5 moves the Eagles can make to create $30 million in cap space for 2022

time2rock

5 moves the Eagles can make to create $30 million in cap space for 2022

Slay-lockdown.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

December 10, 2021 1:25 pm ET

The NFL recently confirmed that the salary cap will rise to $208 million this spring, after the league and NFLPA previously set the salary cap for the 2021 season at $182.5 million but agreed back in May to raise the floor in 2022, and again in 2023.

With the Carson Wentz dead money and several other huge deals coming off the books, here’s how the Eagles can create even more cap space for 2022.

Eagles expected salary cap

Howie-Roseman-Eagles-GM-ranking-The-Athl

Mandatory Credit: Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports

While teams like the Packers, Cowboys, Rams, Saints, and Texans all project to be over the $208 million cap next year, Philadelphia will sit with around $14 million as of now and the potential for $30 million more to be freed up if Philadelphia makes moves or restructure the deals for Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, and others.

That number is dwarfed by the cap space expected for teams like the 49ers, Chargers, Dolphins, Jaguars, Washington, Bengals, and Colts, who could all have in excess of $50+ million in initial cap space.

1. Extend CB Darius Slay

Darius-Slay-Elijah-Moore.jpg

New York Jets wide receiver Elijah Moore (8) cannot complete a pass with pressure from Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Darius Slay (2) in the second half. The Eagles defeat the Jets, 33-18, at MetLife Stadium on Sunday, Dec. 5, 2021, in East Rutherford.
Nyj Vs Phi

Cap savings: $12,304,000

Slay will be 31 at the start of the 2022 NFL season and he’s a viable candidate for an extension after a potential All-Pro season in 2021.

Slay is due $16 million in 2022, with a cap hit of $22 million.

2. Cut Brandon Brooks

Brandon-Brooks-trade-1.jpg

(AP Photo/Matt Slocum, Pool)

Cap savings: $13,500,000 — dead money $5.9 million

One of the top right guards over the past five years, Brooks will be 33 at the start of the 2022 NFL season and Jack Driscoll has shown that he’s fully capable of being a solid right guard.

Brooks could return at a reduced rate after a post-June 1 release date.

3. Cut Isaac Seumalo

Isaac-Seumalo-PFF.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

Cap Savings: $5,856,000

With Landon Dickerson ascending and the Eagles continuing to add depth along the offensive line, Seumalo could be in-line for a sizable pay cut or moving on permanently.

4. Let Derek Barnett walk

Derek-Barnett-sack.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports

Cap hit: $7,248,800

2022 is a void year on his contract anyway, but in terms of actual production versus value, allowing Barnett to move on would be huge for Philadelphia.

5. Trade Andre Dillard

Andre-Dillard.jpg

(Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)

Cap savings: $2.2 million

After signing Le’Raven Clark to an extension, look for the Eagles to package Dillard in a deal, potentially for 2023 assets, as Philadelphia saves cap space and moves on into the Jordan Mailata era officially from a contract standpoint.

Random salary cap information

Eagles-Raiders-Fletcher-Cox-national-med

(AP Photo/David Becker)

Cutting Fletcher Cox with a post-June 1 designation would save the Eagles $25 million, but Philadelphia would also deal with an incredible $40 million in dead cap space per Over The Cap.

A post-June 1 designation would save Philadelphia $2 million and they’d incur a dead cap hit of $12 million.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/philadelphia-eagles-roster-moves-salary-cap-2022-fletcher-cox/

I like Slay, and I think given our standard operating procedures, we likely will extend him as the article suggests, but 31 is up there for a corner. He'll end up like Brooks/Graham/Jeffrery last year as an overpriced aging player whose salary doesn't match his production or availability. Also, given Driscoll and Dickerson's injury history, I don't think there's any way we should cut Seumalo. We finally have some solid depth along the offensive line, no reason to mess that up. 

2 hours ago, Kz! said:

I like Slay, and I think given our standard operating procedures, we likely will extend him as the article suggests, but 31 is up there for a corner. He'll end up like Brooks/Graham/Jeffrery last year as an overpriced aging player whose salary doesn't match his production or availability. Also, given Driscoll and Dickerson's injury history, I don't think there's any way we should cut Seumalo. We finally have some solid depth along the offensive line, no reason to mess that up. 

I agree with the concern over extending Slay.  Howie has made a mess of the cap from extending aging players too often and then being hamstrung having to either keep them when their productivity no where near matches their salary or cutting them and taking massive dead money hits to the cap.  He is under contract for 2 more years ... let it play out and see if you can develop some young talent to move into starting roles.  

• Like 1

I'm okay with the Slay extension, cutting Barnett, and that's it. With the musical chairs on the OL, getting rid of young quality starters (Seumalo) or young quality depth (Dillard) is dumb. Seumalo or Landon are your Kelce replacement, and the other plays LG. So your OL next year could be Mailata-Dickerson-Seumalo-Driscoll-Lane, with Dillard, Herbig, Awosika, etc. as depth.

• Like 1

There is no sense in overpaying 10's of millions for guards when you have already replaced them.  Dickerson and Driscoll are players you have to put on the field.  With Opeta looking like a solid #3 and a Kelce heir apparent probably coming in the draft, Brooks and Seumalo should be gone.  Slay's restructure will be more about guaranteeing 2 more years at a reduced cap hit.  I think Barnett has been better than his stats and will bloom elsewhere but with a 1st rd DE coming in next year's draft and Sweat already signed he's probably not getting an extention.  Still, I see him here for his 5th year.  Why not? At 7.5m he is a solid rotational guy who plays the run well.  Sweat has yet to prove he can handle more than 50% snaps & the Eagles already have the cap space for a big WR additiion.

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

There is no sense in overpaying 10's of millions for guards when you have already replaced them.  Dickerson and Driscoll are players you have to put on the field.  With Opeta looking like a solid #3 and a Kelce heir apparent probably coming in the draft, Brooks and Seumalo should be gone.  Slay's restructure will be more about guaranteeing 2 more years at a reduced cap hit.  I think Barnett has been better than his stats and will bloom elsewhere but with a 1st rd DE coming in next year's draft and Sweat already signed he's probably not getting an extention.  Still, I see him here for his 5th year.  Why not? At 7.5m he is a solid rotational guy who plays the run well.  Sweat has yet to prove he can handle more than 50% snaps & the Eagles already have the cap space for a big WR additiion.

Barnett is in his 5th year now (he was drafted in 2017 ... they picked up his 5th year option and paid him $10M for 2021). 

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Barnett is in his 5th year now (he was drafted in 2017 ... they picked up his 5th year option and paid him $10M for 2021). 

Ah, right, the article confused me.  Then he's gone.  But I do think this guy will blossom in a place like Seattle or Buffalo.