65 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your favorite Eagles head coach

• Dick Vermeil
    • Buddy Ryan
    • Ray Rhodes
    • Andy Reid
    • Chip Kelly
    • Doug Pederson

I left out Marion Campbell and Rich Kotite who wouldn't be getting votes anyway.  Curious to see what TATE values most in its head coaches.  Interesting in reading your reasons if you voted.

When I became a fan I was just a kid and buddy was the coach and he was my favorite coach because he was the coach if my favorite team and he seemed to say funny stuff on tv.

When Reid became the coach I was a bit older and it was a lot easier to follow the team due to increase in media availability tv contracts and internet, he was easy to root for right off the bat because he was a BYU Mormon guy, his level of success and the way he treated everyone endeared me more to him and I think he'll always be my favorite eagles coach.

Nick Sirianni

:ph34r:

23 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Doug has to be the answer here right?  First championship that I would imagine anyone posting here would remember 

This

14 minutes ago, Procus said:

past head coach

I'm sticking with Nick because he's smart

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

Doug has to be the answer here right?  First championship that I would imagine anyone posting here would remember 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

This

Dougie was given a great roster and ran with it.  He rolled with the punches when the team was hit with blows, and it was it with alot.  He had balls of iron and his coaching that year ushered in new trends like deferring on opening kickoff, going for it more on 4th and short, going for the 2 pt. conversion.  And one thing he's not given enough credit for - taking the best from Andy Reid, and after Wentz went down, from Chip Kelly who for a year, brought out an historical run for Nick Foles.  And then outcoaching and outdueling Belichik on the big stage.  Dougie did everything he needed to do that year. 

• Like 2

I loved Vermiel because he had a lot of heart and he put the team back on the map for the first time in over a decade. He made the Eagles winners

I loved Buddy Ryan because he was no-nonsense and he wasn't afraid to take shots. He built the best defense in team history 

I loved Andy Reid because he made us legitimate contenders for several years. 5 NFCCG"s in 10 years is nothing to sneeze at

But as Procus above me stated, when it all came down to it, DP is the man who got it done and he had to go toe to toe against the evil empire to get it done

Andy Reid coached so many good teams in Philadelphia. How'd he not win a Super Bowl before the Chiefs?

14 hours ago, Procus said:

I left out Marion Campbell and Rich Kotite who wouldn't be getting votes anyway.  

:roll:

I love that Doug got us our first Super Bowl and will always appreciate it... That being said for as frustrating as he could be at times with his time management and play calling and heart breaking games ive never been as excited to watch football as when Andy was here hands down... I wish he was able to get over the hump while he was here but happy he got his ring finally 

• Like 3

Four great coaches got votes.  And for all his faults, Kelly left his mark on the team.  We've been fortunate to have some top notch coaches and teams to follow through the years.

On 12/17/2021 at 1:49 AM, JohnB said:

I loved Andy Reid because he made us legitimate contenders for several years. 5 NFCCG"s in 10 years is nothing to sneeze at

But as Procus above me stated, when it all came down to it, DP is the man who got it done and he had to go toe to toe against the evil empire to get it done

That's where I'm at. Thing with Doug is he was kind of a flash in the pan. Bright flash but still kind of a flash. Andy had the Eagles in the Super Bowl discussion for several years. Unfortunately for Andy except for 2004 it was discussion.

Not Dick, not Ray, not Doug, most definitely not Chip.  Buddy was a true Philly personality and likely would have been even more popular had he given a rat’s arse about offense.  So by process of elimination, my answer is Andy.  

• Like 1

I went with Andy because of the sustained period of excellence.  Year in and year out he fielded good teams.  And I have to think that if he was left to his own devices and allowed to re-invent himself in Philly after 2012, he would have continued to do well here.  Would there have been a championship?  Who knows.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Procus said:

I went with Andy because of the sustained period of excellence.  Year in and year out he fielded good teams.  And I have to think that if he was left to his own devices and allowed to re-invent himself in Philly after 2012, he would have continued to do well here.  Would there have been a championship?  Who knows.

Reid didn't win a Super Bowl until 2019. I don't think Reid wins one in Philly without an elite QB like Mahomes. Reid may have fell to Patriots again in 2017 with Eagles.

On 12/16/2021 at 7:50 PM, Procus said:

I left out Marion Campbell and Rich Kotite who wouldn't be getting votes anyway. 

I actually liked the Swamp Fox, but not as the HC, as the DC. Of course, I was pretty young at that time and it was pre-internet, so I actually knew fairly little about him.

I had high hopes for Kotite but he dashed those pretty quickly. 

As for the rest, Dick was the first head coach that I actually remember so he's always going to be high on my list. Had he not burned out, I think he'd have gotten us a Lombardi at some point. 

I loved Buddy's attitude and his hatred for Dallas. 

Andy won us a lot of games but could be frustrating as hell, especially with clock management. 

Doug won us a Lombardi and I think should probably still be the coach today.

Favorite? Only because of the Lombardi, I'll say Doug. Sentimentally though, I may go with Dick. The man should make the Hall of Fame this go around, and I believe fittingly so. My man Harold's there, Dick needs to be next.  

3 hours ago, Procus said:

I picked Doug, he got it done.

With Reid, he had his fair share of issues; but, he was also snake bitten AF too. 

16 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I actually liked the Swamp Fox, but not as the HC, as the DC.

This is a point I think a lot don't get.  Campbell was a great defensive coordinator.  Before that, he was a great player.  Guy was a notable Eagle, he just wasn't a good head coach.

• Like 2

The guy who won the Super Bowl. Would Buddy and Vermeil really be considered modern era? Home computers and Cell Phones weren’t even much of a thing when these guys coached. Come 2022 it would have been 40 years since DV coached the Eagles. 

Andy - He could drive me crazy at times, but I became an Eagle fan during his tenure, and will always see him as the guy.

13 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

It’s crazy to me how many people voted Andy over Doug 

I'm not surprised. Andy was beloved by almost everyone and still is

10 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Ok - find me a pic of Andy in eagles gear that looks like this 

image.jpeg.56361af335ecee46c82c5990e7bcf00f.jpeg

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just said I'm not surprised Andy is leading

• Like 1