 56

I'll say this much, a called pass play where you throw to the primary target and a desperation throw to a receiver when the primary target is covered isn't exactly the same thing.

From what I've seen, Quez is rarely the primary target on most pass plays if any and I don't understand that, I still hold the the idea that he's your best option.

On 12/10/2021 at 1:23 PM, downundermike said:

It is enough if the QB can be uber efficient and productive with pass TD on low amount of attempts like Lamar Jackson's MVP season. It is not enough when the QB stinks as a thrower and isn't efficient at all though.