Why Eagles should turn down reported Minshew trade interest

time2rock

Eagles fans spent much of the bye week debating how much stock should be put into Gardner Minshew torching the Jets in Week 13. Was it indicative a starter-level QB? Or just a reminder of how putrid the Jets are?

I tend to think it falls somewhere in between, but the Eagles' backup reportedly has the eye of at least one team around the league: the Carolina Panthers.

NFL.com insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday morning that the Panthers called Howie Roseman about a Gardner Minshew trade, although it happened at least a month before Minshew's start vs. New York, according to Rapoport. The trade deadline was Nov. 2.

From Rapoport:

"Sources say during the season, the Carolina Panthers spoke with Philly about Minshew, discussing what the compensation would be. They never dug deep on a possible trade, but they did discuss what it might take.

"The Panthers called before they acquired Matt Barkley and before they signed Cam Newton.

[...]

"Most teams view Minshew as at least a bridge starter with upside; at worst he's a high-level backup. Could he generate at least a mid-round pick, giving the Eagles an upgrade considering what they gave up in compensation? Perhaps."

A mid-round pick for Gardner Minshew? It sounds at first like a clear and obvious win. Roseman turning a sixth-round pick into a road win and a fourth-round pick would be a tremendous success.

But I don't think Roseman should move Minshew at all this offseason, unless a team comes out of nowhere with a surprisingly high offer, because Minshew showed in Week 13 just how valuable he is.

It's not just that Minshew played at a high level as a backup who hadn't seen real deal game action (I'm not counting a couple snaps in garbage time vs. the Lions) since Dec. 20, 2020. It's that he brings the Eagles reliable and average-to-slightly-above-average QB play at the backup position for *less than $1 million* against the cap. 

It's an absolute steal to have solid play at the most important position in football for that price. It almost defies logic.

Considering the hit rate of Day 2 and Day 3 draft picks vs. the known commodity of Minshew, I really like the idea of keeping him around next year as the team's backup, whether that's behind Hurts or someone else. Shoot, keep him around as QB3. At $965,000, that's still a steal.

I'm certainly not of the mind that Minshew is better than Hurts, and the Eagles starting Hurts the rest of the season is the correct decision. The team needs to figure out who he is as a quarterback. But in terms of skills combined with cap hit, Minshew is one of the best values in the NFL, and the Birds would be wise to realize that.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-trade-rumors-panthers-asked-eagles-about-gardner-minshew-report

• Like 1

Trade deadline passed. Can I have this writer's job? I can still keep my current one and fingerpaint my articles from the toilet doing number 2.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Eagles fans spent much of the bye week debating how much stock should be put into Gardner Minshew torching the Jets in Week 13. Was it indicative a starter-level QB? Or just a reminder of how putrid the Jets are?

I tend to think it falls somewhere in between, but the Eagles' backup reportedly has the eye of at least one team around the league: the Carolina Panthers.

NFL.com insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday morning that the Panthers called Howie Roseman about a Gardner Minshew trade, although it happened at least a month before Minshew's start vs. New York, according to Rapoport. The trade deadline was Nov. 2.

From Rapoport:

"Sources say during the season, the Carolina Panthers spoke with Philly about Minshew, discussing what the compensation would be. They never dug deep on a possible trade, but they did discuss what it might take.

"The Panthers called before they acquired Matt Barkley and before they signed Cam Newton.

[...]

"Most teams view Minshew as at least a bridge starter with upside; at worst he's a high-level backup. Could he generate at least a mid-round pick, giving the Eagles an upgrade considering what they gave up in compensation? Perhaps."

A mid-round pick for Gardner Minshew? It sounds at first like a clear and obvious win. Roseman turning a sixth-round pick into a road win and a fourth-round pick would be a tremendous success.

But I don't think Roseman should move Minshew at all this offseason, unless a team comes out of nowhere with a surprisingly high offer, because Minshew showed in Week 13 just how valuable he is.

It's not just that Minshew played at a high level as a backup who hadn't seen real deal game action (I'm not counting a couple snaps in garbage time vs. the Lions) since Dec. 20, 2020. It's that he brings the Eagles reliable and average-to-slightly-above-average QB play at the backup position for *less than $1 million* against the cap. 

It's an absolute steal to have solid play at the most important position in football for that price. It almost defies logic.

Considering the hit rate of Day 2 and Day 3 draft picks vs. the known commodity of Minshew, I really like the idea of keeping him around next year as the team's backup, whether that's behind Hurts or someone else. Shoot, keep him around as QB3. At $965,000, that's still a steal.

I'm certainly not of the mind that Minshew is better than Hurts, and the Eagles starting Hurts the rest of the season is the correct decision. The team needs to figure out who he is as a quarterback. But in terms of skills combined with cap hit, Minshew is one of the best values in the NFL, and the Birds would be wise to realize that.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-trade-rumors-panthers-asked-eagles-about-gardner-minshew-report

Trade Hurts for a pick(ANY pick lol). Shew is under contract next year also.

Depends what they do at QB. If they go with Hurts then they should move Minshew for the draft ammo. If they decide Hurts isn't the answer then they may want to keep Minshew to be a holding option. 

I like Minshew as the backup but imo if someone is willing to give up a 4 or better then you trade him. It's a good flip considering they only gave up a 6 for him if he doesn't start another game this year. They can always sign another older guy next year like they did with Flacco. Trade deadline has passed though so none of this really matters until next offseason anyway.

Can decide after you play Minshew some more and see what you have.  Think we are going to like his savvy and awareness.  Means Siri can call what he wants.  

1 hour ago, Miami said:

Can decide after you play Minshew some more and see what you have.  Think we are going to like his savvy and awareness.  Means Siri can call what he wants.  

I don't think that's going to happen though bud. I think Hurts will start once he's healthy again. 

You don't want to trade Minshew.  He is a high end back up.  Keep him.  Trade hurts and draft another QB with a strong pro arm for the 20 yard down and out, who sees the field and can process info quickly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weko said:

You don't want to trade Minshew.  He is a high end back up.  Keep him.  Trade hurts and draft another QB with a strong pro arm for the 20 yard down and out, who sees the field and can process info quickly

I do like the idea of keeping Minshew as a long term backup, regardless of whether that is behind Hurts or someone new.  He is signed through the end of next season on a cheap contract (relatively speaking, for a QB that is). 

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

I do like the idea of keeping Minshew as a long term backup, regardless of whether that is behind Hurts or someone new.  He is signed through the end of next season on a cheap contract (relatively speaking, for a QB that is). 

Yeah but is Minshew willing to settle for being a backup once his contract is up? Doubt it. He’s good enough to start for at least a handful of teams, and I’m sure when his contract expires he’ll be looking for that shot 

9 hours ago, weko said:

I'm with you on this one. Shew is signed for the '22 season also. If we're going to make a move for QB this is the time to do it. Reagor needs replaced so I am all for the Wilson pick. He stinks and his attitude stinks

On 12/16/2021 at 3:13 PM, nipples said:

Yeah but is Minshew willing to settle for being a backup once his contract is up? Doubt it. He’s good enough to start for at least a handful of teams, and I’m sure when his contract expires he’ll be looking for that shot 

He is earning 6th round money the first 4 years.  A guy in that situation has to jump at a 3 year 12-15 mil deal to get lifetime security.  I would extend him this off season when our leverage will be highest, with a year to go on his first contract.   He could be here for many years.

7 hours ago, weko said:

He is earning 6th round money the first 4 years.  A guy in that situation has to jump at a 3 year 12-15 mil deal to get lifetime security.  I would extend him this off season when our leverage will be highest, with a year to go on his first contract.   He could be here for many years.

He’d be a fool to accept that deal. Some team WILL pay him starter money as a free agent.