Perfect early/late-round LB fits for Eagles in 2022 NFL Draft

time2rock

Perfect early/late-round LB fits for Eagles in 2022 NFL Draft

Devin-Lloyd.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

December 11, 2021 2:06 pm ET

As the Eagles get set to start preparing for their Week 15 matchup against Washington, all eyes are starting to turn towards the NFL draft, where Philadelphia will likely control the board with 3 first-round picks.

The Eagles haven’t drafted a linebacker in the first round since the late 70s, but 2022 could provide the ultimate opportunity for Howie Roseman to finally land a game-changer in the first or second round.

Regardless of what round Philadelphia strikes, there will be plenty of big-time linebackers on the board for the Eagles to target.

1. Devin Lloyd

Devin-Lloyd.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

Lloyd can do it all and logged an 89.2 grade from PFF, cementing his status with a pick-six in the Pack 12 title game.

The Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year.

2. Christian Harris

Christian-Harris.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Gary Cosby Jr.-USA TODAY Sports

Harris has seen his stock dip this season, but he’s still a run-stuffing thumper who’ll only get better with time.

3. Nakobe Dean

Nakobe-Dean-Eagles-NFL-Draft-mocks.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

A do-it-all linebacker at 6-foot and 225 pounds, Dean is supremely fast, while earning a 91.9 pass-rushing grade and a 90.8 coverage grade this season.

4. Chad Muma

Chad-Muma.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY Sports

Muma runs well while excelling at play recognition after averaging almost 11 tackles per game this season.

5. Brandon Smith

Brandon-Smith-.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

Smith is athletic in coverage while being physically imposing at 6-foot-3, 241-pounds.

6. Channing Tindall

Channing-Tindall.jpg

Florida Gators running back Malik Davis (20) tries to get away from Georgia Bulldogs linebacker Channing Tindall (41) during fourth quarter action. The Florida Gators fell to the Georgia Bulldogs 34 to 7. The Florida Gators were the home team for this years annual Florida vs Georgia college football rivalry game at TIAA Bank field in Jacksonville, Florida Saturday, October 30, 2021. [Bob Self/Florida Times-Union]
Jki 103021 Bsfloridageorgia 35

Another one of Georgia’s stud defenders, Tindall is a speedy middle linebacker with sideline to sideline range.

7. Damone Clark

Damone-Clark-NFL-Draft.jpeg

A top-five linebacker and player to watch at the upcoming Senior Bowl, Clark is an athletic and fast player who finished with 135 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, and 5.5 sacks. He also had one interception, and three passes defended.

8.Henry To'oto'o

Henry-Tootoo.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Gary Cosby Jr.-USA TODAY Sports

A former Tennessee recruit who eventually transferred to Alabama, To’ot’o just logged nine tackles and a tackle for loss during Alabama’s 24-22 win over Auburn in four overtimes.

The 6-2, 228-pounder from Sacramento, California, had 76 tackles in his final season at Tennessee but entered the NCAA transfer portal after the firing of former coach Jeremy Pruitt.

To’oto’o leads Alabama with 93 tackles to go along with eight tackles for loss, four sacks, one forced fumbles.

9. Leo Chenal

Leo-Chenal.jpg

Wisconsin linebacker Leo Chenal (5) tackles Northwestern tight end Marshall Lang (88) during the second quarter of their game Saturday, November 13, 2021 at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wis. Wisconsin beat Northwestern 35-7.
Uwgrid14 10

The Wisconsin junior Leo Chenal was named the Big Ten Butkus-Fitzgerald linebacker of the year, an FWAA All American, and could team with C.J. Edwards for an All Badgers linebacker group.

Chenal finished second in the Big Ten in tackles per game (10.6), was fourth in total tackles (106) despite missing the first two games of the season.

The junior led the league in tackles for loss (1.7 per game) and also finished fourth in sacks (0.7 per game).

10. Quay Walker

Quay-Walker.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

Another of Georgia’s stud defenders, Walker can flat out run, and led Georgia in tackles in back-to-back games against Kentucky and Florida when he set a career-high with 13.

Walker is in his first full season as a starter now as a senior, and the late bloomer could move up draft boards with a solid showing at the Reese’s Senior Bowl.

11. Troy Andersen

Troy-Andersen.jpg

This past Wednesday, the Montana State linebacker was named a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award, which goes to the best defensive player in the FCS. The senior has racked up 116 tackles and 10.5 tackles for a loss on the year.

"I mean there’s a whole ton of players in the country that are really good and to be one of the top three that people think are the best, means a lot,” he said.

An FCS star, Andersen could be a fit for the Eagles on day-2.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/philadelphia-eagles-nfl-draft-devin-lloyd-christian-harris/

• 2 months later...

I like Leo Chenal.

1) 9.99 RAS
2) All state running back in high school.

I would like the Eagles to draft a 6'2 250 pound running back who played running back in college, who runs a 4.53 40 and has a vert of 40.5.   But there isn't one, and I'm not sure there ever has been one.  But it would be good to have one.   As a ILB,  Chenal is a good run stopper and a good blitzer and doesn't do much coverage.   But I don't see why the former all state running back couldn't be a running back again.  I don't think he forgot how to do the things that made him an all state running back, and 4.53 is a solid number for a big back, and 250 is at least 20 pounds heavier than other big backs.

21 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

I like Leo Chenal.

1) 9.99 RAS
2) All state running back in high school.

I would like the Eagles to draft a 6'2 250 pound running back who played running back in college, who runs a 4.53 40 and has a vert of 40.5.   But there isn't one, and I'm not sure there ever has been one.  But it would be good to have one.   As a ILB,  Chenal is a good run stopper and a good blitzer and doesn't do much coverage.   But I don't see why the former all state running back couldn't be a running back again.  I don't think he forgot how to do the things that made him an all state running back, and 4.53 is a solid number for a big back, and 250 is at least 20 pounds heavier than other big backs.

Stop. He’s a LB and in my opinion one of the top 5 in the draft at that position. You want to make everyone a damn RB. 

No Dean for me. I don't like 5'11" - 6 foot nothing linebackers. 

Chenal's 40 moves him way up the board - ran a 4.53

Anyone ever hear of Troy Andersen from Montana State before this week - 6'3" 243 and he ran the fastest 40 for linebackers at 4.42. Made himself a lot of money this weekend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Anyone ever hear of Troy Andersen from Montana State before this week - 6'3" 243 and he ran the fastest 40 for linebackers at 4.42. Made himself a lot of money this weekend. 

I like Muma … think he’d be a solid early day 3 pick.  

12 hours ago, time2rock said:

I like Muma … think he’d be a solid early day 3 pick.  

He'll be gone in round 2.. I like him also.  

15 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Yep, I had Anderson on my radar and was hoping he could be a possible steal in Round 3 or 4.  Not now, if the Eagles want him, they'll likely have to use their 2nd rounder on him or do a trade-up in the upper 3rd round.

In other words, once my hopes were to be dashed by not taking a LB in Round 1 as per the Eagles' usual , Anderson and Muma were my fall-back options.  Christian Harris as well.  

5 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

Yep, I had Anderson on my radar and was hoping he could be a possible steal in Round 3 or 4.  Not now, if the Eagles want him, they'll likely have to use their 2nd rounder on him or do a trade-up in the upper 3rd round.

In other words, once my hopes were to be dashed by not taking a LB in Round 1 as per the Eagles' usual , Anderson and Muma were my fall-back options.  Christian Harris as well.  

We're on the same page. Add Qway Walker to the list. 

• Like 1

yes a number of those on my list.. several of them have a good chance of moving up draft boards after the combine but i thought the same last year about Jabril Cox, LB, LSU (115th Overall)